NOW WATCHING

Forostar

Ancient Mariner
I loved it. But it was ages ago since I finished the part 3 books (it came out in two parts here). I didn't pick up 4 yet and that's not smart because now I have forgotten quite some things. Maybe I should read on wiki what happened in the first 3 books before continuing with 4.

I heard that book 4 is following a different pattern, right? Not switching from character to character?

Would you explain, thanks in advance!
 

chaosapiant

Ancient Marinade
Forostar said:
I loved it. But it was ages ago since I finished the part 3 books (it came out in two parts here). I didn't pick up 4 yet and that's not smart because now I have forgotten quite some things. Maybe I should read on wiki what happened in the first 3 books before continuing with 4.

I heard that book 4 is following a different pattern, right? Not switching from character to character?

Would you explain, thanks in advance!

Book 4 is the same format, but is missing a lot of characters.  The 5th book, "A Dance with Dragons" has the other half, and occurs parallel to the story in book 4.  Basically, the book got too big, had to be split, and now the second half is coming out...after 5 years.  Book 5 is longer though, and the last 3-4oo pages act as a "sequel" of sorts to the storylines in both books, hope that makes sense.  For a breakdown, book 4 had:  Brienna, Jaime, Cersei, and Samwell, with a few other POVs thrown in.  Book 5 will run parallel with Jon, Danaerys, Tyrion, and other characters.  Whew....I hope that helps!
 

LooseCannon

Enterprise-class aircraft carrier
Staff member
I hope he is getting ready to bring things to an end soon...this is getting quite Wheel of Time-y.
 

chaosapiant

Ancient Marinade
LooseCannon said:
I hope he is getting ready to bring things to an end soon...this is getting quite Wheel of Time-y.

I agree.  There are only seven books planned.  Granted, i'd enjoy more books in this series, it's not one I want to end.  Also, due to certain "events" in book 5, it became extrememly difficult for him to write.  If and when you finish books 1-4, the difficulties will be apparent. 
 

Forostar

Ancient Mariner
Thanks for the explanation chaos, I am not sure if this will make it easier... 2 books after eachother, with the same time periods. I can't judge yet, but I think I prefer the "old method".

@LC: The big difference with Martin is that he is way slower... so hopefully he comes up with something better than Jordan did. ;-)

I heard Martin was even forced to hurry up, by his publisher. So I hope there's no lack of motivation or inspiration.
 

chaosapiant

Ancient Marinade
Forostar said:
Thanks for the explanation chaos, I am not sure if this will make it easier... 2 books after eachother, with the same time periods. I can't judge yet, but I think I prefer the "old method".

@LC: The big difference with Martin is that he is way slower... so hopefully he comes up with something better than Jordan did. ;-)

I heard Martin was even forced to hurry up, by his publisher. So I hope there's no lack of motivation or inspiration.

The book makes a lot more sense when you read it, plus Martin has an explanation better worded than mine in the back of Feast.  Either way....best books EVAR!
 

snake plissken

Ancient Mariner
THOR. Fair play to Kenneth Brannagh, he did a great job directing this. I'm not into comics at all but I gotta say, this was so much fun. I laughed a lot and I enjoyed the characters (particularly the T-Hop as Odin  ). Saw it in 2D and can't imagine how 3D would do anything but ruin the excellent look of the picture. 4/5.
 

Onhell

Infinite Dreamer
I saw The Conspirator and Hanna this weekend. The Conspirator was a decent movie. Not great, not horrible... just Meh. Justin Long seemed out of place in it, but the rest of the cast was decent. Essentially the story of the trail of the alledged assassination conspirators of President Lincoln. The focus falls on Mary Surrat, the mother of the supposed friend of J.W.B, John Surrat, because the clandestine meetings occurred at her boarding house. In short the story is Machiavellian zeal by the government vs. the "sanctity" of the constitution.

Hanna was a surprisingly good movie. I was expecting a lot of mindless action (the reason I wanted to see it) and instead got a mid-paced movie with the ocassional burst of action. The movie is heavily influenced by The Matrix IMO as far as the soundtrack and action sequences go (no bullet time, thank god). Surprisingly rated PG-13 it follows Hanna, a girl raised by her father in the forest. Turns out "papa" is ex-CIA and has trained his daughter as an ultimate assassin.

Turns out Hanna was part of a "super soldier" experiment which got "canceled" and she is the last one left because her "father" Erik, protected her from the CIA agent, Kate Blanchet, sent to terminate every specimen. The rest of the movie is both Erik and Hanna running from Blanchet who is the ONLY CIA agent who still gives a shit about this program and wants to finish what she started. We follow Hanna as she goes from essentially a home-schooled/feral child to experiancing the world all the while killing spies and assassins sent to do her in.

again, surprisingly good film.
 
I watched Blade Runner a few days ago. Very interesting. I didn't care much for Harrison Ford's Deckard, but Rutger Hauer was cool as Roy Batty. I'm still looking up as many websites as possible with regards to the themes and symbolism of the movie, but it should be an interesting sight even on a less deep level.
 

Onhell

Infinite Dreamer
I fell asleep during that movie and am yet to see it all the way through... isn't it based on a book?
 

Shadow

Deluxe Edition
Staff member
It's very loosely based on Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? by Philip K. Dick. Great book, great movie, but not at all similar.
 

Mosh

Winner of the 2020 Dumbest Comment Ever Award
Staff member
Wait, then what is the book "Blade Runner" based on?
 

snake plissken

Ancient Mariner
Insidious: Problem with these movies is we've seen it all before. So it's down to the film makers to try and present old scares and ideas in new ways. Insidious excels at this....until the last 20 minutes which is really poor stuff. Still, it deserves credit because for 70 mins I was bricking it 7/10.
 

Onhell

Infinite Dreamer
snake plissken said:
Insidious: Problem with these movies is we've seen it all before. So it's down to the film makers to try and present old scares and ideas in new ways. Insidious excels at this....until the last 20 minutes which is really poor stuff. Still, it deserves credit because for 70 mins I was bricking it 7/10.

I liked how it ended. The execution might have felt flat

Not showing HOW the kid was able to out run the demon to his body

but it made sense as you don't know what to expect once they both wake up. You know it isn't all honkey dory given the type of movie, but it does leave you guessing till the very end. But I agree, the last 20 mins could have been condensed a bit.
 

bearfan

Ancient Mariner
On the TV side.  Parks and Recreation has been incredibly funny this year.  The last few episodes were as funny as TV gets.
 

bearfan

Ancient Mariner
Season finale of Fringe last night was really cool.  This show has been outstandign the past 2 1/2 years (it was good before that, but they really took it up a notch).
 

snake plissken

Ancient Mariner
Hobo With A Shotgun. Never really been a fan of "exploitation" films. Still, the cinema was fucking packed for this and there was a genuine sense of fun in the air. Rutger Hauer plays a vigilante hobo. It's extremely graphic and sporadically funny. Best thing about it, Hauer is actually really good and kind of sympathetic. Worst thing about it, you get numb to the violence and ultimately it ends up kinda boring. 2/5.
 

Night Prowler

Customer Deathcycle Manager
Staff member
Saw Iron Man 2 yesterday. It's good but the first part was better.

Current standings: Iron Man > The Incredible Hulk > Thor > Iron Man 2

Now I wait for Captain America - The First Avenger and, of course, The Avengers, which I expect to be the greatest superhero movie ever.
 
Top