Official Football Thread

By the way, some clever guy came up with this convincing argument for why Germany will win the World Cup:

stm.jpg

The two exceptions are the pairs 1958/2006 and 1966/1998. But since the latter links two countries who both won their only title while hosting the World Cup, there is really only one exception  :D

Zare said:
I have a question for resident ManU fans;

1980 - to celebrate 69th birthday of my hometown club (Hajduk Split) + the opening of the new stadium, ManU was called to play a friendly match. ManU lost 6-0, what is said to be their worst defeat ever. These players were on ManU side that night :

Bailey, Nicholl, Houston (Jovanović), McIllroy, McQueen, Buchan, Coppel, Wilkins, Jordan, Maccari, Thomas (Grimes).

So the question is, was this the real, A lineup, or some B squad, juniors, etc...?
I most certainly remember that Man U side of that era and that line up would have almost been the first team. Bailey was their first choice keeper at the time, Buchan was the captain, Jordan and McQueen were fairly recent signings from Leeds, Coppell was the.....

In fact, look at the line up for the 1979 FA cup Final. Not a lot of difference there.

A note about that final, it was one of the most dramatic last 5 minutes you would have ever seen in a final. Almost as dramatic as the Champions League final 1999. Read more....

Will-I-Am said:
A big player ?? Only a big player ?? My friend...

Maradona was something more than a big player. Much more. He won a World Cup by himself, he was stolen another one.
(And who knows what would have happened in 1994, if...) Is like if Forlan's Uruguay takes this World Cup.

Maradona was a god, like Hendrix was a god, so simple.

One man alone can't win a world cup. Got to admire Emile Heskey tho ....has a disasterous World Cup....comes home, puts a frock on and wins the womens title at Wimbledon! 

Forostar said:
Albie, there was indeed some atmosphere yesterday evening.

Check this out: A cafe in Amsterdam full of Brazilians with a couple of Dutchmen. Those reactions!
http://nos.nl/wk2010/video/169277-amste ... ianen.html
(the bald man is married with a Brazilian woman, who dislikes his cheering hehe)

I have an uncle who lives in Brazil with his Brazilian wife.. well I wonder how he experienced that!
edit:
I just heard from my father who called him, that he said that the Brazilians finally can go back to work again, after one month of hardly doing that.

I also thought this soundclip is funny to hear. The radio commentator goes crazy after the winning goal.
http://nos.nl/wk2010/audio/169199-radio ... edbra.html

My Dutch buddy came to camping late because he was too busy celebrating, walking down the streets of Ottawa in an orange wig and orange paint face.  When he arrived, it was kind of apparent that the Dutch won.  So much for my plan of not learning of the games until I watched them today.  :D
Albie said:
It is Spain that will be looking for a slice of luck. I can't see Spain losing tonight, so my semi-prediction is most likely to be spot-on. So for the final, it will be a repeat of 1974. But sorry Foro, the Germans will triumph once again. Spain will finish third.
But you have to admire their efficiency. And their history for this competition. This will be their 11th semi in 15 attempts.

The quarter finals were as I predicted.  Germany is definitely improving game by game and if anyone can defeat the Spanish they can.  I would not be disappointed or surprised if Germany wins, but I won't change my predictions.  
Eddies Wingman said:
By the way, some clever guy came up with this convincing argument for why Germany will win the World Cup:

stm.jpg

The two exceptions are the pairs 1958/2006 and 1966/1998. But since the latter links two countries who both won their only title while hosting the World Cup, there is really only one exception  :D

I'm convinced.

Albie said:
Uruguay to win in 2014 then.

This World Cup is just a warning of things to come!

One worrying thought: Does this mean that the two next World Cups (2018 and 2022) will not be played due to a world war?

You knew if anyone was going to get the equalizer for Uruguay, it would be Forlan...and it was.

Far better gameplay from Uruguay in the first half, the Dutch basically had the one chance when they scored, while Uruguay keeps attacking all the time.

And the Dutch goal was an unbelievable, unbelievable shot. Perfect. The keeper touched it but didn't alter its course...

The side referees aren't exactly at their best today, they've called 2 or 3 offsides when in fact the players weren't even nearly offside.

True. I think the linesmen have had a ad day so far. The referee has been very good, though. Good handling of the entire Caceres/Sneijder situation. A hot-headed referee could have made it worse.

I think the Dutch need to shape up a lot. They have been tamed well by the Uruguay defense. But they were worse off after 45 minutes against Brazil ...

Far better gameplay from Uruguay in the first half? Nah.

I think the Dutch had more opportunities than Uruguay. Until the goal we were technically and tactically far better. But after the 1st goal (which was a mistake by Stekelenburg), they lost concentration and played weaker. At the end they picked it up again. It's a quite equal match.

We should keep in mind that Uruguay's defense is really hard to penetrate, and some patience was needed to get into a right position. It might look not so impressive but that's what it is: playing with patience.

I was also somewhat annoyed by the referee. He blew the whistle at the 47th minute while there were 3 extra: in the middle of an attack!

Now I hope we're going to have a good break again like last match.... and I am hoping for Van der Vaart, which could give us some extra passing opportunities.

edit: Yes, Van der Vaart replaces De Zeeuw. Now I hope this makes a difference.

*runs back to TV*

Onhell said:
um... they only added 2 minutes foro... and I agree, very equal so far, really good game.

Ah OK. They indeed added 2, but the commentator on my television said it ought to have been three but he probably was wrong then. I didn't notice the sign myself.

Nice offside for the 2nd Dutch goal...

Edit: There goes the 3rd for Netherlands, this one was great!

Back