Official Football Thread

Poor Chrystal Palace. They fought hard and it could have gone different, really.

Still, I am very happy for Van Gaal. Must be an emotional moment for him.

edit:
Amazing that in a tournament with this history, there were only four red cards in the final!

Well they had some huge chances. And were certainly robbed by the referee who made some controversial decisions in the first half.

Scored our first ever goal against England today. They got away with the win (2-1) with an offside goal though. Still a decent showing while missing our best player.

Well they had some huge chances. And were certainly robbed by the referee who made some controversial decisions in the first half.

For anyone to say Palace were robbed by the referee, the decisions must obviously have been wrong. And the only situation I recall was seen as controversial in that first half was the situation where Rooney stopped Zaha. Never a penalty in my book. Physical contact is legal in football and I dare say that if that happened in a league match between two mid-table teams, nobody would even bother to discuss it as a possible penalty.

If you think about the situation where Smalling was booked, I'd say it was a poor decision by the ref to not play the advantage, but you can hardly say the goal should've been given. All the defenders stopped playing the second the ref blew the whistle.

There was another controversial situation as well, Crystal Palace's Delaney received a yellow for a really bad challenge. Could easily have been a red.

As for chances - huge and small - United had more of them. Palace's two chances in the first half were Bolasie's header from 10 m which De Gea punched over the bar - not a huge chance in my book. Wickham's finish which De Gea saved with his foot was the only really big chance they had in the first half.

And United hit the woodwork twice. A bit bold to say that Palace were the unlucky ones ...

Van Gaal has been sacked, Mourinho will be announced today or tomorrow. Not official yet, but all the respected sources are reporting it.

United has a squad full of promising young players. Mourinho's arrival could go either way: He could instil confidence and work ethic to them, or hinder their development by not playing them to their strengths. It's a gamble.

I think Guardiola or Klopp could do wonders for them but irony of the fact is that they're now the managers of United's main rivals.

For anyone to say Palace were robbed by the referee, the decisions must obviously have been wrong. And the only situation I recall was seen as controversial in that first half was the situation where Rooney stopped Zaha. Never a penalty in my book. Physical contact is legal in football and I dare say that if that happened in a league match between two mid-table teams, nobody would even bother to discuss it as a possible penalty.

If you think about the situation where Smalling was booked, I'd say it was a poor decision by the ref to not play the advantage, but you can hardly say the goal should've been given. All the defenders stopped playing the second the ref blew the whistle.

There was another controversial situation as well, Crystal Palace's Delaney received a yellow for a really bad challenge. Could easily have been a red.

As for chances - huge and small - United had more of them. Palace's two chances in the first half were Bolasie's header from 10 m which De Gea punched over the bar - not a huge chance in my book. Wickham's finish which De Gea saved with his foot was the only really big chance they had in the first half.

And United hit the woodwork twice. A bit bold to say that Palace were the unlucky ones ...
I am not sure which channel you were watching but on BBC they showed and discussed several moments in the first half where the referee whistled to easily/early. Not saying Palace would have scored if it went otherwise (although, remember that goal that wasn't given; how did that go?), but the man looked to be at Man United's side.

Palace could easily have scored a couple of times in the 2nd half as well. I never said United didn't deserve to win, but they had the luck that they didn't have more than one goal against them.

although, remember that goal that wasn't given; how did that go?), but the man looked to be at Man United's side.
Clearly shown by the fact he booked three Utd players in the first half. And that "goal" was scored after everyone except one player had stopped -because the ref whistled long before he was in a position to finish. Who were the BBC pundits then? Kevin "I'd love it if we beat them" Keegan and Rafa "fachts" Benitez?

Clearly shown by the fact he booked three Utd players in the first half. And that "goal" was scored after everyone except one player had stopped -because the ref whistled long before he was in a position to finish. Who were the BBC pundits then? Kevin "I'd love it if we beat them" Keegan and Rafa "fachts" Benitez?
No. Shearer, Gullit and some other guy. And Lineker of course.

Back