Official Football Thread

This entire thing is ridiculous. The World Cup starts on Sunday and I don't feel any thrill what so ever. It might have been different if Norway were qualified, but I am not used to feeling indifferent to a major football tournament taking place even if we're not there.

The tournament is bought. The hosting nation's own team, I guess, consists of players who are bought. And they're even buying fans. Let's see if money can buy them love, or if this becomes a tournament which everyone except the winners (and any teams who greatly exceed expectations) will want to forget as soon as possible.

Canada qualified and I'm interested in following how they do, but frankly, Qatar sucks, what a terrible choice, and it was clearly purchased for the stature of hosting it. Just a reminder that FIFA doesn't give a fuck about the game.

They've banned beer sales as well in the stadiums. What a fucking fiasco this is.

Not surprised. I believe many pages and years earlier in this thread I told it will probably happen.

The tournament is bought.

It stunk corruption all the way and for many years. Blatter is banned from FIFA until 2027 when we would rather be in prison.
It stunk all the way since 2004 when South Africa won the bid but it took Crimea to be annexed for shit to hit the fan for good in 2015. Which is sad. Everybody could see what was going on already 10 years before that.

Wait a second. They announced beer ban just 36 hours before the start of the tournament? The fucking bastards!
Sad to say but again, I'm not surprised.

What the block supporting the "Rules" fails to say is that they changed the agreement in the last moment (you don't do that). Also that bribing is against the Rules and that's how they have been awarded the tournament in the first place.

Rules my ass.

There are rumours (based on training matches) that Van Gaal will pick Andries Noppert as goalkeeper vs Senegal.

Noppert (age 28), the tallest player of the World Cup (2.03 m), never played a match for Oranje before.

Last edited:
This opening session is creeping me out.
Why did Morgan Freeman make a random appearance?
Why did they choose to make a statement about inclusiveness by picking the only possible type of impaired person who can't play football?
Why are they waving flags with the country flags printed on them and not just the country flags?
Why did they suddenly have a bunch of minions from a totalitarian dystopia state?
Why were the walking jerseys so unsettling?
What on earth was wrong with the trousers of the red dancers?
Why is their mascot a kufiyah that looks like an imposing version of Casper the Friendly Ghost?

Only saw bits and pieces of the first game, but Qatar look brutal, at one point a guy took a throw in and threw it straight to an unmarked Ecuador player.

The bastards of FIFA have decided to punish players on the field with a yellow card when they wear the OneLove band, instead of fining the national football association.

Last edited:
Would be interesting if they all wore one, and the ref had to hand out 11 yellows, could make the tournament farcical with umpteen players sent off for 2 yellows

Honestly, I'm not going to watch any of this. It's disgusting that they became the Qatari's mouthpiece at the last minute. No spine, just cash.

Back