Official Football Thread

After having to go through penalties to beat Maltese team Birkirkara in the previous round, West Ham United drew 2-2 with Astra Giurgi at home after leading 2-0, giving the advantage to the Romanians. Not the greatest of starts for Slaven Bilic.

Galatasaray wants Gary Medel in exchange for Felipe Melo. You'd have to be mental to accept that, but this is Inter... :p

Old school but i love it, the music is actually changed from the original movie. Think replacement fits perfect :

The way he played, that pitch, thoose shoes, that ball. Hate me all you want but same talent as Messi, just more demons inside, and a "wilder" personality.

Great, great win. Even without Alexis Sanchez, Gunners managed to outplay Chelsea. I'm very impressed. This team can definitely challenge for the title, barring injuries.

First ever victory for Wenger against Mourinho.

I had an absolute blast watching Fenerbahçe get demolished by Shakhtar tonight :yey: Galatasaray once again the only Turkish representative in the Champions League.

Dutch football clubs are nothing in European competitions anymore. The season barely started and Ajax is already kicked out of CL by Rapid Wien.

In the Netherlands, clubs are more busy with developing skills of youth players than with performing in the European theatre. The plundering of young players from the clubs that have developed their skills is a consequence. All the talents are bought by foreign clubs.

Hopeless. Not very long ago, talents left the Dutch league (eredivisie) after they played e.g. 20 strong matches, now they leave before that moment comes. Ricardo Kishna went to Lazio, Steven Berghuis to Watford and Mark Uth to Hoffenheim.

This year, the eredivisie delivered one player to a European topclub: Memphis Depay to Manchester United. Once, big talents only left to such clubs, now they go to Southampton (Jordy Clasie), Newcastle United (Georginio Wijnaldum) or Eintracht Frankfurt (Luc Castaignos).

What's the point of developing talents these days, if foreign clubs with much more money snatch away the best B-juniors (recently Donyell Malen, 16 years, left Ajax and went to Arsenal)?
Ajax confirmed on their official website that Malen, 16, will move to North London immediately after turning down an offer to extend his deal with the Eredivisie side.

Ajax head of youth Wim Jonk said: "Donyell is a great talent. It is extremely unfortunate that he is leaving Ajax."

i

Donyell Malen (left) has represented Netherlands at youth level.
Jonk had earlier said in Voetbal International: "We have made Donyell an excellent offer and presented a clear plan for his development.

"If the player still makes the decision [to leave], that's disappointing, because his potential is clear and he would be given opportunities with Ajax.

"We will continue with the guys who believe in the plan."

Malen, who is represented by agent Mino Raiola, played for Ajax's B1 youth team last season.

United got a win, that own goal. Im not to sure about em tho, seems to be missing a Ruud, Ronaldo, Yorke, Cole or RVP type of player. Great to se Bastian Fecking Swiensteiger!

Not the best of games from United, but in the season premiere I'll be happy with the three points.

Except for Smalling (who was MoM for me) I'd say the new signings were the best for United today. Romero made some crucial saves, Schneiderlin showed himself to be exactly the aggressive midfield warrior I wanted, Memphis showed promise as well, and Darmian was solid as RB.

Missed the first half of Chelsea vs Swansea, but the second hasn't lacked drama! Very entertaining.

Back