NOW WATCHING

Avatar is an anime that gets a lot of praise but I simply won't bother to watch it because I have already planned to watch way too many shows.

Just add it to the list. That's what I do. It is much easier to make it through a list of shows and movies vs. books. At least for me, because I'm a slow reader and well... life. I'm still 50 pages away from finishing THE POSTMAN... the same 50 from a year ago. I just haven't had the time and when I get home my brain is so fried and occupied thinking of planning classes and grading and bills, etc that I just don't want to read, but I can plow through my list of shows and movies lol.

German film called Die Welle (The Wave) about a teacher who decides to show how a dictatorship can start even in the modern day to his disbelieving students. Powerful movie. Big recommend.

Anybody else watching (Pratchett and Gaiman's) Good Omens? Currently on episode 2 and it's not as bad as one would expect. In fact, it's fun. And David Tennant makes a fantastic Crowley.

Anybody else watching (Pratchett and Gaiman's) Good Omens? Currently on episode 2 and it's not as bad as one would expect. In fact, it's fun. And David Tennant makes a fantastic Crowley.
Yes, watched all of it. Pretty disappointing. Sheen & Tennant are funny, but they were literally holding the whole thing together.

I love Gaiman, but I'm just not sure his stories are made for television. Stardust and Coraline were both great films based on Gaiman books (albeit children's books).

I love Gaiman, but I'm just not sure his stories are made for television. Stardust and Coraline were both great films based on Gaiman books (albeit children's books).
Haven't seen Coraline but Stardust was very good indeed.
And I'm not sure Stardust is a children's book.

Powered through a few more shows recently. Having a week off of work helps lol.

Watched Haunted. A series where people sit with friends and family and relate their experiences with the supernatural. Similar to Paranormal Witness on Sci-fi, I mean, Sy-Fy. Because they are true accounts the episodes usually don't have a neat resolution and at times they don't even have one, the person is still experiencing things. Reminded me of the Mysteries thread. I liked it. I like those kinds of shows, they make me feel understood. That I'm not alone. It's... therapeutic.

Continuing on that vein I also binged The Haunting of Hill House. What a great show, can't wait for season 2. I love how the "haunting" is merely a backdrop to the family drama and their personal issues. The twist, if you can call it that, was amazing, never saw it coming and it was very satisfying. Considering they wrapped it up rather neatly, I don't know what to expect from season 2.

Half way through Vikings. While it is based on real people (Ragnar Lodbrok was King of what is now Sweden back in the 9th Century), I think they do take some liberties and some things just don't make sense.

At first I thought these were going to be the Saxons who invaded England pushing the kingdom of Wales into its modern geography. My assumption came from them hearing "rumors" of lands to the west, but the leaders being reluctant in going at Ragnar's suggestions, opting for safer ransacking to the east in Russia. Of course Ragnar was right and they get to England, Northumbridge to be exact, and later Wessex. However, THESE Vikings refer to the English as Saxons. WHAT? How do they know they are Saxons and not Anglos or, by now, Anglo-Saxons? The English never refer to themselves as Saxons. If they know they are Saxons that means other Vikings have already travelved West, so why are lands to the west a "rumor" rather than fact? I'm not an expert in Nordic pre-medieval and medieval history, but the little I thought I knew has been thrown into question and I'm going to fact check it later. I started with the main characters all of which show up in some written record, though for most little is known about.

I do know that later Vikings came after the Saxons, these are clearly those Vikings, but I'm not 100% on the timelines.

Loved Good Omens really liked American Gods the books.
Was disappointed in Gods the series; haven’t watched season 2 although I will at some point.
Watched the first episode of Omens and mostly enjoyed it, mainly because the leads were amazing.

Back