NOW WATCHING

My girlfriend checked out It and we read the first three pages over lunch. She convinced me to watch the 1990 film, so I did. It’s... I dunno. Some parts are great, others, not so much. It’s a bit bloated but keeps up the interest, but there are some weird plot pieces throughout that I don’t really care for. At its heart it’s a story about the power of friendship, and I loved the dynamic of the kids, but as they become adults I think it loses a bit of touch with reality. I’d probably give it a 68% right now.

Finished the series of Sor Juana. Not bad. It sucks I don't more about it as a Mexican, but I'm definitely going to start looking up some bios to verify how much drama went into the series.

About to finish Historia de un Crimen: Colosio. The Mexican JFK and that is no exaggeration. Sure the PRI had rigged elections and it was a forgone conclusion he was going to win, but the funny thing is... people ACTUALLY LOVED him. He killed himself by critizicing his own party. It is a known secret that the party assassinated him. The show relates as to who was the most likely culprit, the cover-up, etc. I'm asking my dad A LOT of questions when I'm done. He was appointed chief of security for Zedillo, the substitute. He knew/knows all the players involved to some degree. I'm sure there is stuff he can't tell me, but I'd like to know his thoughts on the event 25 years later and the accuracy of the show. Another set of bios I'd like to pick up. I lived this, but never studied it.

Got around to watching What happened to Monday. Really good Netflix movie. A tad predictable, but still very much worth the watch. It wastes no time in going up to 11 lol. What I liked is that it is a Eurpeancentric dystopian future. Sure we have 28 days later and Children of Men, but overall most take place in the U.S or the U.S as the problem solver. Like many dystopias, overpopulation, repressive government, a miracle solution with a catch... good shit.

Okay, the 2017 version of It was pretty damn awesome. My biggest reservation going in was the cast, because I loved the chemistry of the kids from the original, but these guys have it nailed down too. It’s a scary film that pulls no punches and hardly veers into a comedic tone like its predecessor, and that helps it also work better as a film overall. This is proof that sometimes remakes top the originals. I’d give it an 87 because it’s not quite perfect but damn it’s pretty good. I’m hyped for the follow-up.

The opening scene scarred me a little bit. Weren't children supposed to be off limits in movies? If anything, I thought Georgie's death would happen off-screen.

You think so? I thought it was too funny to be scary, outside of the opening scene, at least.
There were a couple silly bits and if I was the director / writer I’d have done some things differently, but I really did like it.

The opening scene scarred me a little bit. Weren't children supposed to be off limits in movies? If anything, I thought Georgie's death would happen off-screen.

It, you mean? Yeah, the beginning is pretty brutal, in the book and in the adaptations alike. This Ain't the Summer of Love, man...
The book makes it altogether bleaker, though - also, it has this expansion of the Patrick Hockstetter character that's both utterly unfilmable and also it scars your soul forever. On the other hand, it's really cool how the new adaptation manages to capture the "feel-good" children era that was always one of the main pulls of the book. Still, the movie's quite fine, but the book is rich and excellent.

I meant exclusively in film, actually. You can do whatever you want in books, but when things get visual it's just not that simple. That's why you rarely see child violence in mainstream movies. I hadn't seen it in a while, and It was the first movie I've seen in theaters that featured on-screen child violence.

Last year's Hereditary comes to mind, also Shutter Island (though I guess you could argue that both are kinda off-screen), but you're right that it's not that common indeed.

There were a couple silly bits and if I was the director / writer I’d have done some things differently, but I really did like it.

I liked it too, very much, but as somebody who is very easily scared, I was quite surprised at how little I was actually scared of it. I'd really like to read to book to see how much straighter it's played, both the film and miniseries felt as though they were holding back, probably because it's children involved, as mentioned.

I liked it too, very much, but as somebody who is very easily scared, I was quite surprised at how little I was actually scared of it. I'd really like to read to book to see how much straighter it's played, both the film and miniseries felt as though they were holding back, probably because it's children involved, as mentioned.
Yeah it's not the scariest thing ever, by any means (although the way they played with darkness to their advantage helped beef up the thrills), but it's definitely scarier than the miniseries. I'll see what my gf thinks of the book so far on Monday, because I feel the same as you. It's considered perhaps the best horror novel ever and I'm interested in seeing how well that holds up. It's by far the most requested book at my school's library and took her since September to finally check out. :D

Back