Official 2020 Tour Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it is not necessary to go on without Nicko, anytime soon. He is in too good shape for it. If the time comes when he IS not doing well enough anymore (that will take years), the band has not enough will to continue without him. That's just an expectation of mine. If I am wrong, I'm wrong. Let's wait and see.

Hmmmm I understand. However, why do you dismiss the statements given by Nicko about the arthritis in his hands and back problems? I know he is taking care of his health, but some problems just can't be entirely fixed.

On the other hand in 2018 Nicko said this "We got a lot of life left in us. We’ve not ever, that I can recall, unless anyone else in the band has without a band gathering, decided whether or not we want to carry on or not. We just carry on. I’ve always made it clear to Steve [Harris, bass] and the guys that if I can’t drive the band physically, then I’d step down. Don’t get me wrong, boys and girls — I’m not saying that I am. It’s so important that the band carries on and plays as much as we want because we have the passion. Again, it’s not financial, it’s not anything to do with that, it’s because we love it. If it came as a chore and I’ll quote Jan [Gers, guitar], if we ever became a parody of ourselves, that would be the time to hang it up. " (Source: http://kristerlindholm.se/nicko-mcb...f-ourselves-that-would-be-time-to-hang-it-up/)

And this "Imagine me trying to play Run To The Hills at fucking seventy-three years old! So I don’t know, mate. But I’m planning on bowing out gracefully." (Source: http://sofa-king-cool-magazine.com/...self-playing-in-iron-maiden-that-much-longer/)

I don't completely share your opinion abut the will of the other guys as I said before (especially Steve and Bruce) but hey, everybody is entitled to their opinion.

Do you also have links to Nicko and arthritis problems? I confess I might have missed that.

Sure mate I've got at least a couple:

"Before a show, I'll have a good 10-minute warm-up on a little practice kit backstage. That's pretty much to get my hands loose and acclimated to the climate, which is especially important if it's an outdoor gig and it's a bit cold on stage. I have a touch of arthritis in my hands, and if it's really chilly outside I can have a problem holding onto my sticks, so getting the hands nice and warm before the gig is a must. Plus, it's good to get the feet and the whole body moving." (Source: https://www.musicradar.com/news/dru...cbrain-on-new-album-the-final-frontier-271651)

"needed to start looking after my body a bit more. I’ve started to get a bit of arthritis in my hands. I’ve got to be fit. I’ve taken a lot of inspiration from the way that Bruce has fought his way back to health. He’s a strong man, Bruce." (Source: https://www.loudersound.com/feature...hristianity-giving-up-booze-and-getting-older)

And an extra:

"’Im not so bad down, but I had to deal with a lot of tendonitis and tennis elbow so I use to ice a lot after the shows. The rest of the guys are pretty good and don’t really get the aches and pains that I get, because I mean I’m the granddaddy of the band. I have to take care, because I’ve got a bit of arthritis in my hand. Really, I’m counting the days that I’ve got left to be honest with you." (Source: https://www.sflinsider.com/2009/01/25/nicko-mcbrain-music-interview/)

Here's an interview from 2017 with Rod Smallwood in which he jokes about just needing to keep Nicko fit for the band to continue touring.

Thanks for the links and quotes. I do remember of such words, said by Nicko (other examples). But from what I've heard he does not go through great pains like e.g. Neil Peart. Nicko needs to do some special measures before the gig. And also performing deep in the night (Rio 2020) is not ideal when you do not like the cold. But he and the band have dealt well with it. I feel he is a bit modest about his playing, or insecure, and it might feel good for him to sort of position himself in the underdog position. It is noble to let the guys know (and the fans) to have a plan to let the other guys continue. But it is also sounds a bit like fear of something that might not happen soon at all. Yes he is the oldest member by far, but the man is one of the youngest in spirit and also in playing he's doing a fine job. Good enough for me to stay in the band at least... but hey who am I? I also thought Clive was good enough.

Thanks for the links and quotes. I do remember of such words, said by Nicko (other examples). But from what I've heard he does not go through great pains like e.g. Neil Peart. Nicko needs to do some special measures before the gig. And also performing deep in the night (Rio 2020) is not ideal when you do not like the cold. But he and the band have dealt well with it. I feel he is a bit modest about his playing, or insecure, and it might feel good for him to sort of position himself in the underdog position. It is noble to let the guys know (and the fans) to have a plan to let the other guys continue. But it is also sounds a bit like fear of something that might not happen soon at all. Yes he is the oldest member by far, but the man is one of the youngest in spirit and also in playing he's doing a fine job. Good enough for me to stay in the band at least... but hey who am I? I also thought Clive was good enough.

As I said before, it is a pleasure mate. Hope we can keep good discussions and share what info we have

And also performing deep in the night (Rio 2020) is not ideal when you do not like the cold.

Deep in the night? They are playing at 21:30 local time and that is not too different from the time they go on stage everywhere in the world, indoor or outdoor.

I also thought Clive was good enough.

Retrospectively or were you already a fan back in 1982 when Clive was fired?

Deep in the night? They are playing at 21:30 local time and that is not too different from the time they go on stage everywhere in the world, indoor or outdoor.
I read somewhere that they asked to go on around that time and first were scheduled in middle of the night (2 o'clock or something; now Scorpions play this late).
Retrospectively or were you already a fan back in 1982 when Clive was fired?
Retrospectively. In my ears he really sounded fine live, but apparently 'Arry wanted someone else. It is discussed in length in the other Why Was Clive fired thread. ;)

I read somewhere that they asked to go on around that time and first were scheduled in middle of the night (2 o'clock or something; now Scorpions play this late).

Iron Maiden always take the best slot whenever they are headlining a festival and that is not necessarily the last one. I have seen them headline festivals going on stage at 21:00 and have other smaller bands play after them to a fairly diminished audience.

Retrospectively. In my ears he really sounded fine live, but apparently 'Arry wanted someone else. It is discussed in length in the other Why Was Clive fired thread. ;)

Yes, we discussed that at length there (and also concluded that Clive was telling a load of porkies about being replaced by Nicko when he had to fly back to the UK to attend his dad's funeral... What a load of bollocks that turned out to be ;) ).

I will try and sum it all up for those reading this and not willing to revisit the whole thread my esteemed forum member is alluding to. The break-up of the working relationship between Steve and Clive in 1982 was so bad that they had Nicko on a retainer for some time (after he was fired from Trust) while Clive was being given time to get his act together. Nicko was later told by Rod that his services were no longer needed, but things went downhill again. Clive was fired, Nicko was hired, and the rest is history.

There is an element of brand loyalty, but I will go to the shows because I know they'll always be good, whatever the setlist.

If I survived seeing the band on the Virtual XI tour (boy did Helloween wipe the floor with them that night), I would probably be able to survive seeing Maiden with a replacement drummer if Nicko has health problems. That being said, I'd rather see them ending their career with their longest serving line-up rather than turning in a parody of themselves in the vein of AC/DC or Judas Priest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back