NOW WATCHING

Back to the Kubrick talk... One of my friends and I watched 2001: A Space Oddysey a few months back. He had a bit of “marijuanas” beforehand though. After the first 10 minutes of the movie we had to pause and have an hour long debate. The debate topic being wether or not the monkeys were people wearing monkey suits.

I don't know if I'd find Evil Dead scary, but I'd definitely be put off by the gore.
:puke:
The original is laughable. The effects are mostly stop-motion, and it all just looks ridiculous. Not to mention the absurdly misogynistic tree rape scene that even Sam Raimi regrets making.

I much prefer the 2013 remake — better characters and effects, and that's a gory film if I've ever seen one. Plus the tree rape is approached far more maturely and handled much better.

Just ended:
The_Mad_Adventures_of_Rabbi_Jacob.jpg

Was watching the Lords of Chaos movie but nearly passed out when Dead started to commit suicide. Fuck that.

Finished watching against my better judgement. Solid as a film - good actors, good characters - but as a deep dive into Mayhem I don’t think it excels. A lot of my issues with this trend of biographical films is that they almost always change stuff around to make it flow better. Christian film makers are some of the biggest offenders there, but I’ll save that rant for another time. Solid, not gonna be something big. Like I said though, good actors help it out a lot. The guy who played Dead really sunk into that roll, even if he didn’t live out a half hour.

Literally just started this week's Walking Dead and I'm calling it that...

Jerry dies. That's why he announced he's becoming a father. Any minor character getting sudden development equals death.

The original is laughable. The effects are mostly stop-motion, and it all just looks ridiculous. Not to mention the absurdly misogynistic tree rape scene that even Sam Raimi regrets making.

I much prefer the 2013 remake — better characters and effects, and that's a gory film if I've ever seen one. Plus the tree rape is approached far more maturely and handled much better.

In that case I'd likely be OK with the original. Gore makes me very uncomfortable, but I'm fine with it if it's ridiculously over the top and hard to take seriously. From what I've seen of it I think that applies to the remake too, but played much straighter.

Disturbing Fun fact: the skeletons in the pool were actual human skeletons.

... really? Wow. :huh:

Is this the film that was supposedly cursed?

Literally just started this week's Walking Dead and I'm calling it that...

Jerry dies. That's why he announced he's becoming a father. Any minor character getting sudden development equals death.
I didn't watch it this week. I'm not sure if I can be bothered to try and catch up.

In that case I'd likely be OK with the original. Gore makes me very uncomfortable, but I'm fine with it if it's ridiculously over the top and hard to take seriously. From what I've seen of it I think that applies to the remake too, but played much straighter.
You'd definitely be fine with the original. Can't tell about the remake though.

While the original became unintentionally comedic over time (the sequels are total slapstick comedies), the remake ditches the humor and goes all out with the horror part of the story. It's the goriest (mainstream) film I've ever seen. I saw it when I was 14, and it terrifies me to this day (possibly because it was one of the first horror movies I've ever seen, I think it was the third). I really love it though, and I've watched it many times.

I kind of want to see that, but guessed it might be a tad dark.
I honestly would recommend it, as I thought it was better than expected, but don’t go in looking for 100% truth about Mayhem, because it works better as a story than anything else. It was dark, but there’s only three sort of over-the-top scenes (Dead’s suicide, Faust killing the gay guy, and Varg killing Euronymous), and some jump scares from Dead “haunting” Euronymous. The latter’s building up of Varg to the point where he’s become a non-stop destructive force was kind of a cool lesson in “watch out or shit will come back to bite you”. I’d probably give it a 7/10 overall. Pretty good.

I came across an article online that listed some times directors have admitted they made some cock-ups in their films. One of them was this moment from Die Hard:

The most interesting plot-holes in cinema are the ones that are opened by a careless editing mistake that leaves evidence of a deleted sequence or subplot. Consider the mention of the Giant Squid in the finale of The Goonies, which was cut and subsequently makes Data look like a fantasist as well as a bit of a weirdo.

The same sort of thing happens in Die Hard and screenwriter Steven E de Souza admitted to the mistake decades after it was released. In the scene that sees John McClane meet Hans Gruber, who pretends to be Bill Clay, the former somehow knows out of the blue that he's one of the terrorists.

How did he do that? Was it incredible police work? Magic? Nope, it was because of a mistake as de Souza confessed that the terrorists all wearing the same watches was key as McClane worked out they were important.

But a key scene that showed they had the same watches and had synchronised them at the start of their plan was cut because the script was changed to include the ambulance for the terrorists' escape plan. When that scene was shot, there was no ambulance, so it had to go.

“[Director] John [McTiernan] says to the editor, ‘Get the scissors in there. Cut as soon as you can when they get off the truck so we don’t see there’s no ambulance.’ Now without ‘Synchronize your watches’ all of these moments where Bruce looks at these guys’ watches makes no sense.”

That's how McClane knows to take the bullets out of the gun, he spots the Tag Heuer, but we were never to know:

“When Bruce offers the cigarette to Alan Rickman, Bruce sees the watch,” de Souza said. “You see his eyes look at the watch. That’s how he knows that he is one of the terrorists.”

The deleted watch-syncing scene is interesting, but I've never questioned how McClane knows Hans is who he is, because John sees Hans through the elevator ceiling after he waxes Tony, right?

Didn't know where else to put this, I just had to talk about it. :lol:

I came across an article online that listed some times directors have admitted they made some cock-ups in their films. One of them was this moment from Die Hard:

The deleted watch-syncing scene is interesting, but I've never questioned how McClane knows Hans is who he is, because John sees Hans through the elevator ceiling after he waxes Tony, right?

Didn't know where else to put this, I just had to talk about it. :lol:
My theory was always that giving a gun to another person who may end up being a terrorist after all would be a bad move on McClane's part, so he figures that giving him an empty gun will be the best way to test and see if this guy is on the level or not.

My theory was always that giving a gun to another person who may end up being a terrorist after all would be a bad move on McClane's part, so he figures that giving him an empty gun will be the best way to test and see if this guy is on the level or not.

Yeah, either that or McClane is astute enough to recognise Hans' voice even through a feigned accent. I mean, it is pretty distinctive.

Started watching the original The Twilight Zone sometime in June, got up to episode 22 of the second series in a matter of weeks but lost interest and never got back into it. Tonight I've decided to try and finish.

Finished watching Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood. Holy crap. The ending is more of a punch to the gut than that of th original series. Brotherhood is slightly longer, about 10 more episodes or so and it is supposed to be a closer adaptation of the Manga. Both series have their merits and their weak points. I love them both. They are both lessons on what it means to be human, attachments, what it means to sacrifice something (in their case quite literally), life and death. I prefer the resolution of Brotherhood over the original series. Though what I like about the original is how tightly knit it is and it is much more about the brothers. Kind of how in Star Wars Episodes IV-VI are about Luke and Episodes I-III are about Anakin (I know they are all really about Ani, don't hate) The original story is about the Elric brothers and to some extent each individual that committed the taboo of human transmutation. Brotherhood is still about them, but the intertwined stories of the people from Xerxes, Xing, other regions of the country, each homonculi and of course... their father. Their father plays a more pivotal role IMO. Highly recommended. Both.

Back