Official Football Thread

15220232_1194819307221629_6768030371986724176_n.jpg

I generally avoid using Liverpool players in FPL, but I transferred in Coutinho for the Sunderland game and even made him captain and now he's off injured with probably a broken ankle. Also friggin' Pep benched De Bruyne, ffs.

In any sport, it's usually the role player/bench warmer types that turn into great coaches. Probably because they tend to move teams a lot and learn from different coaches, and because they spend most of their time sitting on the sideline watching.

There are exceptions, of course.

Last edited:
Very true. Terry Venables, not the greatest player ever but good coach. Bryan Robson, great player only mediocre coach.

Examples are endless, even today.

José Mourinho only had a seven year pro career and spent it mostly in the Portuguese 2nd League.
Arsene Wenger only had a six year pro career and spent it mostly in the French 2nd League.
Jürgen Klopp played almost his entire career at Mainz, either fighting relegation or playing in the German 2nd League and wasn't a remarkable player.
Louis Van Gaal played for several mid-tier Dutch teams and was never close to being capped.
Unai Emery spent most of his career playing in the Spanish 2nd League.
Jorge Jesus played sporadically for mid-low tier Portuguese teams.
Joachim Löw usually played in the German 2nd League.

Carlo Ancelotti and Antonio Conte were more high caliber, but they were never stars either, just starters for high caliber teams like Roma, Milan and Juventus. They were capped 26 and 20 times, respectively.

Pep Guardiola, Diego Simeone and Zinedine Zidane are exceptions, but only Zidane was a full fledged superstar among them. Guardiola and Simeone were strong leaders on the pitch but they weren't carrying their teams.

When it comes to clubs I support, I really didn't expect that Milan will be 2nd and Manchester United 6th at the end of November. Overachievers and underachievers, respectively.

Who knows Kasper Dolberg? A Danish nineteen year old phenomenon currently playing for Ajax. (@SixesAlltheway ?) At Ajax people already compare him with Ibrahimovic (quality/physique). Ten days ago, he scored a first-half hat-trick. This made him the youngest non-Dutch player ever to score a hat-trick for Ajax.

This older goal is pretty nice as well!

Last edited:
Back