Official Football Thread

Eddies Wingman said:
Albie - which stadia do England plan on using? Some are quite obvious because of their capacity (Wembley, Old Trafford, Emirates, St. James's Park), but which others? Villa Park, Anfield, Stamford Bridge, COMS?
http://www.england2018bid.com/hostcity/

There is some surprises - like Plymouth, Milton Keynes and Bristol. But it does a good job in spreading the tournament across the country rather than focus it in a dozen of the major cities.

If England does get it, it would be pretty good for us in general (depending on what you feel about it): 2012 Olympics, 2015 Rugby World Cup, 2018 Football World Cup and 2019 Cricket World Cup. Four of the worlds biggest sporting tournaments within a six year period.

And if we spread it out over the whole of Britain to what is being hosted here....

If it's in Britain, I might have to try to get to see a game. Any offers to have a crazy Canuck come over in 7 years?

In this evaluation The Netherlands/Belgium-bid had a fair amount of negative criticism, so I doubt we're going to make it.

Still, there were positive points as well. And I know that Euro 2000 was a big success. The countries have proved they can work together well. Plus I guess this is the only party without any suggestion of corruption.

I guess it will be England.

By the way, besides the info Allbie provided us (less than 20 words), I miss any more background-info by the FIFA.
Can't find it.

I suspected it would be England.  I'd be surprized to see it in a co-hosting nations, especially Ned/Bel since Euro was there not long ago. 

Actually, three of the four bids are from three successive hosts of the UEFA European Championship (England '96, Ned/Bel '00, Spa/Por '04). Russia is the only bidder that have not hosted a major football event in the last 15 years (except the 2008 Champions League final, but that's just one match).

Eddies Wingman said:
Russia is the only bidder that have not hosted a major football event in the last 15 years (except the 2008 Champions League final, but that's just one match).
That is partly the reason why I would have thought Russia will get the nod. The plus points for England are good plus points and the bad ones are easily rectified - which is why I am hopeful.

Albie said:
That is partly the reason why I would have thought Russia will get the nod. The plus points for England are good plus points and the bad ones are easily rectified - which is why I am hopeful.

Maybe Russia also have to host a European Championship first, to prove themselves to FIFA? Of course, that would mean that their next chance for a World Cup would be 2026, since the 2022 World Cup will most likely not be in Europe.

I keep my fingers crossed for England, but I won't be unhappy with a Ned/Bel World Cup either. I don't need the World Cup in order to travel to England to watch footy  :D Going to Manchester with three mates in December to watch United v Arsenal (Monday 13th) as well as a lower-league match on Saturday 11th and probably Bolton v Blackburn on Sunday 12th.

The only Turkish side in the UEFA Champions League, Bursaspor lost to Valencia 6-1 tonight. They haven't got any points, they just scored their first goal in this match. My country's football is really going down.

Yeah, what has happened to the big ones? Besiktas? Galatasaray? Why are they useless now, they used to be serious contenders for going through from the group stage in the CL. Not every year, but frequently.

Fredrikstad are back in the top flight!!! 4-0 in the second leg of the playoff and we've THRASHED Hønefoss! football, eh? Bloody hell! Only depressing thing is I couldn't get home to attend the match ...

Eddies Wingman said:
Yeah, what has happened to the big ones? Besiktas? Galatasaray? Why are they useless now, they used to be serious contenders for going through from the group stage in the CL. Not every year, but frequently.

Beşiktaş signed with some big names this season. Ricardo Quaresma, Guti Hernandez etc. Their manager is a big name too, Bernd Schuster. But the squad harmony is %0. They have a lot of great players, but they have a lot of terrible players too. Beşiktaş is 6th in the Turkish league. But they're good in the UEFA Europa League.

I'm a Galatasaray fan. And the management of the club is terrible. The managers have no respect to the fans, and they don't know how to manage a club. We have a lot of great youngsters in our youth academy, but we still play with our terrible players. Our centre midfield position is sucking, we maybe have the worst centre midfielder rotation in the world. Mustafa Sarp, Ayhan Akman, Barış Özbek they all suck. Our defence is bad, our players don't give their effort to the game. We lost to Karpaty Lviv in the Europa League playoff. And we're 10th in our league.

Fireworks after yesterday's match:

127879-1.jpg

Sometimes, we forget that the footie season in Norway (is it the same in the rest of Scandinavia?) is different to the rest of Europe. Congrats to your team EW. :ok:

The Swedish season is the same as the Norwegian - starts in March and ends in November. The Danish do it the way most of Europe does - startin in August and finishing in May - but I think their winter break is quite long.

The Norwegian season is now over, spare Rosenborg's two remaining matches in the Europa League.

And, by the way, thanks  :D I'm still celebrating. Afterwards I'm going to have one of these:

napoleonskake.JPG

Off topic: That dish looks like something similar in Croatian, minus the strawberry? cover on top.  Having for desert on Christmas.

kolaci-kremsnita.jpg

Off topic: There is no strawberry stuff on top. It's just the icing on the cake  :D I guess the reddish colour is a photographic artifact.

On topic: For the first time since 1995, a Man United player has scored five times in one match. Dimitar Berbatov scored five times against Blackburn Rovers in a 7-1 thrashing  :D

Back