Official Football Thread

"England will have to beat an an old enemy in the Nations League semi-finals to be in with a chance of a long awaited trophy"

2382.jpg

England will face a resurgent Netherlands in their Nations League semi-final next June.

Gareth Southgate’s team will face Ronald Koeman’s Dutch in Guimarães in Thursday 6 June. The other semi-final will be between Portugal and Switzerland and take place the day before, 5 June, in Porto.

Should England win their semi-final, which Uefa have announced will also feature the use of VAR technology, they will go on to play in the final in Porto on Sunday 9 June.

If they lose there will also be a third place play-off match in Guimarães, also on 9 June.

Southgate said England have been pitted against a team who are at a similar stage of development to his own. “We have really enjoyed the tournament, the Nations League has been a great success,” he said.

“The quality of matches for us for our development has been exceptional. We are now looking forward to the semi-finals, four very good teams.

“We play a team in Holland who are at a similar stage to us, developing, lots of exciting young players in both sides and you can see the impact Ronald has had.

“It’s a very exciting game to look forward to and for us a second semi-final. We have a bit longer to prepare for this one, so we are looking forward to the summer.”

Koeman was involved in another famous tussle between the two countries as he scored against England in a World Cup qualifier which went a long way to denying Graham Taylor’s men a place at the 1994 tournament.

The former Everton manager said: “We know it is always a battle between England and Holland. We have a lot of respect for the England team, we have a lot of players playing at various clubs in the Premier League.

“Gareth is giving confidence, possibility, opportunity to young players and that is the same way as we like to do in Holland.”

I doubt it too. I will just take any Schadenfreude I can get along the way. Liverpool defeats and City defeats are both enjoyable things to me, either of them winning the title is :puke:

Back