NOW WATCHING

Watched Rings of Power season 1.

Expertly crafted narrative, sublime casting and beautiful visuals. I expected something like Disney's Star Wars films or series, instead I got something that is equal or in a few bits even surpassing Peter Jackson's Lord of the Rings movies. Been on board since the first minute, and never felt it dipped throughout the whole of this first season.

I loved the dialogue which is quasi-poetic and very much something Tolkien would have written, the casting was pitch perfect and I would literally write out pretty much all of actors if I just tried to mention anyone, and last but not least the themes and symbolism (in both the small and the big sense) are very much true to the source text.

I've never had as hard of a time seeing the perspective of the criticism - the essence of Tolkien for me is the differing versions and accounts of how things played out. He wrote that into the text, through unreliable narrators and making sure that all information that reached us came through the in-world narrators/translators - namely Bilbo and Frodo Baggins. This is just another version, and it is very much true to the feel and essence of what Tolkien created.

A beautiful Tolkien adaptation.

10/10.

I'm enjoying it lots too. Beautiful to look at, great characterisation, and the plot has warmth and direction. I can forgive some of the bending of Middle Earth lore.

By comparison, as the only other thing Ive been watching, House of the Dragon looks low budget, the plot just seems all over the place, and most of the characters lack depth in their portrayal.

I thought the younger Rhaenyra was well played, the adult version is a bit dull. And what's with all the Matt Smith fangirls?

Watched Rings of Power season 1.

Expertly crafted narrative, sublime casting and beautiful visuals. I expected something like Disney's Star Wars films or series, instead I got something that is equal or in a few bits even surpassing Peter Jackson's Lord of the Rings movies. Been on board since the first minute, and never felt it dipped throughout the whole of this first season.

I loved the dialogue which is quasi-poetic and very much something Tolkien would have written, the casting was pitch perfect and I would literally write out pretty much all of actors if I just tried to mention anyone, and last but not least the themes and symbolism (in both the small and the big sense) are very much true to the source text.

I've never had as hard of a time seeing the perspective of the criticism - the essence of Tolkien for me is the differing versions and accounts of how things played out. He wrote that into the text, through unreliable narrators and making sure that all information that reached us came through the in-world narrators/translators - namely Bilbo and Frodo Baggins. This is just another version, and it is very much true to the feel and essence of what Tolkien created.

A beautiful Tolkien adaptation.

10/10.
Couldn't agree more. The whole season was superb but the final episode was just sublime. And yes, most of the criticism just seems to come from a handful of trolls angry about black Elves.

Can't wait for season two.

Can't imagine how hard it must've been to be a driver given both the limited visibility and the levers and pedals they had to operate.

Last edited:
Welcome to Wrexham - I don’t give many shits about football, but I love Wales, particularly North Wales, and both Ryan Reynolds and Rob McElhenny so this was really the televisual event of the year for me. A documentary brimming with heart and drama and just some funny, goofy shit for good measure.

Watched The Time Traveler's Wife (2022) on HBO.

Started watching expecting it to be a 6 episode mini series. Last episode we realised it wasn't, and that a season 2 was planned and canceled. In the end, I felt I was pretty satisfied with the 6 episodes we were given. Some loose ends, but all in all, it ends perfectly fine. I would still argue they could have done the whole thing in 6 episodes though.

The premise is that a man is suffering from a condition which makes him time travel both back and forth in time, mostly randomly but also affected by his stress levels and he is always coming back to important events in his life. Claire, our protagonist, is his wife. She meets him very early in her life, when an adult Henry is traveling back in time... Is it science fiction? The whole idea behind this story is definitely science fiction. But just like the novel this is a romantic drama.

And just like the novel, the same problems are present here. Is this a story about grooming? Does anyone in this story have agency?

You could write a book on that. So l will leave it at this being slightly problematic. When it is not problematic, it's a fun story full of feels and a great deal of humour.

IMDb score is at 7,7. I feel that is fair.

Bill and Ted Face the Music - It doesn’t matter how much fun I might have had during this film. The final reality saving song was an insipid letdown.

The other night I saw that "League of Superhero Pets" from a couple months ago ... notably better than I had expected.

Lex Luthor's skyscraper turns into a rocket and starts launching into space.
Superman:
Your skyscraper turns into a rocket?!
Luthor: That's not a villain thing. Every billionaire has a skyscraper that turns into a rocket.
Batman: It's true, we do.

Back