Official Football Thread

I'd play with Negredo up front as he's more likely to score than Torres. I have no idea who Diego Costa is.

Diego Costa is the top goalscorer of La Liga this season. Plays for Atletico Madrid. I'd play him as a striker ahead of everyone else, more that I think about it. He recently picked Spain as his national team over Brazil.

He hasn't played in Brazil throughout his career. Only Portugal and Spain. I think he believes Atletico has given him the chance to be a world class footballer, not the Brazilian clubs. I think he made a mistake though, Brazil are desperately in need of a striker (and one just like him, too), he'd do very well there.

Good lord. Manchester United lose, Chelsea lose and Manchester City draw while it's the Luiz Suarez show again at Anfield. Arsenal can draw at home to Everton tomorrow and still consider this a good weekend.

It seems they will be there to capitalize on the fact that last season's top three all have new managers.

I'm on the verge of giving up on the title this season and say I'll be happy with top four for United this season. But the season is not yet half-way through, so a miracle can happen. But I'll admit a miracle is now needed.

But the "Moyes out" brigade can go eat something toxic. They are the part of the fanbase who fuel the perception that Manchester United fans are nothing but spoilt, glory-hunting fans.

I must say, though - it's quite ironic hearing just that from other non-local fans of other successful clubs like Liverpool, Arsenal or Chelsea ...

Yes. Being a United fan from Norway does not mean you are a glory hunter. does it? I suppose you don't mean that all non-local fans of successful clubs are glory hunters? By glory hunter I mean one who becomes a fan of a club because he likes to be associated with someone successful. If you have a different definition I'm interested in hearing it.

For the record: United had a lot of fans in Norway in the 80s as well. Nearly every Norwegian interested in football followed a club abroad long before the Premier League era. A natural explanation for this would be that Norwegian football was amateur until around 1990, every player with ambitions went to Germany, England or elsewhere if he got the chance ... In fact, English football had more followers here than Norwegian football until the mid-90s.

Of course big clubs would attract more fans, and of course there was an extra effect from the success of Ole Gunnar Solskjær at United, but your assumption that every Norwegian fan of Manchester United (if that's not what you intended to say, you're welcome to clarify) is of the "glory hunter" variety needed an answer.

I've always assumed Dr.'s fandom of United was caused by Ole Gunnar Solskjaer.

Big, successful clubs attract fans because well, they're good. You have to find something attractive in the club if you're a non-local person. Being a glory hunter or not depends on how you act when the club isn't that successful. For instance I became an Arsenal fan in 2004, watching the Invincibles play. They haven't won a championship since but I'm still a fan. I doubt I can be considered a glory hunter.

I've always assumed Dr.'s fandom of United was caused by Ole Gunnar Solskjaer.

Try Cantona :D. No, really - two of my childhood friends got me into it when I started taking an interest in football in the early 90s. And they had the interest for United from the father of one of them.

BW - you didn't tell how you define a gloryhunter.

Yeah, pretty much that. A club like Manchester United is very easy to support (apart from this season of course!). You can't blame me for being a little bit suspicious when a guy from Norway supports Manchester United Wingman. ;) Although I have a feeling that people from Norway, Ireland and Africa will soon be looking for a different club to support.

Celtic's fans have been doing themselves and the club the world of good this season. After getting involved in fights after the away match to Ajax in Amsterdam the 'Green Brigade' displayed a lovely banner during the home match to AC Milan which has landed the club in hot water with UEFA. Then during Friday night's match away to Motherwell some fans threw flares onto the pitch and ripped up seats. The club has suspended 128 season ticket holders and moved a further 250 to other parts of the stadium but the police and the SPFL are investigating the matter further. Best fans in the world apparently.

Everyone I know who watches football in Serbia has a favorite Serbian club (which in 99% of cases is either Red Star or Partizan) and few foreign favorite clubs.
My best friend is also a Red Star fan like me, but his favorite club is Juventus :P

Yeah, it's the same here. I know people who don't have a favourite Bulgarian club but I don't know a single person who doesn't support a foreign club. Most of my friends support Levski, just like me, but when it comes to clubs abroad, we're quite a weird bunch - Chelsea, Arsenal, Inter, Milan, Roma, Juve and... Tranmere Rovers.

Have you heard the news? 6 months to the beginning of the World Cup, a real battle between "fans" of Vasco da Gama and Atl. Paranaense resulted in several injured, a fractured skull, and there was rumors of a eventual death. Some of the injured were transported by helicopter to nearby hospitals. Cops were outside the stadium and were very slow to react.
Warning: The violence is really disturbing.

Back