NOW READING

Just got done with tuesdays with Morrie by Mitch Albom. It is the true story of how Mitch reconnected with his old college professor after he learned that he (Morrie) was dying of ALS (Lou Gehrig's disease). It is a book about when you are so close to death it puts things in perspective and you think about what really matters, not money, fame or all the other crap culture throws at you. Instead your friends, family, health, relationships, etc. The biggest lesson of the book is that it is never too late to shift gears and you definitely don't have to be dying to reflect and focus on what matters and what gives you meaning and purpose. Many lessons are similar to those in Man's Search for Meaning by Viktor Frankl, but it is a much easier and shorter read. It has been an instant addition to my pantheon of life changing books, highly recommended.

I FINALLY finished The Three Musketeers by Dumas and I have to say it was NOTHING like what I was expecting. I have very vague memories from the several movie versions I have seen, yet the book reprised not a single one. For starters, none of the movies make mention of the Musketeers having loyal servants, yet they were important if not central to the story as they helped their masters. Also, it was surprising to read it was the Cardinal and not the King who gives d'Artagnan the promotion to Lieutenant. The somewhat sad ending was also a twist for me, with each character going his own way with one joining the priesthood, the other marrying a widow, etc.

I actually liked that is was vastly different from what little I remembered and while not what I was expecting a good read overall. 

I've just finished reading "Devil May Care", the newest novel by Sebastien Faulk.  In this case, he was writing as Ian Fleming.  "Devil May Care" is a James Bond novel, set entirely in the novel's storyline, and it pits Bond against a new foe exporting heroin into the UK and attempting to provoke nuclear war between Russia and the UK.

At the moment I'm reading The Bookseller of Kabul by Asne Seierstad. It's about a family in Afganistan that the author goes to stay with. It's really interesting. It really opened my eyes to the living conditions over there. This family is talked about in the first few chapters as being a wealthy family, but I've just got to the chapter which describes the house they live in and 12 people share a 4 room flat. They sleep on mats and the bathroom is a curtained off part of the kitchen with a hole for the toilet.

The father is a man in his 50s who has just taken a second wife who is still in her teens. He sometimes feels too old for her, but justifies the marriage by thinking that he is offering her a far better standard of living than she otherwise would have been able to afford.

The bride gets no say in who she has to marry. If an older man offers a good enough price, the daughter, if she is a good girl, does not utter an opinion. She just has to marry him. In one of the chapters a young woman is beaten and locked in her room for having met a boy alone in a park simply to have a conversation. This girl brings shame on her family and they force her to marry the boy even though they know he cannot support her financially.

The dress of the women is described in detail. They mostly wear the burka, which seems quite warm, uncomfortable and very restrictive. The grill in the front only allows them to look straight ahead, so if you need to view anything to your left or right you have to turn your head. That way the husband will always know what you are looking at. To me that seems so unfair as a woman I have wider periferal vision than all you chaps out there - and yet I still can't reverse park ironically - and to have it restricted would just be so insulting to me. I know that's not the worst thing these women face, but I didn't want this post to sound too negative. The facts speak for themselves.

It's such an interesting read. I really would recommend it. It's really made me appreciate my own personal freedom. I can walk down the street by myself to go buy a loaf of bread. That is a simple thing to me, but a whole other world to many of these women.

I'm not reading anything at the moment, but last month I finally got a chance to finish The Lizard King: The Essential Jim Morrison. It was really good, and me being a HUGE fan of the Doors and Jim Morrison, I have tried my best to purchase and read almost any novel or biography pertaining to the man him self! Its similar, yet not so similar to the first biography about Morrison, No One Here Gets Out Alive, which was also a good book!

I'm finishing up Bruce Dickinson Flashing Metal With Iron Maiden And Flying Solo by Jhon Shooman. It isn't a must read by any means but if your obsessed with Bruce go for it, I personally thought it was going to be better but it's alright for an unofficial biography. I would have rather read something else since I just recently got back in to reading and being busy it take's forever to finish a book(although this ones pretty short). And on that note any one got good recommendation's on a war book or anything that will keep me on edge.....

revisiting my Sven Hassel books.They're supposedly an account of a German Penal Regiment during WW2.pretty graphic account of the insanity and brutality of mans inhumanity to each other

Just finished The Mallorean, the second series from David and Leigh Eddings (following the Belgariad).  This is probably my favorite fantasy series ever (I've read both series over a dozen times).  It is full of vibrant characters with interesting traits/defects.  It's a classic tale of sorcerers, gods, kings & queens, and adventure.  The second series follows the adventures of the group of heroes as they try to retrieve the main characters son.  Traveling across two continents to do so, running across wars, dragons, demons, and the like. 

If you have never read the Belgariad (and the companion series the Mallorean), and you are a fantasy fan, it is a must! 

