NOW WATCHING

Saw Ocean's 13 a couple hours ago. I never really understood the big fuss over the 'Ocean' series other than that in the films there are gathered a group of quite good actors (Al Pacino in this one was particularily striking). As for what I think of it, its a neat gangster type movie which isn't too exciting because you know the outcome before the movie even starts...but its fun watching 2 hours worth of people being criminals with style... :p

Genghis Khan said:
Recently, I saw 'Pursuit of Happyness'.  (Gotta love the spelling  ::)).  I cringed when I saw the spelling and it was the reason why I held off watching it for so long.  But, the movie was good.  Smith plays a great character with great acting skills; his kid is not bad either.  I was surprized to learn it was based off a true person/story.  No surprize, to highlight Onhell's point above, the movie emphasizes rugged individuality, the drive to succeed, grit and passion, all of which are lauded as great American traits.  I must admit I wanted to see him succeed.  The movie would have been disappointing had he fallen flat on his face.  I have to wonder though, how could a kid put up with all that unstable lifestyle?  Would not the authorities request that the kid go to school on a regular basis?  Unless I missed something, Smith's character cheated on more than his taxes.

Although I haven't seen it, the seemingly incorrect spelling of 'Happiness' has some important connotation in the plot, according to an interview Will Smith did a while ago. *shrugs*

Anyway, the other day I stuck on Black Hawk Down again.  A very good war movie, which doesn't just focus on all-out action sequences with computer graphics and what have-you, but attempts to tell the story of Operation Gothic Serpent in Mogadishu, October (?) 1993 through the eyes of the soldiers who fought through those 12 hours.  If you haven't seen the movie or heard of the event, the premise is this;

The American army (namely, the Rangers, 109th S.O.A.R. and Delta Force) are attempting to restore order in a chaotic, anarchic, famine-ridden Somalia.  The main warlord in control of much of the capital, Mogadishu, is Mohammed Farah Aidid.  An operation to kidnap two of his top men escalates in to a full-blown firefight when road blocks slow up the Humvee convoy escaping the hostile Bakara Market, and a Black Hawk helicopter is shot down in the centre of the city, resulting in a rescue attempt to 'Leave no man behind'.

Although the action can be a little hard to follow sometimes, the pace is fast enough to keep the plot moving, and manages to do a good job of jumping between different groups of soldiers in different places.  The fact that everyone looks much the same when covered in dirt and yelling at the top of their lungs leads to some ironic points of dialogue being lost; for example, one Ranger tells Ewan McGregor's character not to bring back-armour, rationalising that, '...I already have 50lb of equipment to carry.  I don't know about you, but I don't intend getting shot in the back running away'.  He is shot in the back defending the convoy at one of its many stops.

Another thing that makes this movie good (apart from great effects, set and action) is the fact that Orlando Bloom's character falls out of a chopper and spends the rest of the movie unconscious... :D

Natalie said:
Saw Ocean's 13 a couple hours ago. I never really understood the big fuss over the 'Ocean' series other than that in the films there are gathered a group of quite good actors (Al Pacino in this one was particularily striking). As for what I think of it, its a neat gangster type movie which isn't too exciting because you know the outcome before the movie even starts...but its fun watching 2 hours worth of people being criminals with style... :p

The first "Ocean's" was a remake of a... 1960s (?) movie featuring "The Rat Pack" among them Frank Sinatra and other well-known actors of the day. In that since the modern version has brought together Pitt, Clooney, Pacino, (Andy) Garcia, Damon, etc. While the first movie was entertaining I really don't think they should have made sequels.

Raven said:
Although I haven't seen it, the seemingly incorrect spelling of 'Happiness' has some important connotation in the plot, according to an interview Will Smith did a while ago. *shrugs*

This misspelling was mentioned in one part of the movie.  Smith's character takes his son from the daycare place, and says something like "I never understood why it is spelled happyness".  Anyway, I'm sure there is a more logical explanation.

Raven said:
Another thing that makes this movie good (apart from great effects, set and action) is the fact that Orlando Bloom's character falls out of a chopper and spends the rest of the movie unconscious... :D

:lol:  I had forgotten he was in that movie.  This was before his big breakthrough.

I saw Blades of Glory recently. One of those silly American movies best viewed with a group of friends in an empty auditorium in the cinema where you can fool around and make loud comments about whatever. It had some ok moments, but the ending is so cheesy its ridiculous.

Natalie said:
I saw Blades of Glory recently. One of those silly American movies best viewed with a group of friends in an empty auditorium in the cinema where you can fool around and make loud comments about whatever. It had some ok moments, but the ending is so cheesy its ridiculous.

I can't stand Will Ferrel.  Maybe his other movies are funnier than Anchorman, but seriously...not only are the jokes not funny, they're extended over the LONGEST FUCKING TIME possible...it's like Chinese water torture, or being clawed to death by kittens (might not sound like much, but it takes a while...)

