Official Football Thread

Decent show from Ireland, just not quite good enough in the final third. I think McCarthy should have changed things sooner, Whelan was tired and was easily beat in the build up to Denmark's goal. It went down to the wire, as many thought it would as soon as the group draw was made. Most of us would probably have taken a play off place at the outset and here we are.

Decent show from Ireland, just not quite good enough in the final third. I think McCarthy should have changed things sooner, Whelan was tired and was easily beat in the build up to Denmark's goal. It went down to the wire, as many thought it would as soon as the group draw was made. Most of us would probably have taken a play off place at the outset and here we are.

The way the game was panning out I thought it was set up for a late 1-0 win for Ireland, but we were caught napping for the Denmark goal.

I agree re: playoff, Denmark and Switzerland are better teams than us. We were poor in the group, barely beating Gibraltar and only drawing with Georgia, if you want to have any chance of automatic qualification we would have needed to beat Georgia twice and score a lot of goals against gibraltar. 7 goals from 8 games is terrible given the danes had 20 odd goals.

Norway finished 3rd in the group despite losing only one match (Spain away) ...but that's what happens when you can't defend a lead. We were 2-0 up against both Sweden and Romania at home, but ended with draws. 1-0 up at half time away to Sweden, another draw. Finally Romania away, we had the initiative but failed to capitalize, the inevitable happened, Romania took the lead - and despite us equalizing, that was that.

If you only beat the likes of Malta and Faroe Islands, you don't qualify. Nations League playoff against Serbia awaits.

Ole will be lookin over his shoulder now...
And Zinidine Zidane.

I'm sure the chairmen of Bayern Munich and Real Madrid will be on the phone to Poch as soon as possible.

Meanwhile someone is on the phone to White Hart Lane...

279649.jpg

tottenham_chairman_daniel_levy_172659.jpg

Norwegian crime author/musician/Spurs fan Jo Nesbø told a major Norwegian newspaper his opinion: "This is like firing Luke Skywalker and hiring Darth Vader. The darkest day in my time as a Spurs fan - I'd rather lose every game against Arsenal for seven years".

This explains the somewhat convoluted way the Euro 2020 qualifying play-offs work. It is divided into four paths based on whatever UEFA felt like doing at the time or something. There are some interesting match-ups in there.

Path B has these semi-finals:

Bosnia-Herzegovina v Northern Ireland
Slovakia v Republic of Ireland

@Niall Kielt @srfc it could be Ireland vs. Ireland in a play-off final for a place in Euro 2020. Arguably the perfect way to resolve the Brexit border issue?

In Path C, Scotland will play Bulgaria, Israel, Hungary or Romania in the semi-final. Seeing how dreadful Bulgaria were in both games against England I don't think there's anything to fear from them, sorry @Ariana. Then it's @Night Prowler vs @Dr. Eddies Wingman in the other semi-final.

Path C has a semi-final between True Macedonia and Lesser Albania. Nice local derby there.

Happy to have Jose nack in the league and Im very glad hes not at my team.
I wonder if he will manage to make Spurs into a turgid, non-attacking team? Probably.

In terms of a North vs South Deathmatch; I cant remember another time when I, as a Republic fan, was worried about playin the North but now I am, a bit. I hope it happens, though, havent had a good riot in ages.

Back