NOW READING

[!--QuoteBegin-LooseCannon+Sep 1 2004, 09:19 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(LooseCannon @ Sep 1 2004, 09:19 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]Bruce Dickinson - King in Crimson
[snapback]85359[/snapback]​
[/quote]

Do you mean that you're reading the lyrics or did you just post in the wrong forum ?

or did you think that he might have wrote that book. After all, Bruce is multi-talented [!--emo&:rolleyes:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/rolleyes.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'rolleyes.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

Erm. I did. ~checks time~

Holy shit, I did that in the afternoon. No excuse for LC today!

Well, finished Speaker for the Dead (like 3 days ago). These books are soooo good, once I start I dont put them down for over an hour or two, not until I finish them. My mom's boyfriend just bought me the next book in the series, Xenocide! I cant wait to start this one! [!--emo&:D--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/biggrin.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'biggrin.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

Well, I'm almost done with Andreas Capellanus' The Art of Courtly Love. It is a Middle Age text originally Written in Latin, and i think the first translation was into French (not sure). Anywho, Capellanus explains how a man from the middle class can woo a woman of the Middle class, Simple Nobility and High Nobility Acordingly, then does the same with a man of the Simple and High Nobility. He does it in a series of dialogues. After he tells you how to acquire Love from a lady, he then talks about the Love of the Clergy, Nuns and Prostitutes, How love and be increased once you've attained it and how it can degenerate. I had to read it for a class but it was still a Good read and Highly Recommended. The Academic English was easier to read than most of the pop-lit of today!

Jack Higgins - Sheba

This was far too short a book, with a dithering storyline interspersed with some half-interesting action sequences.

I expect better of Higgins because I have read so many of his novels, but this was really pathetic.

The storyline is about a Nazi plan to blow up the Suez Canal - I'm not clear on how it was to be carried out except it involved mines... Despite this being the main storyline... It wasn't [!--emo&:blink:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/blink.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'blink.gif\' /][!--endemo--]. Instead it was some rubbish about a man chasing the woman he loved (but he didn't really, he'd just kissed her once).

It was set in Egypt's 'Empty Quarter', where no man should dare go! [!--emo&:p--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/tongue.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'tongue.gif\' /][!--endemo--] In the middle of it was (aparently) the Queen of Sheba's temple. This rather baffled me. Then theres a lot of shooting and people dying in the desert, and then, of course, the good guys get rescued and kill all the bad guys....

Typical..! [!--emo&:angry:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/mad.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'mad.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

I'm now reading Angel of Death by Higgins, hopefully that'll be better.

[!--QuoteBegin-Shadow+Aug 23 2004, 08:04 AM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Shadow @ Aug 23 2004, 08:04 AM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]I re-read The Silmarillion ... lately ...
[snapback]84258[/snapback]​
[/quote]
I'm also re-reading The Silmarillion...while listening to Blind Guardian's Nightfall In Middle-Earth of course.

Well I just finished The Sinner by Tess Gerritssen. It's an ok book. It starts with a murder at a convent where a young, pretty nun gets beaten over the head and an older nun gets beaten as well. The older nun survives and is hospitalized. At the same time they find the body of a woman with Hansen's disease (leprosy) in this abandoned where house without her face, hands and feet. The reason for peeling off her face and her cutting her hands and feet was to hide the fact that she had leprosy. In the autopsy of the young nun it is revealed that she had recently given birth. They found her baby buried in the pond behind the convent and he was born dead, with half a brain and incomplete skull and his face was like pushed in... it is later revealed that the child was a product of incests, The girl had been abused by her father many years and that is why she became a nun, to fight the impurity she felt from the abuse and to run from her father. The FBI is called in becaue they found a body in the trunk of a car that had crossed state lines (making it a federal crime) and it turns out that they are ALL connected POM POM POM!!!!! AS it turns out, the guy in the trunk worked for Octagon Chemicals that had a plant in a mile from Bara India, Bara was a Leper colony of 100 inhabitants where the older nun worked. Turns out one night the nun leaves for supplies to the nearest city and when she comes back she finds the village in shambles, bodies burnt, even chickens and goats. Turns out the Chemical plant had a little accident and a cloud of poisonous chemicals engulfed the village in the valley below killing everything, The nun was a witness to a few survivors (remember the lady with no hands and feet?) she returns to the U.S and her convent, later (a year later) the person doing the cover ups goes to the convent to kill her, the young nun sees a light in the chapel and from curiousity goes to see what it is and BAM, gets killed too! Then the leper gets offed as well, the guy in the trunk, the old nun and the no hands lady were all wittnesses to the atrosotiy comitted by the killer. The resident doctor at octagon chemicals that had ordered the bodies burnt to make it look like a terrorist attack rahter than an industrial accident but he burnt a few bodies that weren't dead yet... OH OH hahahaha. Of course the perp gets caught and they all live and die happily ever after. Again... an ok bood to pass the time.

I'm currently reading "El Gran Pueblo" by...MacLachlan and Beezley. It's a history of Greater Mexico from 1810 - present day. Greater Mexico, by the way, includes California, Arizona, Colorado, Texas, etc...

It's for a course, but I find it fascinating, the way Mexico has shaped over 200 years. If you're at all interested in that country, it's a great way to delve into their history. It is a text book, but Mexicans like to kill each other, and Americans, and French, so...

One should read it even if they are not ineterested in Mexico, it at least explains Some Mexicans still feel the southern states of the US their home. The ever popular "We didn't cross the border, the border crossed us" hehe

All things considered, the US *did* conquer about 1/3rd of their continental landmass from Mexico, so...

you mean they did "conquer" as most of it was bought like the Luisiana Territory, Florida and Native American Lands, actually very little was military conquest. Texas was handed over as a bargain for sparing Santa Anna's Life (fucking pussy) but it wasn't haned over to the U.S, it was handed over to Sam Houston and other Texas Sepratists, not until year later did they became a state.

Finished Dune:Heretics and all I can say is WOW! Great book. Absolutely great. I'm now reading a book called THe mystery on Mars, The Sphynx by Graham Hancock...seems pretty good...

Im reading The Crucible for school which to my suprise is a good book I though it was going to be another one of the boring school books that you are assigned to read.But also in my free time I just started reading Iron Maiden : Running Free.

The Crucible kicked ass! among my favorite school related readings (my fave being The Catcher in the Rye [!--emo&:D--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/biggrin.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'biggrin.gif\' /][!--endemo--])

[!--QuoteBegin-Onhell+Oct 6 2004, 09:34 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Onhell @ Oct 6 2004, 09:34 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]The Crucible kicked ass! among my favorite school related readings (my fave being The Catcher in the Rye [!--emo&:D--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/biggrin.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'biggrin.gif\' /][!--endemo--])
[snapback]88449[/snapback]​
[/quote]

Ha im going to start reading that one after im done reading The Crucible...

THou must read Dune. [!--emo&:D--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/biggrin.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'biggrin.gif\' /][!--endemo--] I just finished a book called John Lennons' Letters, but it wasn't written by John himself ( as a proof, the last one begins with I was killed on the 8th of December 1980 :wink: ) Even though I'm no great Beatles fan, I love Johns message and the last letter made me cry...

Reading Wilbur Smith's "Monsun". I strongly recommend it! It's about an english mariner in the late 17th century. Wilbur Smith is one of my very favourite authors, and everybody should read some of his works.

Back