Official Football Thread

It's a genetic lottery, you lot. If you have the right genes, and maybe some good chances to be born in a country in which football is popular, you've got it made.

[!--QuoteBegin-Black Ace+Feb 3 2006, 07:31 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Black Ace @ Feb 3 2006, 07:31 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]It's a genetic lottery, you lot. If you have the right genes, and maybe some good chances to be born in a country in which football is popular, you've got it made.
[snapback]128479[/snapback]​
[/quote]
The right genes for running after a ball??? [!--emo&:blink:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/blink.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'blink.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

My friend, you are talking out of your back-side. Why don't you sit on it and give your brain a chance? [!--emo&-_---][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/sleep.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'sleep.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

[!--QuoteBegin-Maverick+Feb 3 2006, 01:37 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Maverick @ Feb 3 2006, 01:37 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]The right genes for running after a ball???  [!--emo&:blink:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/blink.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'blink.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

My friend, you are talking out of your back-side. Why don't you sit on it and give your brain a chance?  [!--emo&-_---][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/sleep.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'sleep.gif\' /][!--endemo--]
[snapback]128480[/snapback]​
[/quote]

Mav, why do you always have to be so offensive?, It has been proved that genes have A LOT to do with your physical abilites, and it's much more than running after a ball.

[!--QuoteBegin-Metal_made+Feb 3 2006, 08:29 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Metal_made @ Feb 3 2006, 08:29 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]It has been proved that genes have A LOT to do with your physical abilites
[snapback]128492[/snapback]​
[/quote]
Are you trying to tell me something I didn't know?

[!--QuoteBegin-Metal_made+Feb 3 2006, 08:29 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Metal_made @ Feb 3 2006, 08:29 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]it's much more than running after a ball.
[snapback]128492[/snapback]​
[/quote]
No, of course. Any dog can do that. [!--emo&:p--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/tongue.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'tongue.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

Well any dog can run after a ball, but not all dogs can run after the frickin ball 90 minutes, and not all dogs can send the ball 100 m across in a 5*2 m area...Frankly, I can't play football to save my life. I'm just not good at it. I get tired pretty fast, and don't fave the right reflexes...

I knew I shouldn't have posted in such a thread. But sometimes the company of stupid people makes me feel intelligent. Bloody ego of mine! [!--emo&:D--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/biggrin.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'biggrin.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

[!--QuoteBegin-Maverick+Feb 3 2006, 08:50 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Maverick @ Feb 3 2006, 08:50 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]I knew I shouldn't have posted in such a thread. But sometimes the company of stupid people makes me feel intelligent. Bloody ego of mine!  [!--emo&:D--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/biggrin.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'biggrin.gif\' /][!--endemo--]
[snapback]128514[/snapback]​
[/quote]
[!--emo&:blink:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/blink.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'blink.gif\' /][!--endemo--] Read your posts again Mav, everybody else was saying the correct thing to do with genes and you as a biologist apparantly, made yourself look like a fool [!--emo&-_---][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/sleep.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'sleep.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

It was somehow the correct thing, although the football abilities are simply the expression of other physical abilities. The context, however, was blatantly stupid.

Football players, like professional soldiers, have a brain by accident due to the genetics of the human body. But a cerebellum and a spinal cord would have been more than enough... [!--emo&^_^--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/happy.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'happy.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

[!--QuoteBegin-Maverick+Feb 3 2006, 10:01 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Maverick @ Feb 3 2006, 10:01 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]Football players .... have a brain
[snapback]128525[/snapback]​
[/quote]
Woah! Let's not get carried away here, Mr. Maverick!

Well, they do. But I never implied that they actually use it, though! [!--emo&^_^--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/happy.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'happy.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

actually most players are NOT born with it, nobody is "born" with anything except a brain that allows them to LEARN. If that person feels certain activities are easier than others doesn't mean he was born with any natural abilities. They are atheletes, not psychics. True that not everybody can be doctors or IT technicians and that is why THEY TOO (specially doctors, lawyers, soldiers in first world nations, etc) earn big paychecks as well, plus they work most of their lives and retire well into their 70's, not their 30's. I don't think it is bloated at all. again ONE of the reasons they earn so much is because they do it for such a little time, they need enough money to live on for the rest of their lives and NOT ALL atheletes, actually very few, earn millions of dollars. The average hockey player earns 600,000 dollars a year, a crappy american football player earns that as well. Only those who put the EXTRA time and effort into perfecting their craft earn the big bucks and get the sponsorship deals, which on average is like 2 to 3 players per team (hockey squads have 28 players in a rostor, american football squads have up to 60. for 2-3 players to be stars is rather low). In ohter words I don't think what they earn is unfair at all. I think what Teachers earn is unfair though

The Steelers win the SuperBowl!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Erm..sorry....wrong "Football".

[img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/tongue.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\":p\" border=\"0\" alt=\"tongue.gif\" /]

I reckon Sven could well take over the job in the summer, after the world cup. While we're on this subject, who do you think should be the next England manager? Someone English, who would bring some much-needed passion to the team? (Like Kevin Keegan who was an absolute failure) Personally I would like to see Guus Hiddink get the job - a foreigner, but someone with lots of experience.

