Official Football Thread

Leave Bilbao alone, Roberto. In a world of generic clubs owned by billionaires who can buy any player they want to from anywhere in the world, Bilbao chooses to be a club of its hometown. You have no right to call them fascist for that.

It's fascist to only play homegrown players?
It's nationalistic or chauvinistic (yes, they are not a nation but you know what I mean). We'll see which impact it will have on their results. What would we say if Heerenveen would only use Frisians from now on. And Glasgow Rangers only Scotts? :)

I'm not against it, or for it. I just think it's normal that the club prefers homegrown/born players. Wouldn't even call it nationalistic.

It's nationalistic or chauvinistic (yes, they are not a nation but you know what I mean). We'll see which impact it will have on their results. What would we say if Heerenveen would only use Frisians from now on. And Glasgow Rangers only Scotts? :)
Isn't chauvinism the same thing as sexism? :confused: The Basque people do consider their region to be a nation though, hence why they want to separate from Spain.

Rangers would use players from all across the UK as they have strong links to Unionists in Northern Ireland and a fair number of their fan support England. Celtic actually won the European Cup in the 60s (sorry to bring that up Cried) with a team who all grew up within 30 miles of Celtic Park.

It's different. Basque people want to be independent, Athletic Bilbao is a reflection of that.

Is that a whole team of guys with the name "Scott"? :p
Isn't chauvinism the same thing as sexism? :confused: The Basque people do consider their region to be a nation though, hence why they want to separate from Spain.

Rangers would use players from all across the UK as they have strong links to Unionists in Northern Ireland and a fair number of their fan support England. Celtic actually won the European Cup in the 60s (sorry to bring that up Cried) with a team who all grew up within 30 miles of Celtic Park.
No problem. I live within 30 miles of Celtic Park...

All the 5 CL ties where the first leg have already been played are more or less over ... We're going to get a really boring set of 2nd legs!

Man City - Barcelona 0-2
Arsenal - Bayern 0-2
Leverkusen - PSG 0-3
Milan - Atletico 0-1
Zenit - Dortmund 2-4

Now if Man Utd, Chelsea and Real Madrid all get good results tonight/tomorrow ... will neutral fans care to watch the 2nd leg at all?

Milan-Atletico is far from over, methinks. I do think Atletico will go through but Milan were the superior side in the first leg.

We'll try our best to keep up with Chelsea tomorrow. I can't wait.

I'm curious how this is. Would you say it's nationalistic of other leagues that have teams that try their best to recruit locally? I'd say local players means local development of players. It also means keeping those insane salaries in the same town over a long period of time.

Moyes :censored:

With his tactics even if he had Ronaldo, Messi and Ibra they wouldn't do anything.

Many people claim he should be given a chance to build his own team and that even Ferguson took few years to win the first title, but they forget that when Ferguson took over, MU were without a title for like 20 years whereas Moyes took over the reigning champions. Why are Ashley Young, Valencia and Cleverley always in the team and Kagawa played like 10 matches this year? Why was Fellaini bought if Cleverley starts ahead of him?

I'm not watching this game, but I see from the live text that this is a really, really crap performance. Fortunately Olympiakos are crap away. That doesn't justify United being the same.

Wow at Manchester United losing to an already weak team in Olympiacos who actually lost their far and away best player in the winter transfer period and got significantly weaker.

I sort of hope to read tomorrow that the entire team suffered from food poisoning before the match, spending the entire training session in the bathroom.

That would at least be a plausible excuse for what appears to be a performance beyond abysmally bad.

Rooney is a better central/defensive midfielders than all other players of the same type in the team... which is really sad.

I'm not watching the game but according to stats Olympiacos has 12 attempts to United's 4. (0 shots on target for United) Therefore this win isn't any "lucky" win either, Oly simply outplayed them heavily. That's scary for United.

Vidic and Ferdinand can't play together anymore. Hell, Ferdinand shouldn't play with anyone anymore. Both are old and need a younger, more agile, faster center back to complement them. Smalling shouldn't play as a full back. Cleverley is utter shit. SO. MANY. CROSSES. AND. BACK. PASSES.

Arsenal, Manchester City and Manchester United all lost 2-0 in the first leg. Will Chelsea save the day for English teams?

Back