NOW READING

What do you mean by "originally banned book"? I didn't know it was ever banned, by who? why? Anywho, I'm reading Thus Spake Zarathustra by Nietzche. GREAT STUFF!.... if you get it lol

Instead of just throwing book titles and their authors, wouldn't it be better to give a short overview of the content of the book, along with why you like or dislike the book? Try to make people here want to read it too... [!--emo&^_^--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/happy.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'happy.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

Just a suggestion... [!--emo&B)--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/cool.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'cool.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

Well the American Psycho book was banned and only a certain amount of the book was ever published here. I was at a bookstore and there it was. So i picked it up, knowing that the book is banned and also it is the un-edited version so i got a good deal.

If you have seen the movie nothing like the book.. Parts of the book I was kinda disturbed. Chapters of how the guys sliced the pro's and all the other gruesome bits that never made it on the movie. Very Sick writer.

I'm trying to get through "The Lord of the Rings" for the second time.
After that I'll try to read "The Cronicles of Narnia".

I'm not very fond of reading books, but I try.

Along the Pratchett lines again... I have just finished re-reading:-

Feet of Clay

A Discworld Novel

And in Accordance with Maverick's request, I will divulge details of the book.

Highly enjoyable re-read, I'd forgotten the main plot from the first time. This book is highly characteristic of Pratchett and contrasts the style he used in the first one or two Discworld novels (The Colour of Magic in particular was a very strange read). This shown how Terry has changed his style as he has seen his books become one of the biggest series ever (i think its 28 Discworld novels now).

Feet of Clay's main character is Ankh-Morpork City Watch Commander Sir Samuel Vimes. If you have read any other Discworld novels staring aformentioned character (Jingo is a good example), you will know what his character is like. Very anti-authoritarian and no nonsense chap, sort of likable.

Anyway. The books storyline runs thusly - The City Patrician (President/PM) has been poisoned and it is Vimes job to track down howdunnit and whodunnit. Meanwhile two men (a Dwarf Bread museum owner and a Priest) have been killed by a Golum (not from LoTR, like a robot, only made out of clay). These two events sort of interlink to form a final ending.

Highly enjoyable, well worth a read, as with any Terry Pratchett.

The origin of Language by Merritt Ruhlen.

The author tries to demonstrate that all languages are coming from the same primitive mother tongue, which is not obvious and much discussed among linguists.

Nobody needs specific knowledge in linguistic to read that book and the demonstration is so easy to make that it's actually the reader who makes it by himself. Very entertaining and very useful to learn about human pre-history.

Last Friday I ordered 5 books. I should have 'em by Wednesday.

Where Eagles Dare - Ah, you know who wrote it, shooooting Nazi'es! (oh, and a rescue of some officer, too).
Story Of The Eye - bizzarre surrealism (freaky sex, mostly) by George Battaille, should be interesting. [!--emo&^_^--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/happy.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'happy.gif\' /][!--endemo--]
The Fifth Elephant - [!--emo&:bow:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/bowdown.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'bowdown.gif\' /][!--endemo--] Pratchett, I'm a HUGE fan of his books.
13 Days - Clive Ponting, about what caused the WW1, politically etc. (one of my favorite subjects)
The Naked And The Dead - Norman Mailer, a classic, and an eyewitness account of the Invasion of Okinawa, from a soldier in WW2. (If I'm not mistaken)

[!--QuoteBegin--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]Where Eagles Dare - Ah, you know who wrote it, shooooting Nazi'es! (oh, and a rescue of some officer, too).[/quote]

have you seen the film.. i have read lots of Alistair MacClean's. Can I recommend 'Way to Dusty Death' (completely different to where eagles dare)

[!--QuoteBegin--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]The Fifth Elephant - [!--emo&:bow:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/bowdown.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'bowdown.gif\' /][!--endemo--] Pratchett, I'm a HUGE fan of his books.[/quote]

NOW READING [!--emo&:D--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/biggrin.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'biggrin.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

[!--QuoteBegin-dogigniter+May 10 2004, 11:52 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(dogigniter @ May 10 2004, 11:52 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--] have you seen the film.. i have read lots of Alistair MacClean's. Can I recommend 'Way to Dusty Death' (completely different to where eagles dare)

NOW READING [!--emo&:D--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/biggrin.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'biggrin.gif\' /][!--endemo--] [/quote]
Course I've seen the film. It surely holds its ground, even today. It's great.

Nearly finished reading 5'th Elephant. Splendid as usual.
I'm writing down my favorite quotes. [!--emo&^_^--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/happy.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'happy.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

Hello there and thanks to tell us what you're reading.

BUT the wonderful thing would be to explain what is it about and why you like it. The idea is to give ideas to the others, but an informed idea. For example what kind of book it is: Sci-fi? Novel? Anything. What is it talking about? Is the author famous or not and in which country... and so on.

Could you just please not send a name and a title. There is no point in that kind of thread.
The idea is not: "here is what I'm beginning to read", but more: "here's what I just finished reading and why it is so great!"

Thanks

And in swoops Master Owl, for the kill.

I'm midway through re-reading Sir Winston Churchill's The Second World War. This is one of the finer collections on the greatest event of the 20th Century, from a man who was there. Of course, it's totally biased, and not entirely accurate. For instance, Mr. Churchill never mentions the tremendous Ultra effort at Bletchley, but that's due to the fact that when he wrote the books, the codebreaking effort was still classified.

The books give a unique view into what life as a leader of a wartime nation is like. Mr. Churchill takes us from his time as staunch opponent to Mr. Neville Chamberlain's pre-war strategy right to his own ousting as Prime Minister on the eve of the Potsdam Conference. They give us the man's own views on such important events as the US entry to the war, or on some of his decisions, like the one to sack Sir Claude Auchinleck from his role in charge of the Middle East and Eighth Army, and to replace him with Generals Bernard Montgomery (8th Army) and Sir Harold Alexander (Middle East).

If you are interested in the least on the Second World War, delve into Mr. Churchill's writings. You won't regret it.

NR: Clive Ponting - Thirteen Days [!--emo&^_^--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/happy.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'happy.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

Read that one, LooseC? [!--emo&:)--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/smile.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'smile.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

Back