NOW WATCHING

BookS :), and yes you should. Think Lois Lowry (The Giver) meets Stephen King... GREAT trilogy. I was going to review them on the now reading thread, but... man I just keep tearing up :(.

The Hunger Games. Likable lead performance, unlikable movie: 2/5. Watch Battle Royale instead.

Read the books instead...

Anyway, saw Cabin in the Woods... FUCKING AWESOME! I went into it as I go into a lot of modern horror movies, highly skeptical and I was surprised at how it exceeded expectations. My hesitation stemmed from the tried and true formula of having a pack of teens/young adults in the middle of nowhere hunted down. Then, judging by the previews it seemed they were in a prefabricated cabin of horrors which just seemed stupid. But once the method to the madness is clear it is actually damn good. I haven't seen a movie that balances humor with sheer terror so well in years. The scary parts are scary and the funny parts are damn funny and when they blend or are juxtaposed it makes for an interesting emotional response. Great payoff, well worth watching.

Read the books instead...

Anyway, saw Cabin in the Woods... FUCKING AWESOME! I went into it as I go into a lot of modern horror movies, highly skeptical and I was surprised at how it exceeded expectations. My hesitation stemmed from the tried and true formula of having a pack of teens/young adults in the middle of nowhere hunted down. Then, judging by the previews it seemed they were in a prefabricated cabin of horrors which just seemed stupid. But once the method to the madness is clear it is actually damn good. I haven't seen a movie that balances humor with sheer terror so well in years. The scary parts are scary and the funny parts are damn funny and when they blend or are juxtaposed it makes for an interesting emotional response. Great payoff, well worth watching.

Don't think I'll bother reading the books. The premise just doesn't appeal to me.

Wasn't Cabin amazing fun? Loved the whiteboard. I noticed "deadites" on there when I went to see it again.

I definitely want to see it again and I'm buying it... few modern movies I find worth purchasing, but this one is definitely going into the collection. Seriously though, the Hunger Games books very much worth the read, think Lord of the Flies, The Giver, Marathon Man and yes... *sigh* Battle Royale (which the author, Suzanne Collins, had no previous knowledge of). I Hate the diservice done by the movie :(.

The Avengers. Stunning effort from Joss Whedon. If you're not into the Iron Man, Thor, Hulk or Captain America flicks you won't be into this. If you haven't seen them but are considering seeing this, SEE THEM. The movie is a remarkable success. 9/10.

Aaaaand seen it. It's an incredible movie, by far the best superhero movie I've seen.

Big spoilers ahead:

Favorite lines:

Thor: He's my brother
Natasha Romanoff: He killed 80 people in 2 days
Thor: ...He's adopted

-

Loki: [Hulk and Loki fighting. Everything stops] I am a God! I am not going to be bullied by a...
[Hulk grabs him by the legs and throws him around]
Loki: [Loki is stunned by what happened and cannot get back up]
The Hulk: [Hulk strutting away] Puny God.

-

Clint Barton: Want to give me a lift?
Tony Stark: Right. Better clench up, Legolas.

(Of course, I copied them from IMDB :D)

Oh it is a fantastic achievement by Mr. Whedon. I absolutely loved it too. Seen it twice already (much preferred it in 2D) going again next week. I'd still put The Dark Knight ahead of it... just :)

I knew someone would mention The Dark Knight :) That's also a fantastic movie, probably better than The Avengers, but I just don't see it as a superhero movie.

I've seen it in 2D, I won't bother with 3D cause it wasn't shot in 3D, but converted. Will also probably see it again.

Yeah that's a fair point about The Dark Knight. He's just a rich engineer/ninja :D But yeah, The Avengers is the best popcorn flick I've seen in YEARS.

A Cabin in the Woods, excellent movie. Classic horror, with a cool plot, and quite funny. One of the better ones of the genre, and just a flat out good movie for any genre

Finished the first (and so far only) season of Homeland.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1796960/

Fantastic show, very interesting and unpredictable story. Also, the two main actors (Damian Lewis and Claire Danes) gave absolutely fantastic performances throughout the whole season. Can't wait for Season 2.

Finally saw The Avengers... fing EPIC! Great movie and finally a decent Hulk. I watched it with my mom and she said, "That's not the Hulk from the 70's, is it?" "No mom, that is not Lou Farigno, that's a CGI Hulk." "A what?" "Computer animated." "Oh... yeah, he looks like an inflatable balloon." LOL. She really liked the movie too though, which surprised me as she hates action/cgi fests of this nature, but the movie had enough humor and drama to hold her interest.

Saw a fun, campy movie called Bandidas. It stars Salma Hayek and Penelope Cruz as...well, las bandidas :p.

Its a real fun, ridiculously bad (in a good way), Western basically. Hayek and Cruz, from very different backgrounds, decide to team up and rob banks when both of their fathers lives are threatened by a sleezball goon sent from an American bank to try and get land for railroads in Mexico. Its fantastic and winds up being a celebration of Mexico of sorts. I loved it, if only for the hotness of Hayek and Cruz.

Back