Official Football Thread

PSG is the only team that I truly dislike in that group and would actively cheer against. Not because of the club itself or the players, in fact they have two of my favorite players in the game (Verratti and Mbappé) on their squad, but because of the Qatari regime that funds them. It's impossible for me to detach that team from the corrupt, ethically dubious regime. It sucks that this consideration has to come into play, but it's inescapable - the money being invested comes from the royal family/from the state.

RB Leipzig is a corporate project team and nobody really supports them as their #1 club. On the other hand, it's an examplary club in terms of how it's run at the corporate level, and managed at the footballing level. I don't have a "money ruined football" sentiment, nor am I anti-multinational corporations as a rule, so they're okay. Going to be cheering for them against PSG. Also, I have to return the favor for them giving me bragging rights, I mentioned them as my surprise team to reach the Semis to a couple of friends earlier in the season.

-----

FC Bayern's talent-poaching is incredibly annoying and their high-level management has gotten involved in far too many corrupt economic activities to be well-liked. That being said, the club itself has a rich tradition, a large fanbase and by all means belongs here. I prefer their brand of football as well.

FC Barcelona have been a team I dislike strictly for footballing reasons - because of their knack for play-acting and because of the dubious refereeing that has favored them in UEFA competitions over the years. That being said, they are of the same mold as Bayern and whatever problems I have with them all seem to be football-related. I'm fine with either team here.

-----

Manchester City is PSG-lite, but the Emirati regime is the lesser of two evils compared to the Qatari regime. That isn't high praise however, and the UAE do have a strong alliance and economic ties with the Saudi regime, which is perhaps even worse than the Qatari one. Likewise with PSG, I don't have anything against the club itself or its players, but I'll cheer against them against any opponent but PSG.

It's an afterthought now because it happened in the 80s, but Lyon is actually also another owner-made club - Jean-Michel Aulas essentially made the club into what it is. As I said before, I don't have an issue with clubs being run as businesses or investments being made by wealthy businessmen -I think financial investment was always an influential factor in football- but I felt it should be pointed out. Aulas is a bit of a tit, but Lyon's academy structure is admirable and it'd be nice to see them advance.

So CL semis are likely to be:

PSG - owned by Qatar, which bribed its way to World Cup hosting, shrugged off dozens of workers dying while building stadiums for that World Cup, and is also a country in which homosexuality is illegal

RB Leipzig - a team with no fans, founded 11 years ago and owned by a global conglomerate

Bayern or Barcelona - two superclubs who at least have a tradition and actual fans, but...

Bayern is more sympathetic to me as they at least nurture young talents, but on the other hand poach a lot of them from other German teams, mostly for free
vs.
Barcelona who used to nurture young talents, but now just sell them off and buy players who don't fit but are 10x more expensive

most likely Manchester City - owned by UAE investors, another country with dubious laws where stoning people to death is legal, but homosexuality isn't

Lyon is really the most sympathetic team here, but I doubt they can get past Man City...

Sad and weak!

It is starting to look like the game is gone alright, Juve going for 10 in a row, Bayern on 8 or 9, PSG similar, only 3 clubs in Spain with any hope of winning it. Just as stark in smaller leagues as well, though not on the same scale, but the teams getting regular European money are dominating.

PSG were unbelievably lucky, 2 goals while Atalanta effectively had 10 men with Freuler injured, I'll be sick if they win it.

Barca being smashed 4-1 at half time.

The last few years there's always been big teams taking hidings in the knock out stages. You'ld wonder what the reason for it is? I'd be inclined to think that the emphasis on spending big money on a galactico or two rather than building a strong team leaves some teams vulnerable, maybe a lack of competition in some leagues as well plays a part, teams can't step up when they actually face a challenge.

Not at all surprised about it, having kept up with the form of the two teams after the lockdown. Told friends before the game that Barcelona were in for an embarrassing result. Barcelona never stood a change against an incredibly athletic, high pressing Bayern side on insane form with their lack of physicality, unimpressive midfield possession control and overreliance on Messi.

May I add this, this Bayern team strongly reminds me of the '13 Bayern side, which was my all-time favorite team to watch aside from '04 Arsenal. Having fallen in love with the game with that Arsenal side, my taste in football is such that my favorite teams are ones who simultaneously have high levels of physicality/athleticism, positional awareness/intelligence and ball technique/flair and play a direct style of football. This Bayern team fits the bill perfectly.

City out, Leipzig and Lyon in the semi finals, you love to see it.

I like this covid format, feels more like a world cup than the champions league.

City out, Leipzig and Lyon in the semi finals, you love to see it.

I like this covid format, feels more like a world cup than the champions league.

I like it as well. Quarters may be pushing it, but I could see UEFA exploring with a Semis & Final at a neutral venue format a la FA Cup.

What Lyon has done is very impressive - great youth academy there. I am upset about Houssem Aouar, who has been #1 in my wish list for Arsenal for a long time, probably playing himself out of the Gunners' price range though.

If the Final ends up being PSG-Bayern, it could be a cracker. Bayern are dominating but they do play a super high line and PSG have Mbappé and Neymar.

Very poor goal for United to give away to lose that one, plus a good few chances missed at the start of the second half.

Europa League is shit anyway. Mickey Mouse cup. Whoever wins it should be embarrassed really.
e40ccfa7-fb8b-4331-9415-c87b1cc437f0.gif

The UEFA Cup used to be a great competition before UEFA shat all over it.

The UEFA Cup used to be a great competition before UEFA shat all over it.

Yep. Turned it into a "Champions League, but much worse" thing. First they increased the number of teams entering the CL from the bigger leagues, then they changed the knock-out format to one that mirrors the CL.

Not sure if this was posted before or if you guys had noticed it. Stefan de Vrij was chosen as best defender of the Serie A. De Vrij made a remarkable development after he switched from Lazio to Inter.

Koeman will watch the EL semi final with particular interest tonight. He usually always uses Virgil van Dijk en Matthijs de Ligt. But De Vrij is not really worse (absolutely not; defending is an art in Italy). Koeman could use all these 3 defenders in some cases but it is also not unlikely that De Vrij could replace (e.g.) De Ligt in Oranje in the near future. Who knows.

Edit:

Hm. Koeman is going to Barcelona, his dreamjob.

Last edited:
You definitely jinxed that one Foro.

Romelu Lukaku scored twice against Shaktar Donetsk. He will be in the UEFA Cup Final with Alexis Sanchez and Ashley Young. Manchester United will not be in the final. Ooops.

Paris Saint-Germain shirts and merchandise have been banned from the centre of Marseille on Sunday because of fears that PSG fans might be attacked. I had no idea those two clubs had such a fierce rivalry!

Biggest rivalry in France. If I recall correctly, the main cause for the animosity is Marseille beating PSG to the title by match-fixing in 1993.

Back