NOW WATCHING

Finished watching a few shows.

First, The Alienist with Daniel Bruhl. It was dissapointing. Bruhl is essentially a proto-shrink which I guess in the late 19th century were called Alienists. It was dissapointing, because even though it takes place in the 1890s or so, they place WAY too much modern progressive way of thinking into the show. For example, Bruhl is ever patient, kind and understanding with his patients. A couple take their little girl in, thinking there MUST be something wrong with her as she constantly touches herself. Bruhl says in his best father-of-the-year tone, "There is nothing wrong with you, it is natural to want to explore." or some shit like that. Really? is that why well into the 20th century doctors thought the best cure for hysteria was to manually "work" the clitoris? Because they new femal masturbation was "natural?" Things like that took me out of the show more than once.

They are following a killer who kills boy prostitutes in the most, Jack the Ripper, brutal way. Another thing I found ridiculous was the employment of not even 20th, but 21st century forensic analysis into a time period in which it simply did not exist. To this day Forensic science is criticized as "art" at best, a "guessing game" at worst.

They flirt with historical fiction, because the police comissionar is none other than Teddy Roosevelt. I facted checked some of the references the show makes to his life and they checked out, but that's as far as it goes.

The final nail in the you have to be kidding me coffin was the finale.

Like Bruhl's understanding of his patients and the forensics balony, the finale was just as ridiculous. Turns out our killer wasn't born a monster, but turned into one through sexual molestation, child abuse and ptsd from fighting the Natives. Bruhl concludes, "We started looking for a monster, but we found a hurt little boy." No Daniel, you found a fucking monster. Period. Ugh, not watching any more seasons if they get uploaded.

The other one that I watched was 1994, a documentary about the whole year of 1994 and what it meant for Mexico. The centerpiece was the murder of the PRI presidential candidate Luis Donaldo Colosio, but they talk about the economy and country as a whole. I think the coolest thing about it is that my father is in it lol. I got one of those giddy, "My dad is on TV!" moments, even though it is literally for a minute. WAY better than the docudrama Colosio.

Currently watching another documentary of three girls who were kidnapped and murdered in Alcasser, Valencia, Spain in 1992 and also the Scream tv series.

Last edited:
Finished Vikings a while ago, can't believe I forgot to mention it. Made me brush up on A LOT of the history I thought I knew. I was off by like a century on some observations. They don't play too fast and loose with the facts even though they have plenty of wiggle room, considering how few written records survive/are reliable.

I wonder if the land Floki found is modern Iceland... there's another Googling session for another time lol. I ended up really liking the show. Much better than I had in mind. The battles are intense! People lost their shit over Battle of the Bastards in GOT, their's a freaking battle of the batard's every other episode in this show! They are intense, bloody, graphic, they're great.

On a really odd note, I really like how the actor for Bjorn Ironside runs. lol. In many battles they do side shots of him running, just like with other characters, he looks really menacing and fluid. Odd I know, but it jumped out at me.

Edit:

Also saw the fifth "season," of Black Mirror. If you can call 3 episodes a season... It was different. Much more positive than the previous for and not as science fiction and more science reality. Are more episodes on the horizon? I wonder if it will continue with this happy peppy tone or go back to gloom and literal doom.

Seen a few as of late:

Final Girl on Netflix. As with many of the things on Netflix, interesting concept, bad execution. Wes Bently plays some guy (you never really know exactly what he does), who trains a recently orphaned 8-10 year old girl into a super killer a la "Hannah." They target a pack of boys that hunt girls in the woods for sport. So very eh. Don't recommend it.

I noticed that Alita: Battle Angel was out on the website I use to watch movies and remembered it had gotten good reviews. I also remembered that it was a remake of an Anime. Lucky for me the Anime was available on Youtube and gave it a go. It is insanely short, an hour including credits. It feels like an extended Astro Boy episode. I also noticed the original name is GUNMM: Rusty Angel, but traditionally gets translated to Battle Angel. It is a dark vision of the future of the haves and have nots. The Haves live in a floating city called Zalem and all their trash goes to the dump in Iron City, where the Have Nots live. Dr. Ido is a cyborg doctor that finds an intact upper body in the dump and revives her into "Gully." The Spanish version I watched used "Alita," which was used in the remake as well. After that the action and story is a tad disjointed. There is a black market for human vertebrae, because no one has been able to make a fake one successfully and they are used to make cyborgs and such. The Anime focuses on Gully's story, from not knowing who she is, to all of a sudden being a warrior robot.

It centers on her relationship with a boy who is a handyman by day, vertabrae theif by night, his wish is to get to Zalem at any cost. She decides to become a bounty hunter to help him raise the money. while it was made in 1993, the animation looks more dated than that, more like early 80s. The Manga it is based on ran from 1990 to 1995, so it wasn't completed by the time the Anime came out, which apparently is very common. The sequels have run from the early 2000s until now.

