Official Football Thread

If Switzerland hadn't scored that goal, then it should have been a penalty.

So a major upset with that result - that group could well come down to goal-difference I think.

Wow, I did not realize Spain had gone so long without winning. For sure I was cheering for the Swiss, but I did not realize Spain was that dominant. Good on them!

Of course, Spain nearly tied it with that laser beam off the bottom of the crossbar. That striker will be seeing that shot in his dreams!

LooseCannon said:
Of course, Spain nearly tied it with that laser beam off the bottom of the crossbar. That striker will be seeing that shot in his dreams!
Midfielder ;)

I'd blame Casillas for the goal too, he should've gone with his hands, not his feet. He wimped out of the challenge.

Excited for this game though. Come on Bafana Bafana!

Jonszat said:
I'd blame Casillas for the goal too, he should've gone with his hands, not his feet. He wimped out of the challenge.

Norwegian TV2's World Cup studio were discussing exactly that. One of their "expert pundits" is former Norway goalkeeper Frode Olsen (26 caps) who indeed shared your opinion.

South Africa seemed tame yesterday. Were they nervous? They did not show any of the free-flowing football they did in the second half of the Mexico game. And Uruguay took their chances well. The penalty/red card situation was probably offside, though. (Cavani (#7) had a touch on the ball before it went to Suarez.)

And I wonder how much the little touch off the defender's head had to say for Forláns 1-0 screamer.

LooseCannon said:
Wow, I did not realize Spain had gone so long without winning.

you mean losing... and before that 12 game streak, they had a 15 game streak that was snapped by the U.S in the Confederations cup.

Looks like the main world cup tactic is to bunker all 10 players 40 meters from their goal, and wait for mistake. Fucking Mourinho. This game is getting worse every day.

But i don't care...my favourite team plays like it's 1966  :D

Finally a good match, Argentina v S. Korea.

The red card for the Nigerian player was justified, what the hell was he thinking, attacking the Greek like that? Too bad that the red card will probably cause Nigeria to lose the game, if the Greeks continue attacking like this, they'll certainly score again.

By the way, do the African teams' players seem more naive than players from other continents? I mean, they try stalling for time by rolling on the ground and faking injuries, they do these kind of stupid unnecessary fouls and so on.

national acrobat said:
I'm prepared to be lambasted for this, but I think Maicon's goal was a fluke. ....
I agree. Few top strikers (let alone defenders) will have the ability to score that goal - and mean it. Not from that angle.

Forostar said:
Go Switzerland!  :)

Spain's first loss since November 2006!
First competitive loss - as they lost to the US last year. ;)

Zare said:
Looks like the main world cup tactic is to bunker all 10 players 40 meters from their goal, and wait for mistake. Fucking Mourinho. This game is getting worse every day.

But i don't care...my favourite team plays like it's 1966  :D

I think the last few games have all been much better, starting with Spain-Switzerland yesterday. Maybe the stalemates are done with now?

That foul by Nigeria's Kaita is seriously challenging those handballs on Saturday for dumbest action in this World Cup. What on Earth was he thinking?

France vs Mexico right now also seems quite positive, both teams probably realize they need to win tonight ... let there be goals, and plenty of them please.

I think Mexico have looked like the stronger team in the first half. I'm watching on Swedish TV, and one of the studio guys said "I'm in love with this match". I feel some of the same, it is by far the liveliest goalless half so far in this world cup. By the way, the female "expert" in SVT's studio is cute  :)

Cool, veteran Blanco entered the field (that was before the first goal). He is 37 years old and was also present at the World Cups of 1998 and 2002.

And the goal itself was cool as well. Mexico, ariba, ariba!

Opportunity for a second goal for Mexico: A PENALTY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Blanco takes it! And scores!

France can forget it, because Uruguay and Mexico can make "a deal" in the last match (a draw) which will execute both France and South Africa.

Onhell, yeah man! Mexico to the next round!  :ok:

Yay! This means that probably my team of choice from both CONCACAF and CONMEBOL will go through (Uruguay and Mexico)  :D

Dammit, listen to those Mexicans! You can hear "Ole! Ole!" drowning out the vuvuzelas whenever a Mexican player has the ball. Football, eh? Bloody hell.

Just to elaborate on the above, my teams of choice from the other associations are: AFC - Australia. CAF - Ghana. UEFA - England. I always do like that, pick one team from each part of the world to support until they're out.

Back