Official Football Thread

Who knows Norway will do better vs countries that don't defend like a handball team
Like Germany?

Sorry, I'm desillusioned and in the process of drowning my sorrows. On a night where we lose to Azerbaijan, I can't find the positives. Maybe tomorrow. Maybe next week.

I should just sit and watch youtube vids of highlights from the 90s.

We drew and lost to Azerbaijan in EURO 2004 qualifications, it's probably our biggest footballing embarassment that I can remember. Everyone knows the name of Gurban Gurbanov who scored 3 goals in those 2 matches...

I didn't notice who scored for them tonight. I only noticed that 1. the ref gave a free kick for absolutely nothing, and 2. our players did absolutely nothing to prevent Azerbaijan from scoring from that free kick.

I'm pretty sure Høgmo's finished after the San Marino game and that FC København will be looking for a new manager soon.

On a different note, again: tonight showed that Montenegro >>> Kazakhstan!

All this Azerbaijan, Kazakhstan, Uzbekistan talk makes me want to pretend to be a Turkish racist and talk smack.

Scotland get their usual crappy draw against Lithuania.
Scotland have a fairly reasonable chance of getting a result against England next month. You know, kick a man while he's down and all that.

That said, I don't think appointing Southgate, as the new boss - as it's been touted, is that bad a choice. Personally, I'd have gone bold and gone for Eddie Howe or perhaps Klinsman (he understands English football).

Sam Allardyce was never the right choice.

This sums it up for me: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/37600167

Analysis - Southgate the only candidate now
Times chief football writer Henry Winter speaking to Sportsweek

If a vacancy came up in the Premier League, Gareth Southgate probably wouldn't be on the shortlist - maybe top end of the Championship.

"But this is the situation England are in. It's going to take time to develop a deeper reservoir of coaching talent.

"If you go from the standpoint that the England manager should be English then you have to go with someone like Southgate or Eddie Howe. They are not the greatest but they are the best we have got.

"Southgate is the only candidate now and he will get the job."

Bah. We lost from France. I think we did enough (and were good enough) to deserve a draw. But alas.

Last edited:
Back