Official Football Thread

Eleven people have been charged with indecent chanting at a football match after an inquiry into suspected abuse aimed at Sol Campbell.

What does anyone else make of this? Personally, I think it's pathetic to charge people with abusive chanting. Half of all chanting at any football match is abusive. Most footballers take it in their stride, but Sol Campbell and Harry Redknapp seem to take it so personally, beyond belief.

Looking at another of today's stories, and it really doesn't compare, yet I'm sure the punishments will be comparable:
Fan charged over 50p coin attack

I guess it depends on where the line is drawn in regards to abusive chants. As you say, most of them do take it in their stride but it doesn't state if the abuse is racially motivated or not - if it was, I don't think we need that. If they're just calling him a wanker, or whatever, for leaving Spurs to go to Arsenal, then I think he just needs to blinker that out and get on with it. As long as players go from one club to their bitterest of rivals, this will continue.

But seriously, what ever is chanted, the 54 year old man from East Sussex really should know better. :D

As for the coin, different kettle of fish - that does deserve some form of punishment.

However, I'm so f'ing excited about this game tomorrow night - the mighty Shrimpers take on lowly Chelsea. The games a sell-out (apparently) but it's live on TV. If I'm still posting in 6 hours time, it's because I can't friggin' sleep.

But what a time to play Chelsea - but I do fear that Southend could feel the backlash of the Man U defeat.

Albie said:
I guess it depends on where the line is drawn in regards to abusive chants. As you say, most of them do take it in their stride but it doesn't state if the abuse is racially motivated or not - if it was, I don't think we need that. If they're just calling him a wanker, or whatever, for leaving Spurs to go to Arsenal, then I think he just needs to blinker that out and get on with it. As long as players go from one club to their bitterest of rivals, this will continue.

I think the chant was mainly (supposedly) homophobic, but that's nothing new/unusual, and I find the whole "racist chanting" debate a grey area anyway.

Albie said:
As for the coin, different kettle of fish - that does deserve some form of punishment.
But what do think that punishment is likely to be? A life-ban from Aston Villa, maybe from all football grounds, and possibly a fine. Probably no more, and not much more than the infamous "Abusive Eleven" will get.

national acrobat said:
But what do think that punishment is likely to be? A life-ban from Aston Villa, maybe from all football grounds, and possibly a fine. Probably no more, and not much more than the infamous "Abusive Eleven" will get.
Very true. But until they get some sort of consistency in the punishment for this sort of stuff, then this sort of debate will rage on. If this guy ends up with a fine and the eleven chanters have been handed a life ban, then a serious rethink is needed.

national acrobat said:
I think the chant was mainly (supposedly) homophobic, but that's nothing new/unusual, and I find the whole "racist chanting" debate a grey area anyway.

I never think lightly about something like this. Let them have their punishment.

Still, I am a bit surprised that all these names of those people are published, but then again:
In England everything is on the street, from bank accounts 'til secret government information.     :nuts2:

Being at a conference in Qatar, I wasn't able to catch the match between United and Chelsea, I found out about the result on Monday ... still a great moment when I realized what had happened, but bad that I missed it. Especially since we had a night off the day before, and managed to find a pub where they showed Stoke vs Liverpool ... anyway, I've read that United did great, Chelsea were crap, and few things could please me more. Besides that - with the draw at Britannia Stadium, United now have the opportunity to go past Liverpool by winning the two games in hand (the first being played tonight, not going to be easy - Wigan's form is great lately).

However, I went to this thread because I wanted to share the following news with you; the Norwegian Football Association has appointed Egil "Drillo" Olsen as caretaker manager for the national team until a permanent replacement for Åge Hareide can be found. Olsen was manager for Norway from 1991 to 1998 and lead Norway to play in the ¨94 and '98 World Cups. He was less successful as a club coach - you English folk may know him as the man who managed Wimbledon to relegation. I wonder what he can achieve with a team which seems to be down for the count. We do have some quality players and should do much better than what was the case in 2008.

PS: By the way, a big "Good luck" to the Shrimpers tonight. Might ye thrash Chelsea.

Forostar said:
I never think lightly about something like this. Let them have their punishment.

