Official Football Thread

Forostar said:
And check out this celebration! Man, he sure knew how to anger those supporters!
I don't need to watch that vid to know what it's about. Seriously, running the whole length of the pitch to stir up some trouble.

I heard the FA is likely to suspend him.  No matter.  Man City looks like a juggernaut this year, what with all the talent they purchased. 

I actually liked it as well. Especially the reaction of those angry infants. Who knows what words they might have thrown at him.

Sorry.

This is also remarkable news. Club owner fires(!) coach because he is not allowed to visit the locker room! :)

Steaua owner sacks coach Bergodi after changing room spat

BUCHAREST, Sept 18 (Reuters) - Steaua Bucharest owner Gigi Becali has fired coach Cristiano Bergodi after the pair were involved in a changing room confrontation during the side's opening Europa League Group H game on Thursday.

The Romanian tycoon dismissed the Italian coach after Bergodi had demanded the owner return to his seat when he attempted to give the players a pep talk before the second half of the 0-0 draw against Moldovan side Sheriff Tiraspol.

"I've never been to the locker room in my life," European Parliament Member Becali was quoted as saying by sports daily Gazeta Sporturilor on Friday.

"I wanted to give boys a signal to wake up but Bergodi humiliated me. It's over, Bergodi is no longer Steaua coach."

Bergodi, who was only appointed in June, has been replaced by former Steaua coach Mihai Stoichita.

Quetzalcoatlus said:
AWESOME  :yey: I just found my new hero  :D
Forostar said:
I actually liked it as well. Especially the reaction of those angry infants. Who knows what words they might have thrown at him.
Hmm. OK, on the face of it it does look funny - but let's look at it again. He was targeted by, I believe, one of the Milan clubs and made it known that he was ready to leave Arsenal (or something like that). He doesn't go to Italy, but moves to Man City instead (no surprises for guessing his motives there, then :D). His split with Arsenal left a bitter taste in the mouths of the Arsenal fans so on his first game against the Gooners, he taunts them after scoring by running the whole length of the pitch to celebrate in front of them. Why would he do that? There was no reason to do that at all. At best it's just plain immature and very unprofessional.

But then again, who said that professional footballers should be mature? :huh:

:blink: From his reaction I thought that Arsène Wenger had him dismissed or something

So if nothing like this has happened, we come to the conclusion that my new hero is a fucker:
He likes piss off the people without any particular reason
Or a joker: Cause his action had something of black humour -very spiritual in some level  :D

Quetzalcoatlus said:
So if nothing like this has happened, we come to the conclusion that my new hero is a fucker:
No, not really - just a footballer with a momentary lapse of reason.

I say momentary....

Albie said:
[...] just a footballer with a momentary lapse of reason.

I say momentary....

...And I say Pink Floyd  :p
A+momentary+lapse+of+reason+1987.jpg

That's what I immediately thought as well. I guess that's because English is not our first language. Floyd introduced me that expression first. ;)

He he I know -and I like when you do it; trying to read behind the hidden message of your words,
cause you know, sometimes words have two meanings  ;)

Last Thursday Ron Vlaar of Feyenoord made a stunning goal from 60(!)-meter vs an amature team in a cup match. Check it out, it's the third goal.

Link

Forostar said:
Last Thursday Ron Vlaar of Feyenoord made a stunning goal from 60(!)-meter vs an amature team in a cup match. Check it out, it's the third goal.

Link

That should teach the goalie not to go off his goal line.

Well indeed, but it's not so easy to score like this. Even Pele failed, and in the Dutch competition it happened only twice (I think). So that's why most goalies are not per se on their goal line when the ball is on the other half. :)

I must admit, it does look pretty good when players score like that. Last season Rooney came very close to doing so against Man City when City's keeper came up for a corner and only just got back in time. I also remember last season, or the season before, Paul Robinson (Spurs and England keeper) taking a free kick for an offside and scoring from that - and he was well within his own half. Saying that, I doubt it was Robinson's intention.

But the pick of goals like that must be Pat Jennings scoring from his own penalty area. Again not his intention, but spectacular nonetheless.

Albie said:
I also remember last season, or the season before, Paul Robinson (Spurs and England keeper) taking a free kick for an offside and scoring from that - and he was well within his own half. Saying that, I doubt it was Robinson's intention.

Was that goal allowed? An offside gives an indirect free kick, did anyone except Robinson touch it before it crossed the line?

Back