NOW READING

By the way i m reading the "Invisible Eagle" by Alan Baker, its about the nazi occult and the Aryan civilization links.

just finished reading Dune series now im on the civilization of Egypt as i have just come back from Egypt doing some sight seeing fkin awesome spent one whole week that seemed to last for 1 month so im really digging up the past now

I'm reading The Executioner's Song by Norman Mailer and Nineteen Eighty-Four by George Orwell.

[!--QuoteBegin-tabor+Jan 28 2004, 06:28 AM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(tabor @ Jan 28 2004, 06:28 AM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--] just finished reading Dune series now im on the civilization of Egypt as i have just come back from Egypt doing some sight seeing fkin awesome spent one whole week that seemed to last for 1 month so im really digging up the past now [/quote]
There's really many books on that subject. There is one I read for study by Adolf ERMAN and Hermann RANKE about egyptian civilisation, which is really great to explain everything by fields. For the others good luck on your choice !

I'm currently catching up on schoolwork, which involved reading several articles out of the Journal of Asiatic Studies, as well as reviewing my new D&D 3.5 manuals.

I'm also reading The Colour of Magic by Terry Pratchett.

Astronomy, Geology, German and History Text books! WHOOPY! [!--emo&:rock:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/headbang.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'headbang.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

Tell me then, what kind of boring novels you read... Just for infos.

thanks for the rec Owl ... i have just brought the book and really getting into as i have studied ancient history more on the hatchepsut (sorry about the spelling) alot to cover already went thru one dynasty ill leave it for a little too much in the head....

got the new Stephen lawhead book Patrick so far a good read

The Wealth and Poverty of Nations by David Landes.

It's an interesting take on why the 'West' is stronger than the 'Rest'. It concentrates on economics rather than other factors, but is still decent reading.

I much prefered Guns Germs and Steel by Diamond......but Environmental History is my thing.......so I'm biased.

Cheers,
Iron Duke

Incidently, both books (Landes and Diamond) are available on Amazon for like $25.00 (Canadian dollars)

It's a good bargin if you like this sort of book!

Right now...reading the Atlas of the Celtic World in preparation of a midterm.

Just a reminder.
I do really appreciate you post your readings in this thread. This is why it is made for (quite logic, isn't it ? [!--emo&^_^--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/happy.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'happy.gif\' /][!--endemo--] ).
But could you please, please, PLEASE add also a comment on it.
I mean I started this thread to get ideas for reading in general, but I also wanted to know your likes or dislikes. So could you PLEASE at least summarize the story, or tell why you are enjoying your reading, or why you don't...
Many thanks !

Fair enough, Master Owl. I've been reading two books lately. One is Iron Duke's copy of T.H. White's The Once And Future King. This book is great, I love the fanciful element of it. It's the kind of story I'd read to my children.

The Once and Future King is a story of King Arthur, who although he may or may not have been real, is still one of mythology's greatest figures. The story, I find, is mostly fantasy, though. Almost bastardized legend. Not as bad as The Mists of Avalon though.

Of course, I prefer Jack Whyte's Dream of Eagles cycle to The Once and Future King.

The second book I've been reading is the Dragonlance Campaign Setting for D&D. Call me a nerd if you will, but it provides a nice synopsis of all the novels written. And there are a lot of novels.

I've just started Ordinary Men: Reserve Police Battalion 101 And the Final Solution in Poland, by Chris Browning.

It's for a class, and I've only read the introduction, so I can't offer much commentary yet.

I'm also browsing through Campus Non Mentis by Professor Anders Henriksson. It's a collection of humourous errors Prof. Henriksson and his associates have collected from students' history essays, exams, and papers.

An example is "John Calvin Klein translated the bible into American so the people of Geneva could read it."

it's quite humourous [!--emo&:)--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/smile.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'smile.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

[!--QuoteBegin-IronDuke+Mar 4 2004, 11:46 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(IronDuke @ Mar 4 2004, 11:46 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--] I'm also browsing through Campus Non Mentis by Professor Anders Henriksson. It's a collection of humourous errors Prof. Henriksson and his associates have collected from students' history essays, exams, and papers.

An example is "John Calvin Klein translated the bible into American so the people of Geneva could read it."

it's quite humourous [!--emo&:)--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/smile.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'smile.gif\' /][!--endemo--] [/quote]
It's what we called "students pearls" in french...

As for me, I just began to read a book I had been wanting to read for a long time. It is from an historian, french one specialized in middle ages history : Michel Pastoureau. Translated title : The Devil Cloth or History of Stripes and Stripped Cloth. Stripes in western world, since Middle Ages, have always been linked to devil and trouble. Laws obliged some members of society to wear them to show they were specials : thieves, whores... as a way to make them different, and to be sure they would be seen for what they were : not belonging to the "right" society.
I will be soon able to tell you why metal stripped trousers are so disturbing [!--emo&^_^--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/happy.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'happy.gif\' /][!--endemo--] .

Also, I've got to finish to read another history book : Georges Vigarello, Clean and Dirty or Body Hygiene Since the Middle Ages. This one is fun and interesting... The author is explaining the way people used to consider them clean or not and how they used to clean themselves : bath, powders, clothes and so on.

Both of those sound very interesting! Especially the first, I think that'd be a great read. Do you know if there is an English translation available?

Back