The remake, Alita: Battle Angel was produced by James Cameron and directed by Robert Rodriguez and you can tell. Definitely very Spy Kids visually and over the top as with most of Rodriguez's movies. I have to say, the reviews were right, it was a very good movie. It is 2 hours long and there is no fluff, they expand on the story of the original Anime using the Manga sequels. For example, in the remake you have a sport which is a blatant copy of Rollerball called Motorball. No joke, rollerblades, an iron ball, and death. Rollerball... I liked it because I felt I got the Rollerball remake I should have gotten instead of that late 90s piece of shit with Jean Reno, LL Cool Jay and the sweet guy from American Pie. The sport is NOT in the original Anime, but it is in the Manga. Here Alita (aka Gully) decides to be a Motorball champion to help the boy instead of seeking bounties. She still becomes a bounty hunter, but for other reasons. Again, very enjoyable and as a PG-13 movie, it made good use of their one F-Bomb. I recommend both the Anime and the Remake. The original just as a frame of reference and the remake, because it's very entertaining in it's own right.

Lastly I finally watched Brightburn and it did not dissapoint. I really liked it. The kid was great at oozing creepiness and unpredictability. Produced and written by the Gunn brothers it is a super villian horror movie with a GREAT ending, holy crap that was perfect. I'm also hoping for sequels as at the end they have the same guy that played Starlords surrogate dad... something Rooker, as this Alex Jones type of conspiracy theory nut and he rattles off other "monsters" he believes exist and they are all twisted images of classic DC heroes. Definitely worth the watch.

I´m making my way through my second viewing of Stranger Things 3. I LOVED it. Once again they deliver great story, great detail with amazing references, some more obvious than others. That's why I'm watching it again. For example, I hadn't noticed that in the scene when Dustin's toys come to life, the music in the background is the Gremlins theme. Nice touch. Then you have more obvious ones like Carey Elwes calling our main human antagonist "Arnold Swachnegger." Dude literally looks as though Dolph Lundgren and Arnie had a baby and his look is straight out of Terminator 2.

One of my favorites was

At the end when Hopper is fighting our Russian "terminator" the design of the lab and the lighting felt like Luke's duel with Darth Vader.

Great way to bring closure to the series. I've also had the theme to The Neverending Story stuck in my head since last week lol.[/spoiler]

I loved it too. Is it true there will be a fourth and final season?

By the way, is anybody still following The Handmaid's Tale? I'm really loving the action lately.

I think there'll be two more, but not sure. I'm watching THT, just caught up yesterday.

They said they want 10 seasons of this, I just can't see it without a soft reboot. I don't think Waterfords/June story can sustain itself for more than one more season.

Going back to Stranger things for a sec. In current reviews and interviews they keep mentioning season 4.... like... really? I don't think there is a plot need to continue.
Hopper is dead, El lost her powers the Byers moved, Billy is dead as well and once again the gate is closed with the government once again overseeing that it doesn't open again. I say case closed.

Sure it was left with a cliff hanger with the Russians having taken a Demagorgan back to Russia, but so what? it's their problem now. Just odd that it's still alive after having killed the brain or cut it off by closing the gate.

The only way I see a season 4 is to answer my biggest question of season 3. Where the hell were the other lab rats? In season 2 we meet 8, who can make people see things that aren't there. Soooo..... where is 1-7? 12? 25? Hell, why even introduce 8 and not bring her back? Was she just El's Yoda/Sith? So, if we see the further adventures of the lab rats I'm ok with it. Further Red Dawn interventions and with a powerless El they HAVE TO find them to get help. Aside from that, they should just drop it.

Hopper is alive in the Russian prison. They said "not the American".

I think they will do alt history with the Chernobyl disaster being an attempt to open another portal.

Just watched The Bay (2012). I’m going out on a limb to say that this was the scariest fucking film I have ever seen. Holy shit that was so intense. Goddamn. Great but also I wanna die.

Parasite (2019). Highly recommended, it ranges from hilarious to disturbing and looks amazing all the way. Koreans make cool movies.

thumbnail_hero_home-34377.jpg

I saw two movies recently. One was a Hollywood cash grab starring CGI lions and the other was Once Upon a Time in Hollywood. I usually really like Tarantino movies and this was no exception. It was slow, yet didn't feel like its length. I wasn't quite sure where the plot was going, which was sometimes distracting. After the fact, I couldn't stop thinking about the movie and its story and characters. I definitely want to see it again soon so I can savor the long meandering scenes without wondering about how it all ties together.

It's been criticized a lot. From Bruce Lee's daughter to critics. They praise the technicalities of the film, but dialogue and portrayals of several characters got a lot of shit.

After seeing Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, now I am reading a book called Chaos: Charles Manson, the CIA, and the Secret History of the Sixties by Dan Piepenbring and Tom O'Neill. So much more to the story than I was aware of. Quite complicated

After seeing Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, now I am reading a book called Chaos: Charles Manson, the CIA, and the Secret History of the Sixties by Dan Piepenbring and Tom O'Neill. So much more to the story than I was aware of. Quite complicated

I think you will be interested in this film then:

It's on YT but the quality is pretty shoddy, but watchable...

Last edited:
It's been criticized a lot. From Bruce Lee's daughter to critics. They praise the technicalities of the film, but dialogue and portrayals of several characters got a lot of shit.
The scene with Bruce Lee was great. It was really funny and also played into the rumor that Bruce wasn't actually a good fighter but just really good at marketing without really providing a strong answer to the claim one way or another.

Continuing with Korean director Bong Joon-ho. Mother (2009): what an ending. Watch this guy's films, they are amazing.

8a428767246f61b22e1935790dc2393e.jpg

Back