NOW WATCHING

SPOILERS! Just kidding, I knew he was gone (can't avoid spoilers forever), just don't get into details how/when etc.

Anyway, saw Interstellar. I have to think it through to decide on my opinion... definitely worth seeing though.

Speaking of Lewis, saw he will be in this mini series in 2015
To Appomattox
http://www.toappomattox.com/

TO APPOMATTOX follows Grant's ascent from military disgrace and family destitution to leading the greatest army ever assembled on this continent.
From West Point--where friends become our future "Band of Generals"--to the burning gates of Mexico City; from the corridors of Lincoln's War Department and the intimacy of the bedroom; to gore-filled trenches of horrific slaughter; where friendships dissolve into hatred; enemies find grace in forgiveness.

Impressions from movie night yesterday:

Mean Girls - People quoted this one way too much and I had to see it despite it being a girl movie. It's pretty good. Lindsay Lohan was so pretty, such a shame that she destroyed herself with drugs. Also, mindblowing moment for me: the Burn Book. Girls in my high school made the exact same thing and I only just found out where they got the idea from. Even though their book was far more elaborate and evil than the one in the movie: they even followed classmates around town and took notes, plus they filled 3 books of that stuff. It ended similarly to the movie: a guy stole it, gave it to a teacher who read everything (and they wrote about the teacher too), she was pissed but she gave them back the book when school finished (since it happened in last month of high school). Sadly, there wasn't a big fight in the hallways between everyone :p

Let's Be Cops - fun mindless comedy, nothing else.

The Amazing Spider-Man 2 - fun movie. Didn't really expect much, so I was pleasantly surprised. The action scenes were a bit... video-gamey, but I didn't mind it since it's CBM.
I didn't feel like there were too many villains - Rhino only appeared at the beginning and the end, and Green Goblin only appeared for 5 minutes at the end, so that only leaves Electro. He was a good villain btw. Also, Gwen Stacy's death was well done :( The only downside is that my copy of the movie just had to have a glitch right at the moment when Peter drops her, and the whole scene had no sound <_<

Mean Girls is a classic.

I was hoping for something better out of Let's Be Cops as I think both those actors are quite funny, but it was a real letdown.

ASM2 was...another Spider-Man movie. It had some good bits, it had way too much cartoony action, and I think Jamie Foxx (either the actor or the character of Electro) was purely terrible. I'd be very happy going 10+ years without another Spider-Man movie.

I'm just getting into this season of Top Chef. So addictive.

Have not seen it yet, but this looks interesting .. a theater semi-near us is showing it in early December. Going to try to go see it.

Diplomacy (French: Diplomatie) is a 2014 Franco-German historical drama film directed by Volker Schlöndorff and adapted from the play Diplomatie by Cyril Gely.[2] The film premiered at the 64th Berlin International Film Festival on 12 February 2014.[3] It was also screened at the Telluride Film Festival in August 2014.[4]

At the end of WWII, during the Liberation of Paris, Adolf Hitler decides to erase the most famous constructions of Paris while the city is still under control of his Wehrmacht. The Eiffel Tower, the Louvre, the Place de la Concorde, the Notre Dame and other places are already meticulously prepared to become wasteland. This all is overseen by German generalDietrich von Choltitz who has his headquarters at the Hotel Meurice. OnAugust 241944 the general is supposed to give the order to go through with everything as planned. But before he does, the SwedishdiplomatRaoul Nordling sneaks through a secret passageway into the German general's office and confronts him. His aim is to stall him until the Allies save Paris or even to convince the old soldier to disobey.

It's NB-fucking-C, what do you expect? Bunch of scumbags. This is as good as it gets, Community didn't even get this.

It makes economic sense: they have the final season of a show that gets mediocre ratings already in the can, why not get it over with? At least they're still giving it to us and airing everything! Yay for more Parks and Rec!

It makes economic sense: they have the final season of a show that gets mediocre ratings already in the can, why not get it over with? At least they're still giving it to us and airing everything! Yay for more Parks and Rec!

I don't live in the States so I'm not sure about the effects of stuff like this, but cancellation (Community) and rushing (Parks) of shows with dedicated fan bases should give them bad publicity.

I just started the first season of Parks and Rec.

Stay strong. The first season (and parts of the second) is not very good, they were still figuring out the tone and rhythm of the show. It gets amazing, though.

I don't live in the States so I'm not sure about the effects of stuff like this, but cancellation (Community) and rushing (Parks) of shows with dedicated fan bases should give them bad publicity.

Well, the thing is, neither of those shows have great ratings. Parks and Rec has always a solid fanbase that delivers an average (though not very good based on its timeslot/lead-in/etc.) rating. Community never had great ratings and they got worse and worse as the seasons went on. Advertisers don't want to pay for a show that is getting bad ratings. And a show that has 2-3 million viewers that is on at the same time as a show that gets 20 million viewers (Big Bang Theory, American Idol or CSI in their hey-day), is deemed as not cost-effective.

Every year that a show continues, it gets more expensive. If cast and crew rates go up, but the ratings stay the same or go down, then the show is a failure. From a business standpoint, it makes more sense to cut their losses, cancel the show, and spend half as much on a new show. Community got lucky and was able to put blatant ads into their show thanks to Subway (just like Chuck had done previously). They probably would have been cancelled a year or two ago if it wasn't for Subway. Parks and Rec has always done quite well with critics and helped to anchor other shows, even though its ratings weren't spectacular. After so many years on the air without obvious audience growth, Parks and Rec is no longer economical for the network.

Granted, the entire ratings system has been utterly flawed since the advent of DVR, On Demand, and digital streaming. Hell, in a way, the ratings system has been outdated since programmable VCR recording, but for some reason, the networks still worship it.

I didn't argue with you on the economical side of things Knick, don't know why you went that way. I know those shows don't generate good ratings. But when you have shows with lower economical value but with dedicated fanbases, you don't brush those shows aside just because they don't make enough money for you. It should give the channel bad publicity. There have been many occasions where a channel takes one for the fans and keep the shows on air despite the economical shortcomings. One that comes to my mind is Fringe and Fox. Fringe kept on being a negative for Fox because of its terrible ratings and high cost. But it became a cult show and had a dedicated fanbase and Fox picked up the show for a final season instead of cancelling it, or rushing the end.

From what I've heard, NBC are already notorious of not giving a shit about the fans so looks like it does indeed give them bad publicity.

This is so confusing... And fuck Jai Cortney, how he gets so many roles in big movies is a mystery considering how much of a bad actor he is.

Back