Official Football Thread

Agreed, that's just as exciting, we only haven't much history with Spain (need to look that up later, if Spain goes through).

After watching two whole matches (the last two) by Netherlands, I'm still not convinced... I didn't enjoy their football
and the fact that two very critical goals were purely luck and/or offside doesn't make it any better.

Spain a little better, I really liked the way they played against Portugal, and that goal of Villa. But with Paraguay they played like shit.

A priori, I'll be glad to see a new team winning this cup, thus Spain or Netherlands, but if Germans continue to play like with Argentina, so be it  :)

That's not a straight angle. Sorry guys I am going to make it hard for some of ya.

So you're saying that Van Persie was on side?

Bottom line is that Holland deserved to win this match.

No it didn't. Neither did Uruguay.
It's a shame that this lousy team reached finals, '90s Holland was far, far better.
Holland had a few lucky moments on this tournament...i think it's going to run out, like Turkey on EC2006.

Unless Spain steps it up Germany is going to win. Spain has won their matches 1-0 or 2-1. Germany PUMMELED Arg 4-0, that is no easy feat. I for one am hoping for a Dutch vs. Deutsch final :)

Zare said:
So you're saying that Van Persie was on side?

Someone says that Van Persie was on side??  :bigsmile: ...ok I'm taking a guess : Foro ?  :D

Zare said:
No it didn't. Neither did Uruguay.

Absolutely neither.
But it would have been more awesome -especially against Spain.
If it's ze Germans to win I prefer to play against the Netherlands. For some good ol' virtuoso football  -_-

Zare said:
It's a shame that this lousy team reached finals, '90s Holland was far, far better.

The same was Brazil  ;)

Zare said:
Holland had a few lucky moments on this tournament...i think it's going to run out, like Turkey on EC2006.

Fuck yes! Also a few opportunities to goal from these that you can't loose...

What a disappointment, I had to feel like this since 1990 -ooops a sign ??

Van Persie was on side acording to the Dutch television. I think it was a very close call. And the assistant ref should only raise his flag if he is sure it is off side. When in doubt the flag should stay down.

Yes, I am Dutch.

And yes Holland is not playing as good (beautiful) as I hoped. Still in the end nobody remembers what kind of footbal the winner played. I can only hope the final will be a good match.

Welcome Warhurst! Well said.

I was just about to say the same. We have seen enough great football in the past. For once, I'd like to see results.
And the road to this success has been sublime. Holland won all their matches on this tournament. Spain didn't, Germany didn't, no one else did. Just this lousy team.  :D

Forostar said:
Welcome Warhurst! Well said.

I was just about to say the same. We have seen enough great football in the past. For once, I'd like to see results.
And the road to this success has been sublime. Holland won all their matches on this tournament. Spain didn't, Germany didn't, no one else did. Just this lousy team.  :D

Wha...

When did they lost?

I can't remember  :blink:.

September 2008, a friendly match vs Australia.

The only match Holland ever lost under Van Marwijk (1 out of 27?).

Which means we are guaranteed a new world champion!

I think the Spanish had learned from watching Germany's previous matches. They did not give away nearly as much space as England or Argentina at the back. All the counter-attack opportunities Germany got, were more difficult than those they had in the previous matches. Hardly ever were the Spanish outnumbered.

Of course, this meant they didn't create as much as they could, but they were tremendously much better than in previous matches and were able to create chances against a solid German defense. It was, in the end, no surprise that the winning goal came from a corner. Both teams seemed to cancel out the other team's strengths. Much like a game of chess, really.

Like i predicted before, Spain finally adopted full Barcelona style, and Germany didn't have any other way than to defend inside their own half. Luckily for Spain, Germany wasn't trained for full defense, they are offensive team.

After first 20 minutes or so, i didn't have any doubts that Spain will win. Germany just didn't create enough play to strike a goal. And you need to have a play, even for a lucky goal, a penalty, or something. Again, Spain's goal was corner kick by Xavi, with both Puyol and Pique on that ball. If Germans managed to defend for 120 minutes, i have a lot more confidence in Casillas, Xavi, Iniesta, Villa...etc, than their German counterparts.

In any case, finals will be quite interesting.
And yeah, i'd like Uruguay to win against Germany, but chances are low, Uruguay can't hold ball much and Germans will be all over the place.

Forostar said:
Thankfully it wasn't that bad after all. Something had to be done with some teeth, but no broken jaw. Still, De Zeeuw will probably loose his place to De Jong (who was suspended) anyway, so our midfield can play at full force again.

@Genghis: as you might know, all three pronunciations are wrong. ;)

According to the quick news on CBC, X-rays revealed a broken jaw.  Bah!  Can't trust a Canuck reporter with (real) football news or with name pronunciations.  :D
Eddies Wingman said:
... Spain win tonight [and] we are guaranteed that whichever team wins on Sunday, they do so for the first time!

That's partially what has me excited.

So far my pre-quarter predictions are 6 for 6. 

Ok my thoughts about yesterday : Spain showed us how Brazil & Argentina should play.
Of course it's difficult to find a Latino keeper as good as St.Iker Casillas, but anyway let them improve their defence, pressing and team spirit first.

Netherlands didn't show much things until now, plus they had a relatively easy program. So I expect from them more, as I expect a decent final.

____
ps : I had forgotten how good Spain can be... 

no_5 about Holland vs Brazil, where he showed what aspect of football he finds important:

Will-I-Am said:
Even big chances need great finishers and this game was more matter of luck /effort, than talent.
How many shoots on goal did Netherlands today ? Two ? Three ?

Forostar about Holland vs Brazil
Shots 11
Shots on goal 5
Goals Scored 2

Forostar about Spain vs Paraguay:
Shots 16
Shots on goal 6
Goals Scored 1

Forostar about Holland vs Uruguay
Shots 11
Shots on goal 7
Goals Scored 3

Forostar about Spain vs Germany:
Shots 13
Shots on goal 5
Goals Scored 1

All statistics by FIFA

@Forostar :
I didn't like this touch 'what aspect of football he finds important'.
But even, I don't know where FIFA  found this 5 shoots, 2 or 3 of them were at the end when Brazil searching desperately for a goal and Holland was counter-attacking...
Until the second goal I don't remember any shoot on goal -the first goal was definitely not a shoot.

As far as the football I prefer, Spain demonstrated it very well yesterday.
Netherlands too, are able to play good football, but I didn't see it until now. And I would like to, at least for the final.
I don't care if they made only victories until now, I don't care about results, I want to see something decent, hic et nunc 

A boring match Spain v. Germany. Too bad that Spain won, the final game will probably be as boring as this one. I hope Netherlands scores an early goal and kicks their ass.

Does the Spanish tactic remind you of Greece when they won the Euro 6 years ago? They also played a defensive bunker and scored about one goal per game...

Paul the Squid's prediction record is now 6 for 6! :D

Back