Wasted155 said:
Just finished The Mallorean, the second series from David and Leigh Eddings (following the Belgariad).  This is probably my favorite fantasy series ever (I've read both series over a dozen times).

Over a dozen times? I thought you were eager to read new (or other) fantasy literature, or was that Deano?

Oh, I'm eager to try new stuff... but I go back to that series once every year or two... I first read it 22ish years ago.  I usually try to read a novel a week.  This year was slow, maybe only 25-30-- my best year was 60.  I'll usually try to read 3/4 new stuff, and 1/4 stuff that I have already read. 

That's very often, Wasted155! I don't read so much anymore, due to the watching of films.

Still I'd like to take some space for the following book: This post consists of my opinion on and quotes of
Europe at War 1939-1945: No Simple Victory (2006) by Norman Davies.

I, born and raised in the free and democratic West, thought I was well informed on the basics of WWII:

The Allied Powers defeated the Nazi regime. Allies good versus Nazi evil. The Americans and other Western nations defeated the armies of Hitler (especially because of D-Day, the biggest battle of WWII), coming in from the West. The USSR came from the East and together (50/50) the job was done. Concentration camps were liberated.

End of the story. It’s that simple. No doubt about it.

For many years I had this main perspective, which I already learnt on primary school. I thought I was ready to focus on singular events. Operations like D-Day and other battles close to my country were always very interesting. Lately I read a biography about one of my favourite actors, James Stewart, who served as a bomber pilot. The story about him was admirable. He was very good for his men, very careful in preparing every mission and he was a great pilot. Hardly a word about what happened below the plane. I admit that this was not necessary because the book was about him, and the people he worked with. Still it made me curious. What went on in Germany? What happened further in the East?

Did I learn nothing at school then? Well, I knew that the Cold War followed. I knew that countries like Poland were never really “liberated”. And I knew that Stalin was a tyrant.

This book has really brought everything to the right proportions. It is immensely informative, not strictly about military events. It ranges from interpretation to warfare, politics, soldiers, civilians and portrayals.

I guess I have been influenced by what the French call lieux de mémoire: historical sites and events which appeal to the collective memory so powerfully that they exclude or minimize all others.

Some examples:
- In the USA, Pearl Harbour and Omaha Beach
- In Britain, the Miracle of Dunkirk
- In Jewish history, Auschwitz
- In the Soviet story, Leningrad and Stalingrad

According to Davies “these near sacred subjects actively obstruct the broader vision and discriminating approach that are so badly needed.”

Patriotism doesn’t help much either when trying to see the big picture. Davies says that it can frequently be observed in the work of historians. What I also like about this book is that he describes how historical writing evolved:

“Under pressure from the philosophical trends of deconstructionism and postmodernism, historians lost confidence in their ability to undertake impartial analysis or to write coherent narrative”.  And:

“Faced with torrents of unimaginable data, historians sought refuge in ultra-specialization. In the field of Second World War studies, none of these trends worked in favour of building new consensus.” 

Davies picks out several works written about WWII. Authors, titles, what they write about and at times how they write. It serves as a guide to orientate for future readings. I probably won’t look forward to books by Stephen Ambrose (in the 1990s he became the “historian of the hour”). He was influential, and the biographist of Eisenhower. But “he accompanied his interest in the qualities of the American GI with an ideological stance holding that democracies raise the best soldiers” And “..he represents a form of Americocentrism that most non-Americans would instinctively reject”.

Also a universal message of Paul Fussel is presented: "The Allied part of the war of 1939-1945 has been sanitized and romanticized beyond recognition by the sentimental, the loony patriotic, the ignorant and the bloodthirsty".

Historians should stop with flattering the British or the American market. D-Day does not figure among the top ten biggest battles. Still some historians write 50 pages about it and spend 5 lines on the most decisive battle of WWII, namely the battle of Kursk.

“Sooner or later people will have to adjust to the fact that the Soviet role was enormous and the Western role respectable but modest.”

“Western commentators who accept the fact of Soviet predominance in the land war sometimes try to counterbalance it by stressing Western predominance in the air and at sea This argument would carry greater weight if the air offensive had achieved more decisive results, and if Germany had been more vulnerable to naval operations. As it was the Reich held out successfully against bombardments and blockade. And it was only finished off by the land assault to which the Red Army made by far the most effective contribution.”

Until here the proportions. Now the evaluation of criminality.

“…the main obstacle to an impartial exposé of wartime criminality does not lie exclusively in the poor flow rate of information. It has a psychological dimension. It has been compounded by the reluctance of Western historians to stain the reputation of the Allied coalition. The psychological term for such a reluctance is ‘denial’….”

