Official Football Thread

Word is that Serbia-Albania game will be played again from scratch at neutral ground without audience. It was 0:0 when it was suspended in 42nd minute, so same thing really. UEFA supposedly doesn't want to award 3:0 victory to either of the teams because both fucked up - us with the audience, them with the drone and refusing to play.

I'd love to see us beat them mostly because they started it all with the goddamn drone, then refused to play and immediately escaped to the airport and out of the country, then celebrated... something, probably victory they thought they are gonna get.

I hope UEFA separates us and them for next EURO/WC draws... also Kosovo if/when they get accepted.

Playing the game from the beginning in a neutral ground is the sensible thing to do. I guess the opposite match will also be played in a neutral ground.

I still wonder why UEFA didn't separate these two teams to begin with. The Kosovo controversy, being the most recent conflict in the region, makes this particular fixture more volatile than any other match between any two Balkans countries. Adding to it that this region is currently the worst in Europe in terms of football hooliganism, this was never going to end well. Good thing there weren't any away fans in the ground. The situation turned out badly enough without Albanian fans present inside ...

I hope that word is true. Best idea is to play the match without audience. The Serbian audience attacking players was a disgrace.

Last edited:
So the word is that he got arrested but had to be let go very soon because he's an American citizen.

Flag:
524344_velikaalbanijautakmica_ff.jpg

As you can see, the flag isn't just offensive to us: this "Great Albania" encompasses parts of Serbia, all of Kosovo, about half of Macedonia, half of Montenegro including their capital and also western parts of Greece.

I'll just update this post with info as it appears.

So Great Albania < Montenegro?

I remember going to a Wales-England game where most of the audience booed the everlasting hell out of God Save The Queen, and one guy shined lasers into the England players eyes.

Football is supposed to transcend politics - and usually does.

Yes, but the hooliganism problem in the Balkans countries is well known, and here you have nationalism to fuel it as well. Thus this match would have to go worse than, say, Iran vs USA - because Iran and USA don't have a culture for football hooliganism.

There's probably enough material for an entire Politics in Sport debate thread. Some would argue international sport is more about international politics than it is about teams or individuals excelling in a particular game. ;)

There's probably enough material for an entire Politics in Sport debate thread. Some would argue international sport is more about international politics than it is about teams or individuals excelling in a particular game. ;)

:innocent:

Tadić/Pellé > Lallana/Lambert. Sunderland knows why :D

But seriously, Tadić scored 1 goal and assisted 4 today, while Pellé scored 2 and assisted 1.
During the whole season: Tadić - 1g, 7a, Pellé 6g, 2a.
While in Liverpool: Lallana 1g, Lambert 1a.

L&L were just massively overrated for being English.

We just beat Fenerbahçe in the local derby by two amazing goals by Wesley Sneijder. Got my Galatasaray kit with Sneijder's name on it in celebration. The guy is an absolute legend. What a crazy night!

Last season Roma didn't concede 5 goals until 8th December (15 matches). It took Bayern less than 35 minutes to score that many.

Another fun fact: Maicon played against Germany in the World Cup semifinals too :D

Back