Official Beer Thread

A good friend of mine gave me this bottle to celebrate the birth of my son (Adrian):

adriaan.jpg

I won't give it when he has the age (it will be long over date) but I am gonna keep the bottle, hehe.

I just found out that witbier is a typical Belgian / Dutch beer sort. Translations which come close:
German: Weißbier, Weizenbier or Hefeweizen (unfiltrated).
English: Wheat Beer
French: Bière Blanche

These are some white beers I love (excuse me for the pics Perun ;) ):

hoegaarden-glas3.jpg

wieckse_witte.jpg

Yummy!

I also like Witte Raaf (White Raven).

edit:
And: The flavour of wheat beers varies considerably, depending upon the specific style. People who say they don't like this kind of beer should check which brand they have tasted.

drinking:
16 in pubs or cafes, drinking in public is not allowed.

purchase:
16* (under 15% ABV),
18 (15% ABV and over)

*there's a debate if this shouldn't be 18

Perun said:
Yes, I think so. In German it's both "Weizen" and "Weißbier". I can't stand it.  :S

Really? I enjoy Weissbier from time to time. A bit different from the pilsner-type beers I usually drink.

By the way, my favourite beers don't come in bottles - they're brewed and consumed locally at Trondheim's Micro Brewery  :D Combined brewery and pub, with a nice selection of beers - both light and dark.

I'll just throw these out one at a time. Since Japanese beer gets no love here, try Sapporo. Very smooth and refreshing, you can also down quite a bit at a steady pace without having to worry about "falling over the edge".

I was stationed in germany in 1991. WEIZEN was the best beer I've ever had. Imagine going 20 years without a good beer.Grolsch_Dunkel_Weizen.png I was stationed in Korea last year. My beer of choice was spelled CASS. it came in really big plastic bottles.cass-fresh-1.jpg Mmmmmm

Generic Czech beer for me a lot of the time, but there are lots more small UK breweries being set up, and they're getting better all the time. Two of my local breweries, Ilkley and Wharfebank are making decent bottled beers.

I went to Morrisons on the way home today, forgetting nearly all the things I needed to buy, but I did get hold of 3 Troopers for a fiver. Get on that train Brigantium! ;)

Really? That makes it just about the cheapest beer out there, other than Morrisons generic.

Yeah, it's a very good price. The most recent Trooper I bought prior to these cost about £6.50.

I didn't see it on sale in my local Wetherspoons at the weekend, but apparently some of their pubs are selling it too.

Yeah from what I've seen it's actually not the bad, the bottles are certainly bigger (AND cheaper) than the ones for sale at Download.. as you'd expect.

I've accumulated a small collection of standard UK glass bottles, a Swedish bottle with different design, plastic bottles (from Donington) and some plastic pint beakers, plus some coasters.

I think a factory in Bradford where a friend works is printing the labels. I've been on at him to save a few.

Back