NOW WATCHING

Finished watching Fargo, the TV show (and also saw the movie before the show):

So I didn't care about the movie too much. It was good, but not great compared to the show. Altho I kinda like it more in retrospect after getting into the show.

I liked S1 more because I was more invested in the main characters' well-being. Molly, Gus and Lou were so likeable. Hell, I even rooted for Lester a bit before he went to the bar after getting that award in episode 8. S1 also had way more shocking moments than S2, however the characters' behaviour was way more frustrating.

S2: Main problem was that we knew the main guy won't die which made any dangerous scenes involving him less dangerous. While all the villainious characters were solid, none of them were as good as Malvo. Probably the best episode of the show was episode 8 with the interaction between Dodd and Peggy. That was hilarious. I didn't even mind the alien subplot which was very unexpected for a show like this, but I thought that the resolution of Hanzee's plot was kinda ridiculous (apparently he gets a plastic surgery and becomes that fat white guy who gets killed by Malvo in S1).

Btw. music in both seasons is awesome. Both the score (genius main theme + music during tense scenes) and soundtrack songs. Showrunner is same guy who did Legion and you can see numerous similarities between shows that showcase his style. Both shows have slow-motion action scenes where you can only hear the music but not the action itself, for example. Also lots of actors appear in both shows.

Last edited:
I saw the movie some weeks back. Very good and weird at the same time. Loved the way the police officer did her research. Her character brought a fun balance to the film with on the other hand the dumb choices of the naive and stubborn main character leading eventually to horrible problems. Quite a unique film, the accents surely contributed to the vibe.

Major film releases for next year:

January - Croods II

February- Black Panther
Pacific Rim: Uprising

March - Wreck It Ralph II

April - New Mutants

May – Avengers Infinity War
Star Wars: Han Solo

June – Jurassic World II
How To Train Your Dragon III
Bumblebee (Transformers film)
Incredibles II
Deadpool II

July – Ant Man and the Wasp
Mission: Impossible 6
Hotel Transylvania 3

October - Venom

November - Fantastic Beasts II
X-Men: Dark Phoenix

December - Spider-Man (animated Miles Morales)
Aquaman

I hope Wreck It Ralph features more hopping between various video game worlds. I liked the first movie but thought it spent too much time in the candy world.

Finished Bates Motel, Series finale was last night.

I thought this show was a stupid idea when it was announced, but based on some good reviews (including here), I gave it a shot and am glad I did. The first two seasons were solid enough, but 3,4,5 were just incredibly good. I'll give it a rewatch at some point, maybe the first 2 seasons will be better to me knowing how the series progressed.

The casting was a huge help, the main characters were really perfect for the roles and did a great job on the show. Norman Bates is just an ingrained character, Highmore really nailed it without being a parody of Perkins. I look forward to seeing him in other things.

Live action? Saw that at the pictures. Except for the horribly processed singing voice of Emma Watson I think it was alright. (Would have taken a shaky but genuine performance over that any day...) My girlfriend went back to see it again, so I guess it was more than alright though. :p

This looks really good:

Cool, I had no idea they had filmed it. The book is amazing, so I'm hoping they have done a good job out of it.
So I've seen the first 3 episodes. They released those all at once and the remaining seven will be released once per week. I haven't read the book btw.

Fucking. Hell. This story is a nightmare worse than most horror movies.

First of all, the show is pretty unique. The way the women are dressed would make you think it's a period drama but the cars and modern architecture and guys with machine guns give it away. Makes you feel like it could happen anywhere. Music also takes you away from the period drama feel, very tastefully done.

Cinematography is perfect. They clearly don't have a large budget but they are using it wisely. Obviously color red dominates everything.

Acting is top notch. Everyone is killing it. Alexis Bledel in that 3rd ep didn't utter a single word, but has to get at least some Golden Globe nominations. I mean, Elizabeth Moss is probably more in focus but Bledel is just as good.

Standout scenes: gang kill of the rapist dude, most awkward sex scenes in history of TV, Ofglen's girlfriend's hanging (chilled to the bone, fucking hell).

Honestly one episode per week is more than enough... Way too much suffering.

Read the spoilers, glad the series has managed to convey the power of the story. The book is a slap in the face, at the very least. I hope I'll find the time to watch soon.

Sounds like a terrible thing to watch or even read. Subject and product sound too graphic/terrifying for my taste.

EDIT: My wife read the book two years ago. Said it was very interesting and exciting!

Last edited:
Game Of Thrones did worse things, but The Handmaid's Tale is set in a world closely resembling ours so that's why the events in the show are even more dreadful.

I managed to catch up with the three episodes today. It's all very well done, I'm pleased.
There are some developments in the series that are not in the book, but that doesn't bother me at all.

Watched The Imitation Game (2014).

Not very impressed and very disappointed with this. I'm no expert on Turing, but this follows "Biopic template 1a" to the point where it's just ridiculous. And the big climax of the film... Sorry, but it made Turing and his fellow codebreakers look like complete idiots, because anyone remotely intelligent should have thought of that from the start. (This is criticisms from before I actually fact checked - it gets about a million times worse from that.)

Last edited:
Started watching 13 Reasons Why, mostly because if school principals are banning a TV series, that is a great reason to watch it. A very mature and aggressively dark drama that is well acted, if not always the best-directed (a couple episodes have jarring directoral shifts and odd rhythm, which seems to indicate poor directoral choices). Your kids shouldn't watch this if they are 10; if they are 15, you should talk to them about it.

Currently catching up on Homeland. Seen first 2 seasons years ago and forgot most of the stuff so I'm rewatching before I delve into the stuff I haven't seen. I have 3 episodes left in S2.

Chris Brody has got to be the most clueless and useless character ever. Was there ever really a point to Brody having 2 kids? I think the show could've gone exactly the same way if he never existed and Dana was an only child.

Back