I watched a film that was on TV today called Bad Moon, which is about a werewolf. Now, I'm a huge werewolf fan ever since I was a kid, so I decided I'd give this one a shot, even though the tv magazine rating was pretty low (although they're hardly ever spot on).
The film prominently featured a German Shepherd called Thor, which was essentially the main character. I really have to say that the animal training was impressive, and the dog easily stole the show. As for the rest... what a worthless movie! The filmmakers had no sense whatsoever of tension or horror, as they gave the wolf away in the very first scene, and used this ridiculous "prowling monster" perspective over and over... sorry folks, but this has never worked. Not even in Halloween or Friday 13th. Just cut it out. During the "climax", I was just holding my hands on my head, repeating to myself "good Lord... good Lord! Are they serious about this?" Not to mention the absolutely pathetic computer morphed transformation scene... werewolf transformations can be the most scary things ever to hit the silver screen... or they can look really cheap.
This wasn't even cheap. It was totally worthless.

Would you like to expand on that? I mean, what is it about and what did this particular episode entail?

Let me begin by saying that Transformers is the best bloody action movie I have ever seen this year.
Make no mistake about it, director Michael Bay pulled this one of with refinement. Every attention to detail
is beautiful, with top notch roboty animation things. And Ironhide was a bad ass.

The story is particularly engaging and pulls itself at its own pace, considering the movie's way above average length, with
Shia LeBouf getting himself into every piece of trouble imaginable and the appearance of the Autobots. With Area51ish government intrigue,
the film erupts its climax with the crazy wild battle that blew up the city. And everything.

It's got its own sense of humor which may be slightly cliche'd, but it is entertaining, especially with that little Decepticon thing being the center ofattention. And we can't forget the subtle but effective Bumblebee radio timings. And the priceless backyard Autobot scene which is so great
you have to see it for yourself.

Of course there are some flaws, but I see em' as minor, like not that much development in a few of the characters.

Well, can't spoil anything much, but if you want a very great movie for this year, you can't go wrong with Transformers!
You will be entertained.They're HEAVY METAL!

Pros : Flawless animation and cgi effects, entertaining performance from the characters, EXPLOSIONS, engaging story.

Cons: Some underdeveloped characters

And let's not forget the standing ovation that happened the people did at the end of the movie!

I was disappointed by Transformers. The CGI and action scenes were fantastic, and over all the movie is very enjoyable.
However, I didn't like all the human scenes. I couldn't give a rat's ass about Sam and the girl he liked (who was way too hot, if that's possible). In fact, I would of been happy if the Transformers had destroyed all the humans. The movie needed more focus on the Transformers. I don't think it did justice to the coolness of the characters. AND
they killed Jazz, my favourite Autobot. And it wasn't even a decent death. Just a swift one by Megatron.
If I watch this movie again, I'm going to skip all the human scenes and just watch the Transformer scenes...maybe I'm just too much of a die-hard 80s Transformers fan.
300 is a much better action movie IMO.

Reorxx, PLEASE put a spoiler on that! I've been holding off on looking at anything about the movie, as it is my most anticipated release this summer, and some of it has just been ruined. For the sake of anyone else that is looking forward to it, please spoiler it, as it is not fair to give away such a big piece of the plot as that. Sorry if I sound a little short with you, but I am really looking forward it. Thanks.

My girlfriend and I have recently been to a[sub]1[/sub] drive-in theatre in Hamilton, Ontario.  The list was: Ratatouille, Ocean's 13 and the third installment of the Pirates of the Caribbean.  We both wished to see the animated movie.  It was good but not spectacular like Monsters Inc., or Finding Nemo.  The movie is about a rat in a kitchen who can cook, hence the name 'Ratatouille', which is a French food.  The most interesting character was not the rat, Remy or the boy (what's his name?) but the food critic who has no emotion for the majority of the movie.  I won't spoil it.  The plot summary from IMDB is here.  http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0382932/plotsummary

The problem is that the movie started close to 10:30 PM and it should have started at 9:45.  There were technical difficulties.  We craned our heads and watched Evan Almighty for nearly 45 minutes on another big screen until our movie was ready. 

My girlfriend fell asleep after Ratatouille was over and planned for her nap during Ocean's 13.  I can't blame her for wishing to miss this one.  The movie was not clever like the first one or even remotely entertaining like the second one.  There were too many in-jokes between the three big stars (Clooney, Pitt and Damon). 

Unfortunately, by the time Pirates rolled around, the one she really wanted to see, it was 2:30 AM and the movie is 3 hours long.  She wanted to go home and I obliged since I never cared for the 2nd installment.  Oh well, I guess we won't be going to drive-ins any more.  She obviously can't handle the long hours.  :D

Ironically, last time we were at the drive-in, we saw Cars and the 2nd Pirates; the former I liked.

[sub]1[/sub] I should say "the" since there is only one.  This one was almost torn down not long ago, but another company bought it and they've expanded their screens to 3 since last summer.  Good job!

Hunlord said:
Reorxx, PLEASE put a spoiler on that! I've been holding off on looking at anything about the movie, as it is my most anticipated release this summer, and some of it has just been ruined. For the sake of anyone else that is looking forward to it, please spoiler it, as it is not fair to give away such a big piece of the plot as that. Sorry if I sound a little short with you, but I am really looking forward it. Thanks.

Sorry about that Hunlord  :blush: It's really not a big plot give away anyway, but fixed nonetheless.

LooseCannon said:
Snape kills Dumbledore.

Six books, and that's the best she can come up with?  Killing off a Michael Gambon?  Seriously, any credible fantasy author kills of character left, right and centre without batting an eyelid.  Actually, I may just go and see this, to see the looks on the fanboys' faces when they find out *sniff*

Back