Official Football Thread

Most interesting story of the summer: Man City will be playing a 1-1-8 formation next season (at least that's what I presume going by their signings). And I thought my own manager's 3-6-1 formation was ridiculous.  :D

Mex 5 USA 0!!!! Viva Mexico Cabrones!!!!!!!!!!

Mexico beat the US on US soil for the first time in 11 years! and by a 5 goal margin for the first time since 1957 to win the 2009 Gold Cup! I think it is safe to say that of the 70,000 spectators 60,000 were Mexicans. It's great that a US vs. Mex game IN the U.S is still a home game for Mexico hahahaha.

Indeed. The Gold Cup has been around for like 10 years, or at least the U.S being the permanent host of it. It is for CONCACAF teams (Canada, U.S, Mexico, Central America and the Caribbean.) The strongest teams on paper are usually the U.S and Mexico, though this year Honduras and Costa Rica (which both made it to the semifinals) were very strong.

national acrobat said:
Most interesting story of the summer: Man City will be playing a 1-1-8 formation next season (at least that's what I presume going by their signings). And I thought my own manager's 3-6-1 formation was ridiculous.  :D

What, why shouldn't those last two play in attack as well? They'll feel lonely back there. Oh, and put the goalkeeper up front as well.

As for the Gold Cup, one of Fredrikstad's players actually went all the way to the semi-final with Costa Rica. Celso Borges managed to put his mark on the tournament with some important goals (including a really nice overhead kick in their 5-1 win against ... eh, can't remember). Anyway, thanks to Mexico for sending Costa Rica out in the semi so Borges could return in time for tonight's league match. And of course, congrats with the victory  :)

Kopfanatic said:
Dont you think Van Der Sar has been a little creaky and error prone this season? I hope he plays as many games as possible because I think hes going to cost Man U more points

Was looking through this thread tonight and came across this classic. After this post, from early November, United started their run of 14 consecutive clean sheets in the league  :D

Eddies Wingman said:
Well, when van der Sar retires I hope Ferguson has a clear first choice ready, so we don't end up with some new Bosnich or Taibi ...

We won't need a new keeper when VDS retires, Fergie has been so impressed with City's spending, he plans to adopt a 0-0-11 formation!!

Just wanted to vent some frustration over the Ibrahimovich-Eto'o exchange between Inter and Barca. Personally I think it's a terrible deal, I've seen Zlatan play in the Swedish national team (admittedly a different scenario from Inter or Barca) and he's always crap. He's a good head player because he's tall, but that's about all the advantage I think this trade brings. Eto'o is far more moveable and versatile on the pitch. Anyway, I hope for Barca's sake everything goes well, what with Real Madrid's recent purchases (Kaka, Ronaldo).

He will surely be missed. His first achievement was that he worked wonders with Ipswich Town, leading them to several successive seasons close to the top of Division 1 and winning the FA Cup and UEFA Cup. He also took England to the semi-final in 1990 and won league titles both with PSV Eindhoven and FC Porto, as well as the Cup Winners Cup with Barcelona.

A great manager, a great person. Rest in peace Robbo.

So, tonight we're gonna have Scotland vs Norway.

Plus a so called friendly between Holland and England.
I expect both teams won't be in good shape, playing in between seasons. And Gerrard won't p;ay. :/
Still I hope it's going to be entertaining.

*opens up a beer bottle*

After Mr. Caldwell got sent off, it was just a question of how big our win would be. Still, despite this very very satisfying win against the Scots, we have a very small chance of qualifying for South Africa. Not only do we need to win the two final group stage games (Iceland away and FYROM at home), we also need to see Scotland drop points, and at least one other #2 finishing with less than 12 points (after points taken against their #6 are subtracted). Then we need to win the play-off against some (possibly very strong) team.

I think I'll just enjoy the win.

Also partly watched Holland vs England, but when Norway vs Scotland was finished, I was already a little drunk, so I never paid full attention to the game. Had a friend over at my place and we played guitar and drank Scotch whisky  in celebration of the win  :D The parts I actually watched from Amsterdam were entertaining enough.

*Putting away the empty beer cans*

Back