Official Football Thread

On this day, 20 years ago, we beat France in Paris with a last-second goal that sent us to the World Cup 1994, where we got to the semis.

Burkina Faso has a chance to get to the World Cup. "All" they need to do is win or draw vs Algeria. Losing is also possible, but they need to be careful since they won in the previous match at home with 3-2. TBC tomorrow!

Cameroon, Ivory Coast, Nigeria and Ghana* make for the other strong African teams.
I don't think these 4 were all at the same tournament. I always love to follow their matches.
For some reason I feel that Africa is represented with the strongest bunch of countries in a long while, or even: ever.

*Ghana isn't there yet but they won their first match with 6-1 vs Egypt!

Yeah. If they were also present it would be even more amazing. But now we get an extra underdog which is nice as well.

The attacking line of Cote d'Ivoire (Didier Drogba, Gervinho, Seydou Doumbia, Salomon Kalou, Arouna Kone, Wilfried Bony, Lacina Traore) and the midfield of Ghana (Michael Essien, Kevin Prince-Boateng, Kwadwo Asamoah, Sulley Muntari, Christian Atsu, Emmanuel Frimpong, Emmanuel Agyemang-Badu) are very intriguing.

Following on with the recent theme of France bashing in this thread, Senegal beat them 1-0 in the opening match of the 2002 World Cup.

Unforgettable. There were stupid conspiracy theories about Senegalese team using witchcraft before the game which resulted in Zinedine Zidane's injury.

Gibraltar will be playing their first ever official international match in Portugal against Slovakia tomorrow. However, in qualifying for Euro 2016 they will be kept apart from Spain.

Back