Do you think the section of crowd at Southend I just heard chant "Ashley takes it up the arse" should be punished too?

As I said before, this is all down to where do you draw the line. If you was to give life bans for offensive chants in football grounds, we will end up with no bugger going. It happens, it may not be pleasant, it may not be tasteful, but it happens. Personally, I don't like those "monkey chants" that some players are subjected to and do feel that needs to be stamped out - but to give a life ban to someone for it is a tad over the top.

Seemingly, those chants had no affect on Ashley Cole and he was tonight given the man-of-the-match.

As for the game, well I was loving it - until the 44th minute. Ballack is no longer on my Christmas card list. :mad:

Damn!!

Ibisevic blow for Hoffenheim - Star striker out with knee injury

Bundesliga leaders Hoffenheim will be without star striker Vedad Ibisevic for the rest of the season.

The Bosnia international, who has been in spectacular form for the Bundesliga surprise package this season, will be sidelined for six months after damaging cruciate ligaments in his right knee during a friendly with Hamburg on Wednesday.

Ibisevic flew back to Germany after the match from the club's winter training camp in Spain and an MRI scan has now confirmed that the Bundesliga's top-scorer will miss the rest of the campaign.

"His absence will be a huge weakness for us as we have lost one of our most important players," Hoffenheim general manager Jan Schindelmeiser commented.

Schindelmeiser and coach Ralf Rangnick will now be looking to find a replacement for Ibisevic, who has bagged 18 goals in just 17 league matches for Hoffenheim this season.

I seriously cannot believe that in the League Cup semi, Tottenham took a 4-1 lead to Turf Moor....and ended up playing extra time.

It would have been somewhat funny, but for my nephews sake, I'm glad they won the tie. ;)

Quite unbelievable that Burnley (or Spurs) actually managed to make that second leg exciting  :D

FA Cup this weekend. Perhaps the most surprising result so far was Doncaster Rovers - Aston Villa 0-0, I actually caught the last 30 of that match in the pub where I also watched United vs Spurs. Doncaster were definitely not run over in thpse 30 minutes and actually had a few chances to win it. (It should be mentioned that Villa had the biggest ...) Another surprising one; Pompey go out after losing 2-0 against Swansea ...

The match between Man United and Spurs was actually decided by a brilliant move from two former Spurs players. Carrick's pass forward to Berbatov was sublime and the finish was clinical. However Spurs deserve credit for their 0-1 goal as well, a really nice cross into the box and an equally fine header.

... and Mr. Harris must be pleased with having the 'Ammers safely through after beating Hartlepool 2-0 away.

Well, as I've said here before, Benitez has lost the plot.Went to the Wigan game, and couldn't believe what I was seeing in the 2nd half.why did he take Gerrard off when we needed a goal.

Why are Lucas, Dosseina, Aurelio, Benayoun,Arbeloa still at Liverpool.
Whats happened to Insua who was doing a good job at left back, I havent heard that hes injured or anything.
Why doesn't he either give Babbel a run, or get rid because he was absolutely useless last night(as usual)
Whats he doing with Robbie Keane.
Where is the new Gerrard,Fowler, Carragher in the youth team.

I'm not happy,particularly as I was given a load of stick by the Mancs at work today.

The turning point for Benitez this season? That "Keegan" moment a few weeks back. They've all been rattled by Fergie and they've all taken the bait.

national acrobat said:
I'm now convinced that Benitez is one of the worst managers in the Premiership - he simply hasn't got a clue at all.

Looks like he has when it comes to the big games, but as long as he can't make his team perform equally well against mid-table teams, they will keep dropping points. I was actually quite surprised when they scored ... the game had "draw" written all over it until Lampard was sent off. A quite harsh sending-off as well, but then there were other candidates for early showers that were overlooked.

So "Sar" broke another record! :)

1,122 minutes without conceding a Premier League goal! He must deny West Ham for 75 minutes next Sunday to beat the British record of 1,196 minutes without conceding a goal, held by Rangers’ Chris Woods. The world record of 1,275 minutes, by Atletico Madrid’s Abel Renso, is also in his sights.

Back