Official Football Thread

I hope for a Chelsea-Real and Bayern-Atletico, Chelsea and Atletico in the final.

I think Atletico is probably the fittest team now. Expect a surprise here and they are favorites to reach the final, imho. Bayern suffered too much (strange), Chelsea has heart and Mourinho's factor is important too. Real struggled too much and they are unbalanced.

I like that so far no club could won consecutively the CL.

In the final, may the best team win. I don't like particularly either Chelsea and Atletico, except in selected times (like Zola's, Gullit's and Vialli's era, and Mourinho's era, in the first and Futre's and Caminero's in the second). So i would probably cheer for Mourinho. That would be amazing to achieve, really.

Bayern suffered too much (strange)

I disagree with this notion. No team has an answer for Bayern's 20-30 minute surges. It's not like it was a fluke either, Bayern have consistently flipped the switch for 20-30 minutes and crushed opponents throughout the year, much like what they did with United yesterday. I think they're the team to beat.

Barring a great luck, Chelsea literally has no shot at the final. By far the weakest team in the Semis. They managed to beat a PSG team without its best player with a scramble goal at 87th minute. With that being said, they do have a lot of passion and they can park the bus with the best of'em so you never know.

Atlético's success has been called a surprise but I did expect it. When the Quarter Finals were drawn, I posted here that an Atlético win shouldn't be a surprise. They delivered. The best defensive team in football currently and they don't do it by parking the bus. They outplayed Barça with a defensive play, didn't even waste time, they simply played astonishing team defense and counter-attacked well.

Real did look miserable against Dortmund but they didn't have CR7. Real look very dominant in the tournament and Ancelotti knows how to win. I wouldn't count them out.

Last edited:
Yes, but it looks like their best form is gone. Their current Bundesliga form is 5 3-1-1 10-6(!),
same as Freiburg and Dortmund, and below Schalke and 'gladbach. 6 goals in 5 games is a lot for a team like Bayern (that's about 35% of all goals they conceded in all Bundesliga) and their aggregate score with United (4-2) doesn't look that impressive, allowing 2 goals against a team in crisis. So Bayern does concede many goals in recent games.

Bayern became the champions weeks ago after getting a 25 point lead over Dortmund. Their Bundesliga form doesn't really prove anything anymore.

Ok, ok, i'm not saying that Bayern aren't favorites, it's just an opinion. ;)

No biggie, just tried to explain why I see them as favorites still. But I'd like Atlético to win it all, not Bayern.

Cons/pros:
Atletico - butchers, eliminated Milan / underdogs, eliminated Barca
Bayern - Guardiola, I want Milan to remain the last team to retain a European title / lack of players I hate :p
Chelsea - MOURINHO, constant bus parking / Ivanovic
Real - greedy megalomaniac club / Ancelotti

Last year, Bayern München and Borussia Dortmund were my favorite teams to watch. From group stages and on I picked Bayern-Dortmund final as the best possible one. It happened.
This year, Bayern München and Atlético Madrid are my favorite teams to watch. From group stages and on I picked Bayern-Atlético final as the best possible one. Very close now.

In fact, Bayern and Dortmund last year; Bayern and Atlético this year are all I ever talk about in my daily life when it comes to football apart from the teams I support.

Back