Official Football Thread

Mido has appologised, by that doesn't excuse him. What will excuse him is if he never does stuff like that again. I don't understand why he hasn't had an arguement with Martin Jol yet [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/tongue.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\":p\" border=\"0\" alt=\"tongue.gif\" /]

Nice one!

I've had a huge smile on my face since Saturday afternoon, because QPR, a fairly mediocre side, won away at Sheffield United, who are second on the league, which means we did the double over them this season. [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/biggrin.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\":D\" border=\"0\" alt=\"biggrin.gif\" /]

Sheffield United eh... Saw them last season and was impressed. We were on our way to Notts County V Northampton Town but it was called off so we decided to go to Coventry. I regret sitting in the Cov end now as the United fans were very loud... and they won too!

As such, I don't support a club team - but I do like to see my local(ish) club do well. And at the time of writing, they are doing amazingly well - the club being Southend - top of league one.

As far as the impending World Cup, I think England will do really well, but I am not convinced they can win it - I can see them getting to the quarters and maybe (dependant on who they face) the semis.

God I hate Chelsea. They are so fucking lucky! Gallas scored a last minute, and I mean LAST MINUTE winner against Spurs the quality of which he is NEVER going to repeat. You fucking wankers! ::

That's what happens when you let a multi billionare ex-pat Russian own a football team.

Northampton 3 - 0 Carlisle

We were so good too... just gifted them the goals... Could have gone top too [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/sad.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\":(\" border=\"0\" alt=\"sad.gif\" /]

Do you mean 'Northampton 0 - 3 Carlisle' perhaps?

My team QPR have been doing pretty well recently, and we drew 1-1 at Sheffield Wednesday yesterday. Under caretaker manager Gary Waddock, we've now won two, drawn two, and lost one. Not bad for us.

Yes I do NA! Got a bit carried away with the fantasizing there I think.
Everyone around us won yesterday... 4 points off 3rd now [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/sad.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\":(\" border=\"0\" alt=\"sad.gif\" /]

Liverpool lost too... [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/sad.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\":(\" border=\"0\" alt=\"sad.gif\" /]

Going back a week, I imagine everyone else was as pleased as me to see Chelsea knocked out of the Champions League by a thoroughly superior Barcelona side. Chelski just didn't have the flair to match Ronaldinho, E'too and co., but Mourinho, ever gracious in defeat, said after the match that he thought the better team went out. :: What an arrogant idiot.

[!--quoteo(post=131778:date=Mar 13 2006, 10:54 AM:name=national acrobat)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(national acrobat @ Mar 13 2006, 10:54 AM) [snapback]131778[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
Going back a week, I imagine everyone else was as pleased as me to see Chelsea knocked out of the Champions League by a thoroughly superior Barcelona side. Chelski just didn't have the flair to match Ronaldinho, E'too and co., but Mourinho, ever gracious in defeat, said after the match that he thought the better team went out. :: What an arrogant idiot.
[/quote]

If it wasn’t the case of Chelsea employing a reasonable amount of English players in their side, I would not care less for them - I probably would go as far as having a giggle each time they lose, as I do Arsenal. But, especially with the World Cup looming, I want Lampard, Cole, et al to have a good season and carry this on through the summer.

As regards Mourinho and his arrogance, I can see your point, but (possibly not so much now with the latest developments) this man may well have been Sven’s successor! Would we tolerate his arrogance then if he is doing well?

[!--quoteo(post=131785:date=Mar 13 2006, 02:49 PM:name=ARealDead1)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(ARealDead1 @ Mar 13 2006, 02:49 PM) [snapback]131785[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
As regards Mourinho and his arrogance, I can see your point, but (possibly not so much now with the latest developments) this man may well have been Sven’s successor! Would we tolerate his arrogance then if he is doing well?
[/quote]
Mourinho for England manager? You're having a laugh, the English press really despise Mourinho now because of his treatment of Bryan Robson and his arrogance in general. He thinks that he can get away with anything because he is "the special one" but he needs to be taken down a peg or two. He has spent so much money on players and yet cannot cope with the flair of Barcelona. I would think that Jose wil get sacked at the end of the 2006/2007 season [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/wink.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\";)\" border=\"0\" alt=\"wink.gif\" /]

[!--quoteo(post=131804:date=Mar 13 2006, 05:42 PM:name=Conor)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Conor @ Mar 13 2006, 05:42 PM) [snapback]131804[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
Mourinho for England manager? You're having a laugh[/quote]
There were rumours, nothing more - unsubstantiated as it seems. But in searching for a successor, it would have not surprised anyone that the FA would have considered another foreigner.

[!--quoteo(post=133024:date=Mar 27 2006, 01:25 AM:name=The_7th_Son)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(The_7th_Son @ Mar 27 2006, 01:25 AM) [snapback]133024[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
It has to be said Mourinho is a total cnut!
[/quote]
Coupled with the recent "sporting" behaviour of Drogba, Chelsea are winning no new fans of late.

Southend 3-0 Hartlepool - Championship footbal for the Shrimpers next season.

Southend eh? I was there at the playoff semi final last year [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/sad.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\":(\" border=\"0\" alt=\"sad.gif\" /]

Grrrrr!! I went to see my beloved Queens Park Rangers play Stoke last night, only to see them lose at home. Why do I bother spending £10 on a train fare, then £26 on a ticket, if my team are going to put in such a pathetic performance? ::

[!--quoteo(post=133403:date=Mar 30 2006, 11:03 AM:name=national acrobat)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(national acrobat @ Mar 30 2006, 11:03 AM) [snapback]133403[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
Grrrrr!! I went to see my beloved Queens Park Rangers play Stoke last night, only to see them lose at home. Why do I bother spending £10 on a train fare, then £26 on a ticket, if my team are going to put in such a pathetic performance? ::
[/quote]
That's where the football clubs have you by the proverbial ballox. Your fan loyalty is what stops you from deserting your club. If you didn't really care about football, you wouldn't go to another match but since you've supported them for so long, you feel entitled to watch the most matches you can.

Statistic I heard the other day (not 100% certifiable truth):
12% of men would change wife before changing football club [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/wink.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\";)\" border=\"0\" alt=\"wink.gif\" /]

Back