Official Football Thread

A very interesting interview with Per Mertesacker, providing some insights on the hardships that he has had to face as a professional football player. I'm sure we all know it's not just fun and games, but it seems that some people are able to take the pressure better than others. Sad that he has decided to quit, but it makes sense, I guess.

Technically the record is 34, shared by Andrew Cole and Alan Shearer. The league had 22 teams back then so more games.

Mohamed Salah with four goals today. Up to 28 goals for the season. Chelsea rejects continuing to run havoc.
Roma sold him for 42 million euros + 5 million in bonuses. For comparison, in the same transfer window (although after Neymar inflated everything), Gylfi Sigurdsson cost Everton 45 million euros + 5 million in bonuses.

I'm really surprised about Salah. I thought he was good at Roma but never would've thought he's gonna score so much more in EPL. Roma from last season was maybe on par with Liverpool in quality, although Roma had and still has a much better defence. It's not like Roma played defensive football though, Dzeko scored 28 goals in the league last year. But Salah's scored 2x more than last year and the season is not even over yet. I'll attribute it to a lower quality of defending in EPL.

Anyway, 8 victories and 1 draw in 9 games in Serie A for Milan and Gattuso in 2018.

Michael Keane and Davy Klaassen cost Everton about 55 million euros in total. That's even worse.

As for Salah, I wouldn't say it's the lower quality of defending. It's more about the style of play. Serie A is the slowest one among the Top 5 leagues. It's no surprise that Salah excels in a league that's much faster. Especially since he plays on the fastest team in that league.

This probably means that England are genuine contenders to win the World Cup now, yes?
God no. They're going to barely make it through the group stage and then lose in the first knockout game in embarrassing fashion.

Are you... an England fan? :confused:
My international football teams go in this order: Canada > England > USA > Sweden > Netherlands

My international football teams go in this order: Canada > England > USA > Sweden > Netherlands
But you lived in Nova Scotia Loosey...

giphy.gif

Back