“..a word needs to be said about the weasel phrase of ‘collateral damage’. In all official statements, spokesmen of the British or American bomber commands always regretted civilian losses, whilst maintaining that the aim was to hit military and industrial targets. This reasoning , however, does not withstand examination. Vast bombing fleets of 1000 aircraft or more were in their vary nature incapable of confining their targets to particular factories, railway junctions or military installations. They were sent to obliterate whole cities, in which it was perfectly well known in advance that the great majority of inhabitants were innocent civilians. The civilian deaths, therefore, were in no sense accidental or collateral. They were one of the integral and calculated consequences of misguided operations, which to continue to stain the reputation of the authors.”

A big part of the book grabs the atrocities of the two Totalitarian States, Germany and “our” biggest ally, the USSR. Shocking to read but necessary to do in order to understand the big picture which shows us that WWII certainly was “No Simple Victory”.

This book was very convincing, powerfully argued and (I can't say it enough) very, very informative. He tells things which some others omit, and he does that well. Certainly an inspiration for future historians.

I think that most readers will find their thinking enriched and stimulated by new facts and viewpoints, or perhaps even rethink their view of the war altogether.

I’d like to conclude with a quote from Michael Cook’s review:

“Bubble-bursting conclusions like this keep tumbling out of the pages of Davies’s book. He concludes that it was the Soviet Union which defeated the Nazi war machine, with the British and Americans providing little more than “a sound supporting role” in the European theatre. Lest he seem a revisionist leftist or left-over Stalinist or a cranky anti-American, he is not. As an Oxford don who made his reputation with God’s Playground, a fine history of Poland, he simply wants a history stripped of nationalistic bias. Europe at War is the latest installment in his efforts to emphasise the importance of the “peripheries” in contemporary history.

Davies’s survey opens with the apparently simple issue of when the war began. A new memorial in Washington DC, which was built for the sixtieth anniversary of its conclusion, bears the words “World War Two, 1941-45”. The Poles, the British, the Norwegians, the French, the Dutch, the Belgians and the Danes, amongst others, feel differently. Michael Caine, the British actor, is said to have withdrawn his children from an American school when they told him that the war began in 1941.

A balanced viewpoint matters. Unless the United States, the world’s dominant power at the moment, acknowledges the sufferings and contributions made by other countries in the past, it is sure to misjudge their motives and reactions in the present. After reading Europe at War, the American reaction to 9/11 immediately springs to mind. Davies points out that the human and material losses sustained by the Poles in 1944 Warsaw Rising were 60 times as great as New York suffered on 11 September 2001 – “a World Trade Center disaster every day for two months”. Some European countries endured suffering for which there are no words – and no Hollywood movies. Britain’s civilian losses amounted to 0.1 per cent of its population. This was lamentable, but how can it be compared to 18 per cent in Poland and 25 per cent in Byelorussia?”

Foro, when it comes to Davies, he is a very good historian (and absolutely right on the nature of most of the war being fought in the east), but all histories have bias.  There's never any such thing as a work of writing removed from bias.  Some are closer than others (ie, most American histories love to gloss over the Eastern Front, whereas most European histories now are very good in recognizing who killed most of the German soldiers.

Very interesting read there, Foro.  I might check that out.  I like to learn more about history-- which makes this a great forum, I've learned many things in the last year that I never knew (thanks all!)

And, yes, I love to read-- its been a long year, but, luckily, I have a pretty good selection of books that I haven't had a chance to read yet.  I'm gonna throw one out there-- anyone interested in 'alternate history'?

'1812' is a book by Eric Flint, I've read it twice.  It follows the stories revolving around the war of 1812, but it makes one small change in history-- actually, it is so small, that you wouldn't think it could make any difference at all, however, it becomes huge.  I won't tell you what the change is, to spoil the story, but American history is significantly altered (which continues with his second book 1824).  The author has put this book on the publisher's website for free to read, if anyone is interested.

LooseCannon said:
but all histories have bias.  There's never any such thing as a work of writing removed from bias.

I agree. But symphaties of the authors can best proceed to the stage of personal opinion only after facts and analysis have been correctly distinguished and presented.

Thaks for the tip, wasted!
Did any of you read The Cruel Sea? I am interested in reading this novel.

I recently finished American Gods by Neil Gaiman. It's an odd but cleverly written book with a plot too weird for me to even try to summarize. It's based on the premise that every every god and deity that mankind has dreamed up at any point is real, and many have immigrated to america with their followers and have over time found themselves assimilated or displaced. It's a deep book and a fun read, I'd recommend it to anyone who likes Neil Gaiman, Stephen King or Philip K Dick.

I've also read several comic books and graphic novels lately, including Y: The Last Man, V for Vendetta and an issue of Sandman. Sandman I recommend to anyone. Probably the best comic book I've read after Swamp Thing and Watchmen.

