NOW WATCHING

I watched the first one, hated it, skipped the rest. I was tempted to watch the battle of the 5 Armies, but decided against it last minute.

Cary Elwes and Wallace Shawn are in town for Comicon this year, I am very tempted. I'm a huge Cary Elwes fan.

Andre the Giant was amazing in The Princess Bride.

Watched A Quiet Place last night. Basically it's like Bird Box except that instead of not seeing, people aren't allowed to speak this time. Wonder when the films in which they're not allowed to smell , hear or touch are coming out. Yeah, I know this one came before Bird Box, big deal.
Anyway, I liked it better if only because at least we got some idea of what was actually going on from the film. It still didn't explain why something happened, but at least we got to see what was happening. And yes, I do think this helped the tension in the film, at least I was a lot more engaged in it, knowing what was at stake.
For those who don't know, it's about a family dealing with a post-apocalyptic situation in which monsters are roaming the earth which respond to the slightest noise by killing whoever made it. It's a bit of a silly premise if we don't know anything about why this is happening, but at least it's played consistently and focusing on one little element in the grand scheme did help to build tension. INevertheless, there were a few moments that really took me out of the film, and they boiled down to one source:
Terrible parenting. I could at no point build sympathy for the parents, because they consistently made bad choices that run entirely counter-intuitive and gave me the impression that whoever wrote this neither had children of their own, nor ever worked with children. Example: The opening scene in which the kid is snatched away by the monster doesn't work in the real world because it comes entirely intuitive that when there is a group with children, there is one adult who walks in the front, and one in the back. It's seriously a no-brainer, because I did it entirely without thinking every single time I had to watch over kids. There are other such moments, like when the father decided to drop the gun to attract the monster's attention later in the film instead of, I don't know, yelling and, if he is going to sacrifice himself anyway, he could have tried to shoot the monster. Probably wouldn't have worked, but he wouldn't have lost anything by trying. So yeah, the parents were dumb and really failing in their mission, so I couldn't feel sorry for them.
This sounds maybe a bit too harsh because the film wasn't all that bad - the atmosphere was tense and the acting was good - but just think what it could have been had it been written better.

Yeah, they're married in real life. I think their chemistry was really cool. I actually liked the film a lot and I think my appreciation has only grown in the meantime.
The atmosphere was brutal - I remember that we whispered at each other some time after finishing the movie.
Also, the movie is kinda infamous for all the hate talk and nitpicking that swarmed around it, alleged plot holes etc. But most of it is really either nonsense or something you see in most other movies which are not as scrutinized and picked apart.

I have completely quit watching Cinema Sins - it stopped being funny long time ago (I think they'll never make another one like the Basic Instinct one, IMHO), the videos only got longer and more boring, but I actually go and watch its counterpart channel Cinema Wins from time to time and I really liked their take on this one

This and the Fantastic Mr. Fox were really cool. Also, they had some cool SW prequel appreciation.

Two German and one Danish movie on some recent travels

Land of Mine -- Danish movie --- story about young (15-ish) German soldiers made to clear landmines on the Danish coast, really well done film. A lot of suspense (will the mine blow up kind of thing) and a decent look into some post war issues

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Land_of_Mine

The Captain, German movie, based on a true story where a deserter in the final weeks of the war finds a Captain's uniform and forms a squad that goes on a rampage against other deserters

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Captain_(2017_film)

Lives of Others

German Cold War movie about a Stasi agent who forms some sympathy for those he is watching.

All three were quite good

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Lives_of_Others

Remember when I said...

Finally finished series two of The Twilight Zone. Think it's gonna be a while before I get around to watching three...

giphy.gif

I started it last night, two episodes in. Surprisingly it still doesn't feature the iconic intro with the opening door, that doesn't appear until next series.

A discussion that could easily have it's own forum, but did anyone watch the two Leaving Neverland episodes about the new/old accusations about Michael Jackson?

I have completely quit watching Cinema Sins - it stopped being funny long time ago (I think they'll never make another one like the Basic Instinct one, IMHO), the videos only got longer and more boring, but I actually go and watch its counterpart channel Cinema Wins from time to time and I really liked their take on this one

CinemaSins is bullshit. Most of their claims fall apart entirely when you look at them closer.

Also, I like how everybody here just chooses to neglect my problems with the film and quotes outside facts so as to say that I'm objectively wrong. Okay, so the film was written and played by real life parents; my points about bad parenting remain, nobody here addressed them. As I said,

gave me the impression that whoever wrote this neither had children of their own, nor ever worked with children.

"Gave me the impression" does not mean I said that it was so; it means it seemed that way to me. If my impression is wrong, that actually really only says worse things about the writing in my opinion. As I said, I thought the film was okay in general, but it did feel to me that I was watching stupid people deal with the situation. I didn't actually know much about the film before I saw it, I didn't read any reviews or opinions on it until now, so what you're reading is my own opinion, not something influenced by internet haters.

Sorry for the defensive tone, but I felt my points were argued away without actually being addressed.

Last edited:
I didn't say anything because I've never seen the film.

CinemaSins is bullshit. Most of their claims fall apart entirely when you look at them closer.

Also, a lot of the "sins" are actually addressed in the films, makes it look as though they're not even watching them.

Also, a lot of the "sins" are actually addressed in the films, makes it look as though they're not even watching them.

The way it looks to me, they are watching them, but only once, taking notes progressively and not revisiting them later. It's obvious, they need to have quickly produced videos for as many clicks as possible.

I didn't say anything because, while I loved the film, I have only seen it twice quite a while ago, and don't remember stuff as vividly. That being said, I never really got the impression that they were bad parents in an overall sense, I was quite empathic towards them. However, I do agree about leaving the younger child behind in the opening scene. Actually, the opening scene had lots of issues like this one.
For example, they could have easily given the toy without batteries to the kid instead of banning it altogether, and it was just mind numbingly stupid that both of them left the store first and left him alone with the toy and the batteries. He was what, six? It was obvious he was gonna take them back when no one was watching.
I never felt this way again during the rest of the movie though.

Jesus, it's just a dumb movie, calm your jets.

I merely pointed out they are both parents in real life, that was it. I know this was your "impression" but since they are parents & let's assume decent parents too, then your assumption(s) seemed misplaced. It's a drama, this is how they chose to write & portray the relationships. "Unrealistic" would cover it. But it's a movie so this hardly surprising.

Last edited:
People make dumb, unreasonable choices in real life. Such choices aren't any less unrealistic than sound, reasonable ones. Just saying.

Also, I like how everybody here just chooses to neglect my problems with the film...

At least they reply, most of my posts go ignored or unanswered, but after 13 years I'm used to it lol.

I didn't say anything, because I posted about the movie shortly after it came out and had a discussion with the people that had seen it back then, didn't feel like having the same conversation twice about a movie I ultimately don't care about.

Back