And finally, the very high-profile Queens Park Rangers managerial position. Ian Holloway was suspended earlier this week, and I want Jim Smith brought in, and I won't settle for anything less.

[!--quoteo(post=128621:date=Feb 8 2006, 10:33 AM:name=national acrobat)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(national acrobat @ Feb 8 2006, 10:33 AM) [snapback]128621[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
I reckon Sven could well take over the job in the summer, after the world cup. While we're on this subject, who do you think should be the next England manager? Someone English, who would bring some much-needed passion to the team? (Like Kevin Keegan who was an absolute failure) Personally I would like to see Guus Hiddink get the job - a foreigner, but someone with lots of experience.

And finally, the very high-profile Queens Park Rangers managerial position. Ian Holloway was suspended earlier this week, and I want Jim Smith brought in, and I won't settle for anything less.
[/quote]
For Newcastle, I could see Sven going there or possibly Alan Curbishly. Stuart Pearce may be another option if they can lure him away from the Mancs.
The next English manager probably will be somebody born in England like Sam Allardyce or Alan Curbishley. I thinkg Gus Hiddink would be a great man for the job but the English FA will probably appoint a native this time. I was also secretly hoping Hiddink would take the Irish posts a few weeks ago but nobody contacted him from the FAI ::

QPR is a strange situation. I don't know a lot about the setup but Holloway does seem to be doing a good job. How long is her suspended for? I would like to see him move into the Premiership, to move away from the cliched post match interviews if nothing else [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/tongue.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\":p\" border=\"0\" alt=\"tongue.gif\" /]

[!--quoteo(post=128638:date=Feb 8 2006, 04:38 PM:name=Conor)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Conor @ Feb 8 2006, 04:38 PM) [snapback]128638[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
QPR is a strange situation. I don't know a lot about the setup but Holloway does seem to be doing a good job. How long is her suspended for? I would like to see him move into the Premiership, to move away from the cliched post match interviews if nothing else [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/tongue.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\":p\" border=\"0\" alt=\"tongue.gif\" /]
[/quote]
Basically Ollie has done a great job for QPR, but recent performances have been dreadful and he's persisted in playing his favourites over better players. He's been suspended, and the chairman says there is no way he will return, but the club don't have the money to buy him out of his contract so they can't sack him. Season ticket prices doubled this season, so fans' expectations have increased, yet performances have dropped, so I think it was the right decision to get rid of Holloway. If he spent as much time thinking about tactics as he does about his post-match comments, we'd be in the Premiership by now!

[!--quoteo(post=128641:date=Feb 8 2006, 05:23 PM:name=national acrobat)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(national acrobat @ Feb 8 2006, 05:23 PM) [snapback]128641[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
Basically Ollie has done a great job for QPR, but recent performances have been dreadful and he's persisted in playing his favourites over better players. He's been suspended, and the chairman says there is no way he will return, but the club don't have the money to buy him out of his contract so they can't sack him. Season ticket prices doubled this season, so fans' expectations have increased, yet performances have dropped, so I think it was the right decision to get rid of Holloway. If he spent as much time thinking about tactics as he does about his post-match comments, we'd be in the Premiership by now!
[/quote]
Fair enough, I don't folow the "lower" leagues that much. (By lower I mean lower than the Premiership)
I know a great compromise, we'll give you Steve Staunton and we can have Ian Holloway. if you're an irish fan you need a sense of homour. [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/cool.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\"B)\" border=\"0\" alt=\"cool.gif\" /]

Has anyone been watching/following the African Cup of Nations?? There is some serious talent that is going to get snipped up by some of the big Euro clubs. And did anyone see Mido's reaction to being substituted in the semi final. I know emotions run high but what a tosser!

[!--quoteo(post=125646:date=Dec 22 2005, 03:30 PM:name=dogigniter)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(dogigniter @ Dec 22 2005, 03:30 PM) [snapback]125646[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
About time a thread like this was started!

Lucky Arsenal scraped through against Doncaster, the bastards! (in a Tottenham fan by the way [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/tongue.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\":p\" border=\"0\" alt=\"tongue.gif\" /] )

As far as the world cup goes I really doubt we'd win it. We need a better manager, but we have some good players there who could probably take us there.
[/quote]
Another Spurs fan! I thought i was alone. Ossies dream is better than any fucking maiden song. HeHe

[!--quoteo(post=128702:date=Feb 9 2006, 11:15 PM:name=thegodthatish)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(thegodthatish @ Feb 9 2006, 11:15 PM) [snapback]128702[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
Has anyone been watching/following the African Cup of Nations?? There is some serious talent that is going to get snipped up by some of the big Euro clubs. And did anyone see Mido's reaction to being substituted in the semi final. I know emotions run high but what a tosser!
[/quote]
Mido is a player with a warped perception of the world. He thinks he is better than the rest of his teammates because he gets paid more and plays for a more famous club. I hope he gets severely sanctioned for his disgraceful actions. he should have came out and apologised immediately, especially as the manager was correct (the man who replaced him scored the winning goal if I'm not mistaken)

Back