Official Football Thread

First of all there's no way Torres will go from Liverpool to United. If they do have to sell him , he will go to Italy or Spain.Losing Macherano would also be a blow.If that happens then I'm seriously worried that Liverpool will do a Leeds and plummet down the leagues.

I'm not too worried about Alonso going to Spain either, because we have a ready made replacement in Jay Spearing, if only Benitez will give him a chance

Anyway, I really wanted to comment on a book I've just read, Jamie Carraghers' Biography.I've bet a tenner that he will be Liverpool manager within 15 years.

I've also put a tenner on John Barnes leading Tranmere into the premier League within 5 years.

Kopfanatic said:
If that happens then I'm seriously worried that Liverpool will do a Leeds and plummet down the leagues.

I'm not too worried about Alonso going to Spain either, because we have a ready made replacement in Jay Spearing, if only Benitez will give him a chance

Anyway, I really wanted to comment on a book I've just read, Jamie Carraghers' Biography.I've bet a tenner that he will be Liverpool manager within 15 years.

I've also put a tenner on John Barnes leading Tranmere into the premier League within 5 years.

Even if Liverpool sold Torres, Mascherano and Alonso they would not "do a Leeds" and tumble down the divisions. They have a good youth set up and in Benitez, I have to admit it, a fantastic manager (even if he does hate Man U and that's a fact lol).

I can see Jamie Carragher moving into management but managing Liverpool? Would Liverpool want to give him a chance or, like Chelsea, would they insist on another proven big name manager coming in?

John Barnes willl not lead Tranmere to the Holy Land, I'm sorry. I have a few Tranmere supporting friends who are mortified by his appointment.

Anyway just for you kopfanatic wouldnt you just love to see this Man U team next season

Van Der Sar, Rafael, Ferdinand, Vidic, Evra, GERRARD, Hargreaves, Valencia, Nani, TORRES, Rooney - tell you what, that would be some team  :p

Do you really think Van Der Sar is going to have another season in goal for Man U? As yet, I haven't heard anything to the contrary, but he just can't keep going.

What I meant by 'doing a Leeds' wasn't just connected to the sale of players.I was really also referring to the alleged financial problems we seem to have. Its just a bit disturbing. Apparently we can't service our debt, which if I remember correctly, was a similar thing which happened to Leeds.

Well, now Liverpool have a lot bigger turnover than Leeds, don't they? For Leeds it was more of "let's use a shitload of money right now, build a great team and hope the gamble pays off". The gamble almost paid off, they were in the semi of the CL one year, but they just had gambled too high. Liverpool and United are (I think) the two clubs in England that earn most money from sponsorships and merchandise, Leeds never were close. They were dependent on prize money or to increase their commercial value quickly to be able to continue what they were doing.

That being said, I am very concerned about the debt problem at United and I feel some solidarity towards Liverpool supporters as well (except for the ones who bent over and gave the Yanks a warm welcome). We're in the same boat on this. And I think if you could go back to the early 90s and point at two clubs who could easily end in this situation, with foreign owners just looking for profit, it would be these two clubs, because they were the biggest. (United maybe not in terms of recent success, but regarding history and fanbase both locally and abroad). The fact that "almost-big" clubs like Chelsea and City have ended up as rich men's toys, comes as no bigger surprise. Of course it's tempting for a billionaire somewhere to buy himself a big name by turning an almost big club, like Chelsea, into a big club with continuous success.

@Albie: I think the coming season will be Edwin's last as United's number 1. If Foster shows progress, he will take over from 2010, if not Ferguson will try to bring in an established top class goalkeeper. I just hope we don't end up with a new situation like 2000.

If Liverpool can't service their debt, then it means that the turnover doesn't mean anything because the interest payments swallow everything up.Its a catch 22 situation.We need a larger capacity stadium to have any chance of catching up to United, but apparently we can't afford to start building it yet.

The clubs own accountants have said that there is a risk to the financial viability of Kop Holdings.I also suspect that the true financial situation of Messrs Gillett and Hicks has yet to be fully realised.

The USA just beat Spain (#1 in the World) 2-0 to advance to the finals of the Confederations cup against either Brazil or South Africa... Hell has officially frozen over for a second time (the 1st when Mexico beat Brazil back in 97 or so hehe)

I saw it! Excellent stuff :)

After beating Egypt (also a strong team) now this! I'd like to see them vs Brazil now. :)

The Americans really deserved it. They played with a lot of heart.

After this, I hope South Africa beats Brazil. It would be wonderful in a twisted way if the two teams everyone expected to be in the final meet in the bronze match.

I guess any loosing streak has to come to an end - 15 consecutive wins (a world record) and 35 matches unbeaten (a joint world record with Brazil) for Spain until today.

In other news, England U21 face their Swedish counterpart in the U21 Championship Semi Final on Friday. And judging by the experience that Stuart Pearce's lot have got (apparently they have made 263 Premier League appearances last season between them), I fancy England's chances.

Albie said:
... and 35 matches unbeaten (a joint world record with Brazil) for Spain until today.

I am sure Spain wanted to break that record. Mhaha.

Albie said:
In other news, England U21 face their Swedish counterpart in the U21 Championship Semi Final on Friday. And judging by the experience that Stuart Pearce's lot have got (apparently they have made 263 Premier League appearances last season between them), I fancy England's chances.

Big chance Marcus Berg will decide that final.

Everyone's missed the most important thing about the Confederations Cup - the ridiculous, most annoying plastic trumpets which they keep blowing. Fingers crossed FIFA ban them before the World Cup.

USA were good last night, a very good team performance by average players. It also proved that Spain are not unbeatable and have a quite suspect defence.

They were overconfident. Period. You don't win 15 matches in a row with suspect defense. Team unity wins beats overconfident giant yet again.

national acrobat said:
Everyone's missed the most important thing about the Confederations Cup - the ridiculous, most annoying plastic trumpets which they keep blowing. Fingers crossed FIFA ban them before the World Cup.

USA were good last night, a very good team performance by average players. It also proved that Spain are not unbeatable and have a quite suspect defence.

Hey, I have one of those trumpets.

Back