The 30 or so and last 5 issues of Y: The Last Man are brilliant, but the last third of the series isn't as strong. Still, I'd suggest that anyone who likes Alan Moore comics or anything by Vertigo reads this series. The series follows the adventure of the last man on Earth after a mysterious plague kills every mammal with a Y chromosome.

V for Vendetta is brilliantly written, but for any fans of the movie, it's slower, more complex, and less action-heavy. Overall I'd say that V is one of the best-written anti-heroes in modern literature.

After telling D&N that he needs to try the Honor Harrington series by David Weber, I decided to try them out again.  I first read On Basilisk Station a little over 10 years ago, and hadn't revisited it since then.  So, over the last several weeks, I started with that one, and worked my way through the last one in the series.  I love it.  It is definitely a sci-fi/military saga, so if you don't like either of those genre's then you may not like this one.  The title character is a female (space) Navy commander who takes charge of her first true command.  She has to deal with crew morale, idiot superiors, and an interesting political atmosphere (a constitutional monarchy).  As the series progresses, it isn't the dramatic space battles, the futuristic ships, tech, or interplanetary travel that make this so appealing to me.  What does grow on me is the main character's sense of presence-- she is a great hero, because she doesn't want to be a hero.  If you like sci-fi, this author is a great one, and I would recommend all of his series'.

I finished Osama TioSam (Uncle Sam Loves Us) by Rius (Eduardo del Rio), a satiricle/political cartoonist from Mexico. I cannot recommend this book enough. It essentially rips the U.S a new one calling them out on all their crimes against humanity (Hiroshima, Nagasaki, Vietnam and Iraq to name the most well known). It's basic thesis is that the U.S was a victim of it's own invention (9/11), state terrorism. It details how since its inception the U.S has basicaly used the world as it's farm, playground and toilet. I tried looking for an English version and surprise surprise Amazon says "currently unavailable," but if you know Spanish PICK IT UP.

A finished John Grisham's The Innocent Man like a week ago or so and I have to say it is a very depressing and tragic story. The story of Ron Williamson, a man who had a brilliant high school baseball career and a lot of promise of making the majors, is wrongly accused of murder. That of course, was only insult to injury as he never panned out even at the single 'A' level of baseball and had become the town drunk/bum and was succumbing to his mental illness, which only got worse during his 11 year prison stay. 5 days before his execution date he was awarded a new trial... It is insane how the judicial system works, according to Grisham innocent people get convicted on a monthly basis...

He would have been executed had it not been for a small group of amazing people that saw right through the bullshit that was his initial trial and fought hard for his appeal. Given that he was homeless and virtually unemployed it was the wonderful group of social workers and pro bono lawyers, something rather rare as his initial trial showed, indigent folks get shitty representation and help more often than not.

Just read Nathanael West's novella, Miss Lonelyhearts.  It's about an unnamed guy who writes the advice column in a New York paper and his editor, Shrike, who is a cross between Iago and Milton's Satan.  It's one of the darkest, most misanthropic works I've ever read, and unbelievably well written.  Not a single word is superfluous.  I loved it, and I'll probably read it again soon, since it will only take a couple of hours.

I am re-reading Jonathan Safran Foer's Extremely Loud And Incredibly Close right now. I found it behind my bookcase and was eager to give it another go. I'm a big fan of his writing (His first novel Everything is Illuminated is among my favourite books of all time) but when I first read it, I couldn't give it the time it truly deserves. Brilliant literative styles employed by the writer, so if you're a person that thinks a book is a book, you won't like it. He uses stream of consciousness, non-linear time shifting and a lot of different devices. And I don't think it's to test the reader or to be something it's not. I think this postmodernist approach is genuinely trying to convey broader images than those that are normally explained through regular text.

For example, there are some blank pages dotted throughout. There are strange type settings in which the text gets smaller and smaller and the letters bleed into each other and there is the seemingly poetic use of type setting where the text is spaced strangely throughout a page. The last pages of a book is a flipbook of the Falling Man, but reversed, to give the impression that he's floating up.

It has an earnest narrator in the form of a nine year old boy and it attempts to deal with the events of 9/11 through his narration, epistolary form (Letters from his grandmother) and recurrent images.

It's a truly brilliant book to read and I seriously recommend it. :)

Forostar said:
Did any of you read The Cruel Sea? I am interested in reading this novel.

Never judge a book by it's cover, because when I first picked up the Cruel Sea, I didn't think there'd be any surprises. I thought I'd want to put it down after a few pages. But I was quietly astonished with it. To me, it's the Little Book That Could. It's so much more than a novel based on a convoy ship, it conveys stories of friendship and strength. It picks up on the broader theme of war and doesn't make it seem attractive. It portrays it as the horror it is. If you're particularly into naval books, then it's really for you... but I'd recommend it to anyone, because in my opinion, no other book conveys the war at sea better.

Back