NOW READING

This House Is Haunted...

About halfway through. Not a frightening read really, but it certainly makes you think. The fact that the family, most of whom were young children, made such a little ordeal of a flippin' poltergeist is admirable. Also interesting how mundane poltergeist activity could become, things get thrown about and disappear and reappear somewhere else so often that they're all just kinda used to it. Things took an interesting turn in the last few chapters. It's talking. It's so bizarre reading what it has to say and thinking that these words were coming from beyond the grave but talked about in a very matter-of-fact way.

On Saturday, I heard a translation of Poe's The Pit and the Pendulum recited and really enjoyed it. Luckily, I have a collection of his short stories and will attempt to read some of them.

On Saturday, I heard a translation of Poe's The Pit and the Pendulum recited and really enjoyed it. Luckily, I have a collection of his short stories and will attempt to read some of them.
My English teacher came up with the genius theory that the narrator died. Total bollocks and since then I’ve never read another Poe story. He’s fine and dandy but never really been my thing anyway.

Finished This House Is Haunted last night. It was indeed revealed that the children faked some of the happenings, but the investigators realised it was them almost immediately, which made it very unlikely that they had been behind everything else. Kind of an abrupt ending to the case, but I'm still not entirely convinced it didn't happen.

I like that The Conjuring 2 (based on the Enfield case) actually plays with the notion that it all could've been faked. A nice and welcome twist to the "ghost hunting" genre.

I've just started reading Tori Telfer's Lady Killers: Deadly Women Throughout History. So far it's promising to be a very interesting peek into the history of forgotten female serial killers. I've just read the intro, and am about to head into Elizabeth Báthory's chapter.

Finished Elizabeth's chapter, and holy fuck, that was some disturbing shit. I thought I knew stuff about her, but not only I found out that most of what I knew was false, there was also many other things about her I would've never guessed.

Couldn't read yesterday, so I'm heading now into chapter 2, which is about Nannie Doss, so-called "Giggling Granny". Never heard of her.

I picked up some new books from the library. One of them is on the history of "the book", another is about the life and times of Vlad the Impaler (apparently one of the first full-fledged biographies on the man), and the other is Witness To Roswell, an investigation into the most iconic UFO landing* in history.

*Well, if it did happen...

I have started to read What Does This Button Do a while ago. I honestly tried to enjoy it, but it is boring as hell and while I like Bruce a lot, I cannot relate and empathize with the character at all. I'm not sure that I will finish it soon.

Last edited:
I have started to read What Does This Button Do a while ago. I honestly tried to enjoy it, but it is boring as hell and while I like Bruce a lot, I cannot relate and empathize with the character at all. I'm not sure that I will finish it soon.

Kind of agree. His Maiden stuff is interesting, but the choice to never talk about himself or his family on a personal level really makes for a cold, unsympathetic read.

Lethal White.
Not yet, in fact, will start it later tonight. Mrs. M says it's better than the previous two.
Hope so, Silkworm especially was pretty much :wtf:.

I'm going to start this book, hope I like it. It's the author of Solaris: Stanislaw Lem.
41gsTdg0RAL._SX326_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
By pure chance scientists discover a signal from space that could be a statement from rational beings. How can we read this message knowing nothing about the senders? What if we are not even sure whether they exist? "His Master’s Voice" is not a typical book. It lacks an adventure plot, yet the struggle with the mystery rivets readers’ attention more than in many adventure books, especially since the encounter with the un-known provokes elementary questions about the nature of the world, nature of man and reasons for defects of Being. "A fascinating, alarming and occasionally frustrating novel." THE NEW YORK TIMES

I will tell you about it.

I bought myself The Man In The High Castle over the weekend, started it last night. Would've liked to have watched the series but I don't have Amazon Prime, so book it is. Only got a vague idea of the story but the concept is fascinating to me.

Meanwhile I'm still not finished with Lady Killers. Got caught up in some unfinished shows on Netflix (namely The Haunting of Hill House and Chilling Adventures of Sabrina) and almost completely neglected reading. I should probably get back to it.

I bought myself The Man In The High Castle over the weekend, started it last night. Would've liked to have watched the series but I don't have Amazon Prime, so book it is. Only got a vague idea of the story but the concept is fascinating to me.

I read it last year. From me, it has 10/10 for the concept, 7/10 for the story.

Good choice, I hope you like it. Its' better the book to the series at least for me. I've seen the first season and it was some boring. I think there is a movie based in this story featuring Rutger Hauer (Blade Runner) from the 90's.
Anyway, I hope you enjoy it. Pillip K Dick has excellent stories, many of them have been brought to the screen.

More "Now Listening" than "Reading", but I found this very interesting. An unused script for Alien III is being adapted into an audio drama. Michael Biehn returns to play Hicks and although Lance Henriksen's name is on the cover the site I read about this on said Biehn voices Bishop...? I guess that was a typo. Either way, sounds cool. There's a little teaser for it on SoundCloud:

https://soundcloud.com/audible/alien-3-teaser/s-pg6HQ

Back