NOW WATCHING

Yesterday I stayed at home watching Disturbia and it's a good movie to watch.
At the end the main character, Kale (Shia LaBeouf), triumphs over the serial killer Robert Turner (David Morse) by killing him with a pair of shears shortly after rescuing his mother (Carrie-Anne Moss).
During the movie's Spanish lesson part where Ronnie (Aaron Yoo) says quizas (perhaps) my brother misheard the word as 'kiss a--'. :bigsmile:

Disturbia.jpg

Hellboy2-TheGoldenArmy.jpg

Hellboy 2: The Golden Army
The funny thing is when Dr. Broom (John Hurt) reads the story of the Golden Army to the young Hellboy (Montse Ribé) I thought he said 'elephant' when he refers to Elfland, where King Balor rules. :blush:

The Golden Globes.  Avatar had a nice night, though I think the foreign press liked Avatar more than the Oscar voters will, because it showed U.S. soldiers getting slaughtered.  Still, I liked Avatar.  Hurt Locker got shut out of the major categories, but it is probably the best movie I saw this year.  As for the awards show itself, that Ricky Gervais is one funny fucker.  His best line of the evening came just before introducing Mel Gibson who was presenting an award.  He was drinking some beer on stage, and he said:  "I enjoy a drink as much as the next man ... unless the next man is Mel Gibson." 

Avatar didn't show US soldiers getting slaughtered, it showed mercenaries being killed (the ones we had interaction with just happened to be mostly American, if not all American). I guess Ricky Gervais wasn't very well received by the crowd, but I think he's hilarious.

My mom watched them, she said he was hilarious and the crowd responded favorably. I've always considered the Golden Globes as the Oscars Lite. If you get a golden globe chances are you are not getting an oscar. Case in point: Sandra Bullock and Avatar. While Avatar was a pretty movie it was far from "best picture" material. I expect it to run away with all the special effect Oscars, but I will lose even further faith in the political machine that is the Oscars even further if it wins Best Picture. Sandra Bullock best actriz? Since when? At any rate, I didn't see it, but that enough for me to rant on.

LooseCannon said:
Titanic wasn't the best movie of 1997 but yet it won everything.
That was more like the people's choice award in that it won on popularity alone.  Leonardo DiCaprio being the hottest thing in Hollywood at the time didn't hurt the movie either.

I watched 'District 9' relatively recently.  The movie was not what I expected. 
The aliens were not the bad guys; rather the humans were.  I do like the moral, not the physical change, the main character experiences.

I've noticed that Hollywood is popping out misanthropogenic movies like crazy.  One of the reasons I don't see that many anymore.  Also the main reason 'Avatar' never held appeal and have no desire to see.

I actually thought Avatar was pretty impressive, purely from a technical point of view.  Its story was about as sophisticated as a teen novel, but so be it.  

Aside:  Sigourney Weaver was on Saturday Night Live last weekend, and though it was an atrocious episode, whe did have a couple good lines making fun of Avatar, including one comparing it to "Fern Gully," which made me laugh out loud.  

By the way, it would surprise me if Avatar wins the Best Picture Oscar, but it wouldn't surprise me at all if Sandra Bullock wins the Best Actress Oscar.  I'd say she's probably the favorite.  

cornfedhick said:
I actually thought Avatar was pretty impressive, purely from a technical point of view.  Its story was about as sophisticated as a teen novel, but so be it.  

Ironically, the most technical movie in Hollywood history is so anti-technology. 

cornfedhick said:
Aside:  Sigourney Weaver was on Saturday Night Live last weekend, and though it was an atrocious episode, whe did have a couple good lines making fun of Avatar, including one comparing it to "Fern Gully," which made me laugh out loud.  

Parts of that SNL episode, I did see, but not the 'Fern Gully' reference, which was another crazy luddite piece of propaganda.

cornfedhick said:
By the way, it would surprise me if Avatar wins the Best Picture Oscar, but it wouldn't surprise me at all if Sandra Bullock wins the Best Actress Oscar.  I'd say she's probably the favorite.  

Never have I watched any of those and frankly I don't care.  :D

Onhell said:
For what movie is Sandra Bullock going for anyway? I hope it's not All about Steve...

"The Blind Side," which is based on the true story of Michael Oher, a black kid who was essentially living on the streets and whom an upper-class white family took into their home and adopted as their son.  Oher is now a starting offensive tackle on the Baltimore Ravens in the NFL.  As you might have guessed, Bullock portrays the mother, not the offensive tackle. 

OH, I remember seeing the posters for that... ok, I can kinda see that from what I've heard, yes, I am basing my observation purely on hearsay... lay off me!

TenaciousDinthePickofDestiny.jpg

Tenacious D in the Pick of Destiny starring Jack Black and Kyle Gass, both from Tenacious D.
After watching this film, I did not realize that Colin Hanks, Tom's son, made his cameo appearance in which he plays a drunken frat boy. Hanks once co-starred with Black in Orange County back in 2002.
After the Pick of Destiny snapped and turned the open mic host (Paul F. Tompkins) into Satan (Dave Grohl), both Jables (Black) and Kage (Gass) successfully overcame him by sending back to Hell then turned his horn into a 'Bong of Destiny' the next day to smoke marijuana and puffed out green smoke.

Well I watched Sherlock Holmes a couple of weeks back.  I had not expected much,  from the trailer I knew they would probably just make another Van Helsing type of movie,  but I had some hopes since Guy Ritchie was directing it.  Well,  apart from 2 or 3 scenes,  you couldn't tell it was a Guy Ritchie film.  The direction wasn't bad though,  if you exclude a few scenes
seriously,  the one at the pig slaughterhouse almost made me yell in the cinema.  We know they're going to survive just in time.  Really couldn't we have something more original??
.  What really annoyed me was the second half of the film,  the first one I quite enjoyed and got me surprised.  It lacked any element of originality
I liked the "ritual" Holmes performed though
,  it felt as if 10 year olds who after watching Prestige,  Wild Wild West and other films where there's a super modern steam powered machine that the bad guy uses (really?  that's the only thing they could come up with?)...
The acting I felt was solid,  and I really hope the sequel will be better,  but I'm probably not going to the cinema to watch it...

Back