NOW WATCHING

I meant the first two live-action Bay-led movies. I find the '86 animated one like I find most cartoons from my childhood, absolute dribble. All of it. TMNT, Voltron, Thundercats, Silverhawks, G.I Joe, etc. They had great theme songs, great "transformation" sequences (He-Man, Voltron), and one or two good recycled action animations, but that's it. None of them aged well.
Can't agree with that. Transformers: The Movie is a legitimately good movie and not just for nostalgic reasons (although it was part of my childhood). It's also the best Transformers movie to date. The Bay movies are an abomination for many, many reasons but mainly for how he manages to completely misunderstand the characters (turning Optimus Prime from a noble hero to a brutal killer with no empathy for example).

Bumblebee is the best of the live action movies.

Glad we can agree on Bumblebee though. I never watched the 86 movie as a kid, I saw it as a 20 something when my 30 something cousin bought it and made us watch it.

Masters of the Universe: Revelation. Absolutely brilliant. A homage to the original series but not reliant on nostalgia. Kevin Smith's best work.FB_IMG_1627176524749.jpg

Yeah, I loved it. Some really bold decisions that I think really added a lot to the He-Man canon. The animation was great - the He-Man transformation scene was awesome.

I thought it was good. I mean, it is HE-MAN and the Masters of the Universe, not Teela Tequila and friends. So... I better start seeing He-Man in his own show.

I thought it was good. I mean, it is HE-MAN and the Masters of the Universe, not Teela Tequila and friends. So... I better start seeing He-Man in his own show.
It's not called He-Man and the Masters of the Universe. It's called Masters of the Universe: Revelation. They dropped his name from the title for a reason.

Personally I think it was a good move to shift the focus away from the traditional He-Man vs Skeletor routine and have more emphasis on the side characters. And that the story was basically a fetch quest gave us more time for character development.

And I'm sure we'll get a lot more He-Man in part two.

I got a free six month pass for Apple TV+ with my PS5 so am about to start See. It's had good reviews so am optimistic.

I've seen that there's been a fair bit of backlash to Masters of the Universe, mostly because Kevin Smith apparently lied to everybody and now I keep seeing his crying face everywhere. I'll probably give it a go at some point, at the very least the stellar voice cast has gotta make it worth watching, and as I don't have any nostalgia for the original whatever changes he's made won't mean much to me.

On a similar subject, I'm watching Transformers: War for Cybertron at the moment. It's... fine. Watchable and enjoyable enough, but a little extra life in the animation and voices would make it great.

I've seen that there's been a fair bit of backlash to Masters of the Universe, mostly because Kevin Smith apparently lied to everybody and now I keep seeing his crying face everywhere.
It's been review bombed by a bunch of whiney manbabies because they made a girl the main character.

Personally I think it was a good move to shift the focus away from the traditional He-Man vs Skeletor routine and have more emphasis on the side characters. And that the story was basically a fetch quest gave us more time for character development.

And I'm sure we'll get a lot more He-Man in part two.
I did like that. What I'm wondering is HOW we'll get more He Man in pt.2. Depending how that happens I may like this season more or less. I have high hopes.

Watched a couple of movies and the experience couldn't have been more different.

First, I FINALLY watched Black Widow. I've been waiting for a Black Widow solo movie since Iron Man 2 and what I got was... OK. Obviously the action was stellar, but the humor wasn't always on point. Stranger Things Sheriff was fine, it was her "sister" I had an issue with. This... self-aware Deadpool wannabe humor.... yeah, we get it. I also hate when movies LIE to you. They SHOW you one thing and then do the whole switch-a-roo and "AHA! See, that's not EXACTLY what happened!" A good movie shows you everything trusting that you won't NOTICE. Hiding in plain sight. I was also curious as to when they were going to place it in the MCU timeline giving that well.... she's dead. So all in all this movie felt more like a Scarlett Johansen/Black widow crememonial lifetime achievement award than a legitimate attempt at a solo film. I laughed a couple of times, but overall felt nothing. No concern for our main cast, didn't CARE for our main cast nor the stock characters nor why they were doing what they were doing. Popcorn flick you forget as soon as it's over. Didn't even have the patience to sit through the credits to see if there was a post scene.

The other movie I watched was the Netflix German movie Blood Red Sky. OH MAN, if I felt nothing with Black Widow, with this movie it was the complete opposite. From the word "PRESENTEIRT" I was intrigued, curious, invested. This movie is not shy about showing you people getting injected or injecting themselves with needles and I HATE needles so that made me VERY squimish and uncomfortable, but at least I felt SOMETHING. You also feel for our protagonist, a woman who at first seems to be sick with cancer, but if you saw the trailer you know she's really a vampire. She and her son are about to embark on a night flight to New York where there is doctor who is promising a treatment. Except they are highjacked by terrorists.... That's when you feel contempt for the terrorists, the usual jerk character, as well as fear and concern for the stock characters, not unlike Train to Busan. Very good movie which may not have a "happy" ending, but it has a satisfying one and THAT in itself is rare these days.

Watched Outer Banks S2 on Netflix.

Season 1 was GREAT at doing whatever it was doing. Season 2 is more of the same, with the first 6 episodes maintaining that momentum. Last 4 however stumbles a bit. But am I strapped in for Season 3? Hell yeah. Give me more of this stupid fun & feels.

Had my first trip to the cinema in over a year last Saturday to see The Suicide Squad. It was superb, OTT, gory madness and I loved it. Aside from that we've just started watching For All Mankind on Apple TV+.

Watched The Witcher: Nightmare of the Wolf, an animated movie on Netflix. We follow a "young" Vesemir, from how he decided to become a Witcher, his selfish attitude and eventually what made him change into the Vesemir we see in the games. It's worth a watch, I found it more enjoyable than Season one of the live action series. I liked this type of origin story for Vesemir and the other Witchers we meet in the games.

Watched Gone Girl last night.... Damn! haven't watched a truly satisfying movie in quite some time. It's basically Basic Instincts on steroids.

Watched Quiet Place II . It was a good follow up with some great action but suffered from the usual problem in sequels where characters make dumb decisions so they can artificially introduce tension and drama.

Back