Official Football Thread

Eddies Wingman said:
And I'm going to be in fucking Greece for a conference in the final weekend. I just hope I can find somewhere to watch the match ...
I've got my niece's 13th birthday that day - but I should be back in time.

The place is to the south of Thessaloniki, in what used to be the ancient land of Macedonia

Oh, Alexander The Great comes from there. He died of fever in Babylon.

funny-gifs-soccer-sniper.gif

:D

Forostar said:
But check this out, with one match to go, this upcoming weekend:

Mistake, the final match is one weekend later. This weekend, these same(!) clubs meet each other in the cup final.

AC Milan just won their first league title in 7 years! They are my second favorite football club, so you can understand my happyness :yey: :yey: :yey: :yey: :yey:

The football team of my city, just guaranteed a promotion to the first class league of my country ! We fought with economic crysis, the club was pretty close to be folded, but we survived and now we're in the league.

The elements I'm talking about :

My city = Samsun
My city's club = Samsunspor
Country = Turkey

:yey:

maidenhead1996 said:
The football team of my city, just guaranteed a promotion to the first class league of my country ! We fought with economic crysis, the club was pretty close to be folded, but we survived and now we're in the league.

The elements I'm talking about :

My city = Samsun
My city's club = Samsunspor
Country = Turkey

Congratulations! :cheers:

Since my Norwegian club, Fredrikstad, played on Friday (1-1 against Lillestrøm), I've mostly been thinking of today's clash between Man Utd and Chelsea. After the CL quarter-finals I would say United have a psychological edge over Chelsea for now, but recent league results could reduce that element. Chelsea are now in a situation they would not have expected two months ago, and that will obviously give them a boost.

When considering the mere quality of the teams, it's obviously very even. I hope United's excellent home form this season will be what tips the scale in the red direction - and I really hope that no one is talking about Howard Webb after the match.

E I E I E I O,
up the football league we go,
when we are champions,
this is what we sing,
We are Rangers, We are Rangers,
Warnock is our king

We're 2-1 down, who gives a fuck,
We're QPR and we're going up

What a day, one of the best of my life! Went down to Loftus Road, couldn't get a ticket so watched it in a pub next door - there must have been over a thousand supporters without tickets around Shepherds Bush. And we did party long into the night. Completely worth the terrible hangover I now have. Even met a cracking Danish bird in the evening to round it all off. What a day!

Good luck to everyone else's teams :cheers:

:clap:

Mid-table mediocrity in the fourth tier of English football for Southend. What a season. :yey:
@NA: a hefty fine is soooo much better than docked points.

Albie said:
@NA: a hefty fine is soooo much better than docked points.

That's right, QPR haven't gained any unfair advantage on the pitch, we won the league fair and square by being the best team. To take that away would've been awful, but then again the FA aren't known for making wise or correct decisions.

Albie said:
Mid-table mediocrity in the fourth tier of English football for Southend. What a season. :yey:

I'll take mid-table mediocrity next season! :bigsmile:

Hammers have been crap all season, so I think he's seen it coming. And they still have a chance.

But what a great win for United. One point away now ...

Eddies Wingman said:
Hammers have been crap all season, so I think he's seen it coming. And they still have a chance.

Ah, OK, I didn't follow today's fixtures. They must have won then, I assume.

Eddies Wingman said:
But what a great win for United. One point away now ...

Excellent. :)

Forostar said:
Ah, OK, I didn't follow today's fixtures. They must have won then, I assume.

No, they drew yesterday, at home against Blackburn. But they are bottom of the table, and when I talked about "seeing it coming" I meant that he must have seen relegation coming. Hammers have not been out of the relegation zone after Christmas, if my memory serves me well.

Alright, but I guess their chance is very, very small.

FC Twente wins the cup final from Ajax, in Rotterdam:

0-1 Ajax
0-2 Ajax
1-2 FC Twente
2-2 FC Twente

Extra time

Around 3 minutes before penalties would come (damn I wanted penalties  :D ) :
3-2 FC Twente!

Let's see next week how the competition will be decided.. Then the same two clubs meet, but Ajax plays in their home stadium.

Their chances are not good, no. Here's the bottom six when two rounds remain:

15 Blackburn           36 10 9 17 42-56 39
16 Birmingham        36  8 15 13 36-54 39
17 Wolverhampton  36  10 7 19 41-62 37
18 Blackpool           36   9  9 18 49-71 36
19 Wigan               36   7 15 14 36-59 36
20 West Ham         36   7 10 17 41-64 33

The remaining matches involving these six teams:

Blackburn - Manchester United
Blackpool - Bolton
Sunderland - Wolverhampton
Birmingham - Fulham
Wigan - West Ham

Manchester United - Blackpool
Stoke - Wigan
Tottenham - Birmingham
West Ham - Sunderland
Wolverhampton - Blackburn

That first match should already be seen as the last chance for West Ham. Come on Hammers, do or die!
The concurrents have a tough round as well. I expect Man U to win, Fullham as well. The others I'm not sure about.

Forostar said:
That first match should already be seen as the last chance for West Ham. Come on Hammers, do or die!
The concurrents have a tough round as well. I expect Man U to win, Fullham as well. The others I'm not sure about.

I think Blackburn - Man Utd has "draw" written all over it. A draw is probably enough for Blackburn, and it is certainly enough for United. As for Brum - Fulham, I think a draw is likely here too. Fulham have drawn very frequently this season.

Back