NOW WATCHING

Just checked... nothing. Last message I have is from LC, Sept. 25th of last year, before that from Wasted Sept. 14, 2011 and before that again from LC Sept. 13th, 2011....

I don’t see the issues people have with CinemaSins. If they were supposed to be actual critics, then sure, but a lot of what they do is rooted in comedy with a dab of honesty here and there.

Oh right, I forgot that this forum was the one that put a tax on funniness.

I just don't think they're that funny anymore, and there's a pretty strong critique in film theory circles that "nitpick approach" harms the way cinema is consumed.

I think people looking at them and treating them as actual critics is more of the issue, rather than they themselves being the “bad guys” here. As to whether they’re still funny, that’s obviously open to interpretation. I enjoy CS but I take 95% of what they say with a pinch of salt.

Last edited:
My issue isn't taking them too seriously, it's just that I don't find them funny anymore either. Plus their videos became way too bloated, 15 - 20 minutes of this guy blabbering on was more than I could take.

The Quiet Place discussion got me curious, so I watched the scene you're talking about. I also agree with Perun, pretty obvious that no parent would do that in that situation.

Now I'm a week behind with TWD and don't know that I can be bothered to catch up. Last week's was decent, which probably means this week's will be back to boring.

Surprisingly, both this week's and last week's episodes were pretty good. Congratulations TWD, you've managed to hold my interest for another week.

We just finished Network (1976). I had already known it was going to be kinda prescient and very cynical, but it was so fucking bleak it kinda threw me off balance, honestly.

People make dumb, unreasonable choices in real life. Such choices aren't any less unrealistic than sound, reasonable ones. Just saying.
People do make dumb things in real life, and very often the consequences are terrible. As they were in Quiet Place. Still, I completely agree with Perun - letting the child walk alone at the back of the line was dumb and extremely costly. It's not only reckless, but it's also extremely counter-intuitive and everyone who has experiences with young children will agree. It's a parental instinct not only to keep your eyes on the child at all times, but very often even to make physical contact too, especially in unfamiliar/dangerous surroundings: holding its hand, placing an arm around its shoulders, holding its hood even. So yes, they were portrayed as bad parents in the film and their behaviour was very unrealistic. Whether they are bad/good parents in real life is absolutely irrelevant to that point.

I don’t see the issues people have with CinemaSins. If they were supposed to be actual critics, then sure, but a lot of what they do is rooted in comedy with a dab of honesty here and there.

Oh right, I forgot that this forum was the one that put a tax on funniness.

It's not the forum, it's just me. :P

But I can't agree with you. It's not just a harmless comedy site, because a lot of people are taking it for legit criticism, and it influences the way they perceive films. There actually is a very detailed set of videos on this which discusses this point far better than I ever could.

There are a lot more videos on this subject on the channel, and I have to admit they're quite interesting and insightful.

I didn't say anything because, while I loved the film, I have only seen it twice quite a while ago, and don't remember stuff as vividly. That being said, I never really got the impression that they were bad parents in an overall sense, I was quite empathic towards them. However, I do agree about leaving the younger child behind in the opening scene. Actually, the opening scene had lots of issues like this one.
For example, they could have easily given the toy without batteries to the kid instead of banning it altogether, and it was just mind numbingly stupid that both of them left the store first and left him alone with the toy and the batteries. He was what, six? It was obvious he was gonna take them back when no one was watching.
I never felt this way again during the rest of the movie though.

Agree with you on this point, it didn't make sense to me when it happened.
Maybe I'm overly critical of the kids aspect because I occasionally work as an educator and am responsible for looking over groups of children in an environment foreign to them; but the part about walking behind them came to me intuitively the very first time I did this, when I was 19 years old. I watched the film together with my gf, who has a kid herself, and we had a long conversation about this following the scene.
The problem for me is that this happened in the very first scene of the film and it sort of prevented me from immersing in it. All along the film, I just kept thinking to myself that I'm watching a family headed by a pair of irresponsible parents who get their kids killed.

It's not the forum, it's just me. :p

But I can't agree with you. It's not just a harmless comedy site, because a lot of people are taking it for legit criticism, and it influences the way they perceive films. There actually is a very detailed set of videos on this which discusses this point far better than I ever could.

There are a lot more videos on this subject on the channel, and I have to admit they're quite interesting and insightful.
Yeah, I’ve seen that video before. I get it, I just don’t quite agree with it (although like I said, people taking it as actual criticism is a legitimate issue).

We just finished Network (1976). I had already known it was going to be kinda prescient and very cynical, but it was so fucking bleak it kinda threw me off balance, honestly.

OMFG! I LOVE that movie! When the Executive gives him that speech in the boardroom about how there aren't any "people" or "nations," but only At&T and BP and so on and so fourth, the prediction in the rise of reality TV and of course his own rants and monologues (I AM MAD AS HELL AND I'M NOT GOING TO TAKE IT ANYMORE!) are great. LOVE LOVE LOVE this movie. Along with Rollerball, one of the best 70s movies.

...and I've lost interest in TWD again. More damn time jumps and I haven't got a clue what was going on. Some of it was pretty tough to watch, though.

Also, "skin jobs" was a term used to refer to Terminators. I liked that little reference.

Back