Official Football Thread

Let's all die of boredom watching Greece at next year's World Cup. :yawn: Ibra and Ronaldo pull out the goods once again, but Portugal Cristiano Ronaldo will be at the World Cup. I hope someone injures him at the end of the season so that he misses out. :P Unfortunately Croatia came through against Iceland despite having a man sent off. France came back from the death to win 3-2 on aggregate. A World Cup without France would have been odd.

On to more important matters now, and Scotland have won their second away match in a row, their third consecutive clean sheet (David Marshall's second in a row!) and they are not four matched unbeaten. Mind you, they were Second best against Norway but the Norwegian finishing was absolutely diabolical! Plus Germany beat England to wrap up a good evening of football.

Wow what a match I've witnessed: Holland - Columbia: 0-0

It was a friendly, but it was not friendly at all. The Colombians played fekkin' dirty.

We started with a long list of absent, injured top players. This was the squad:

Cillessen, v.d.Wiel, Veltman, Vlaar, Blind, Strootman, Schaars (De Guzman/79), v.d.Vaart (Fer/45+2), Lens, S.de Jong (Narsingh/44), Depay
(v.Aanholt/90+2)

Before this match no less than four(!) of these players had only second division experience. In the 1st half we had another couple of top players injured (Siem de Jong and Rafael van der Vaart). And around the 30th minute a red card for Lens. Look what happened right before he made the move that resulted in a red card. An dirty bastard of a defender deserved a dark red card as well....
That's the best vid I could find at this moment, but on TV there was also a different camera
angle that showed the idiot's heel landing very hard on Lens' leg.
edit: here a second vid:
Up till that point we had 4 chances and Colombia nada, zero, niente, nothing.

With 10 men we played a very strong match. Colombia stayed very dangerous but when you look at all the info I just gave you, this was a tremendous evening for Oranje. Also: Remember last Saturday: Belgium - Colombia: 0-2!!

Ukraine lost their match today (and qualification! Ha ha France haters!) which means Holland is the only nation that did not loose in 2013.

This was a match against one of the best countries of the world, a great test for the World Cup.

Last edited:
O no. That wasn't half as dirty. I have shown you only one foul, but there could have been 2 extra red cards for those guys.

That World Cup Final was the dirtiest match I have ever watched, and one of the worst matches in the history of professional football. If tonight's match was dirtier than that then it must have been a frakking war.

I got that Black Wizard. No need to tell it twice. ;-)

Well, I probably have erased the majority from that match from my at that point tortured mind. Besides that karate kick I only remember a missed chance by Robben. And a dreadful Euro 2012.

Today's match just had some very hard fouls, injuring 2 of our best players, but it could have been at least 4. I am looking for footage but it's hard to find.

It's probably x-rated from the way you described it.

Did you know that Holland should have had a corner just seconds before Iniesta scored the winner?

Gibraltar drew their first ever full international match 0-0 against Slovakia.

Vive la France! Vive les bleus! I will admit I had zero confidence but France is in!!!
It sucks that Greece made it. I can't root for them just like Italy can't root for them

France won thanks to an offside goal. Cheaters.
ifyou_renotcheating.jpg

::) It's also second consecutive World Cup for which they qualified due to referee's mistake.

You're right about the other one, but this one, no. France's second goal was offside but just moments before that goal they scored a legit goal which wasn't counted. Ukraine's red card was the right call.

After the Croatia-Iceland game, Croatian player Josip Simunic took the microphone and invited the crowd to chant the following song:

Za dom spremni! is a Croatian salute. The salute became infamous during World War II due to its use by the fascist Ustaše movement, who used it as their equivalent of the fascist salute or Nazi salute.

Hopefully the idiot gets suspended for this.

O my God. I have read quite a bit on WWII and its atrocities but this movement in particular left some utter horror in my mind. They committed some of the most sadistic, horrific, tortuous deeds. Killing people is sick but the way they did it and the way they called their weapons makes me sick right now again.
If people want to read on it, be prepared. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ustaše The set of photos and added text alone, --e.g. a knife nicknamed "Srbosjek" or "Serbcutter", strapped to the hand, which was used by the Ustaše militia for the speedy killing of inmates in Jasenovac.-- , makes me wonder why Simunic felt the need to do this.

I wouldn't suggest you get too much into that stuff. It's stuff you can't un-read and forget. IMO it's on level with atrocities done by German Nazis. Supposedly even the Italian Fascists (who were kinda in charge of Croatia at the time) were sickened by stuff that was done.

Back on topic, it's slowly appearing on international websites:
http://www.theguardian.com/football...josip-simunic-defends-apparent-pro-nazi-chant.
Thankfully, Croatian media didn't take this so kindly. Their minister of sport told him he should take some history lessons before doing stuff like that.

Also, see this:
Player he tackled still hasn't recovered from this, and it's been 2,5 months.

Last edited:
Back