Official Football Thread

I know. I am not going to watch it, because it's only showed on a subscription channel that I don't have. Fuck them  :mad:. I guess both Croatia and Norway will field weakened teams anyway. I know for sure that Norway will - our head coach has said several of those who didn't play Cyprus on Friday will get a start.

Team announced

Only three of those who started against Cyprus, will start against Croatia - Brede Hangeland, John Arne Riise and Morten Gamst Pedersen. The other 8 are replaced. Markus Henriksen (Rosenborg BK) will make his debut for Norway.

Interesting.  I suspect the same will be true with the Croatian team.  The team is not playing impressively, IMHO - a scoreless game with the Greeks.

I'll cross my fingers for finding a TV channel which shows that match, it should be interesting. I hold the Dutch as firm favourites to win it, though. I predict these two teams to finish 1st and 2nd with a good margin.

I realize I have two matches to choose from tonight. Swedish TV4, which I have access to, shows Holland vs Sweden. Excellent! A Norwegian channel which I happen to have also shows Denmark vs Cyprus. I'll hope for a draw.

Croatia - Norway 2-1. I saw the highlights in the 23:00 news, and it seemed Croatia were the better team by a good margin. I'm not very surprised (and therefore not really disappointed either), as I had not expected much from this game. Nice to see a couple of the younger players getting a game and doing OK.

I watched Holland - Sweden (4-1). My, oh my how the Dutch counterattacking tore Sweden apart. It was like watching a knife going through warm butter. Now Sweden did miss a couple of glorious chances, and had they got 1-1 things might have turned out differently. But probably not, because when considering the game as a whole, Holland were a level above Sweden.

Also no help from Cyprus or Iceland - Denmark and Portugal both got the three points they need to keep up with us.

@Albie, Nush, other Englishmen: What happened against Montenegro? Abysmal performance by England, good defending by Montenegro or a goalkeeper playing the match of his life?

Eddies Wingman said:
Holland - Sweden (4-1).

Awesome match. The Swedish (who had a big mouth before this match) were totally obliterated.
Beautiful goals!

Too bad both Scotland and Belgium didn't hold their draw/lead yesterday.

Eddies Wingman said:
@Albie, Nush, other Englishmen: What happened against Montenegro? Abysmal performance by England, good defending by Montenegro or a goalkeeper playing the match of his life?

Very poor performance, no tactical in-game changes from the manager, Montenegro keeper saving well when needed, slightly bad luck as England should have had a penalty, lots of fouls interrupting any decent attack - most boring England match I can remember (i.e probably since the last one).

Eddies Wingman said:
It could have been worse, but never mind. I've seen worse.

I felt sad by learning this...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_the_Octopus
20100716154526!Paul_the_Octopus_picks_Spain_over_Holland_in_World_Cup_final_2010-07-09.jpg

Oh the controversy at Old Trafford last night. Gomes, from the first time you learn to kick a ball you follow the simple unwritten rule - PLAY TO THE F'ING WHISTLE. It's as simple as that. The Spurs 'keeper was at fault for that, not Nani. Nani perhaps should have been a little bit more sporting, but that's football these days.

Nani was at fault initially, in the sense that he committed a foul. The linesman was at fault for not flagging (until some time after the goal was scored  :huh:). The referee was at fault for not awarding a freekick and booking Nani. And as you say, Gomes was at fault as well. Sporting play doesn't really exist anymore, we saw the same thing happen with Torres at Liverpool earlier in the season.
But don't get me started on officials' incompetence. We had a useless, fat, orange cunt at QPR yesterday. Ridiculous penalty.

Back