NOW READING

[!--QuoteBegin-hazardous_id+Feb 14 2005, 08:15 AM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(hazardous_id @ Feb 14 2005, 08:15 AM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]Da Vinci Code for the second time [!--emo&:blush:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/blush.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'blush.gif\' /][!--endemo--] .. almost finished it
[snapback]97863[/snapback]​
[/quote]

I beg you (and all others who read this book) to read "Cracking the Da Vinci Code." This book seperates historical fact from Dan Brown's fiction. I've had enough with people telling me "did you know Jesus and Mary Magdalene were married?" ARRRGGGGH. So please, in the name of scholarly research, read the book mentioned. [!--emo&:D--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/biggrin.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'biggrin.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

Shake Hands With the Devil: The Failure of Humanity in Rwanda

By Lieutenant-General (ret) Romeo Dallaire, the commander of the UN mission in Rwanda during the 1994 genocide. His mission was plagued from the start by the UN bureaucrats in New York being so single-minded and uncaring about the fate of the tiny African nation.

Around 800,000 people were killed, and the UN still refused to let the poorly-suppied Canadian and Belgian (and other countires) force help them at all.
The recent film "Hotel Rwanda" was based mostly on General Dallaire's book.

Ive recently read Magician, If you like LOTR then this is a must!

read some fantasy book, i am now reading Wheel of time I and Dune 6:children of dune II. They are both great, deppends what you like, cos i am just a stupid kid, not like you older and intelectual people. [!--emo&:huh:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/huh.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'huh.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

also, Tolkien is a logical choice if you are fantasy fan, but you have probably read it.

what are you talking about a children of dune II? From my kn owledge there's no such thing. THe sixth chapter of dune is Chapterhouse:Dunei. Anyways, I'm reading Captain Grant's CHildren and Erick von Dainiken's Rememberings about the past (don't really know the name in english). Very intresenting theories.

[!--QuoteBegin-veshko+Mar 6 2005, 06:38 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(veshko @ Mar 6 2005, 06:38 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]read some fantasy book, i am now reading Wheel of time I and Dune 6:children of dune II. They are both great, deppends what you like, cos i am just a stupid kid, not like you older and intelectual people. [!--emo&:huh:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/huh.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'huh.gif\' /][!--endemo--]
[snapback]99282[/snapback]​
[/quote]
The idea here is not to be "intellectual", but to share your readings whatever it is. As everyone knows everything is a question of taste and point of view...

[!--QuoteBegin-Black Ace+Mar 12 2005, 07:14 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Black Ace @ Mar 12 2005, 07:14 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]what are you talking about a children of dune II? From my kn owledge there's no such thing. THe sixth chapter of dune is Chapterhouse:Dunei. Anyways, I'm reading Captain Grant's CHildren and Erick von Dainiken's Rememberings about the past (don't really know the name in english). Very intresenting theories.
[snapback]99717[/snapback]​
[/quote]
In serbia, its translated children of dune 1,2 for fifth and six part. also the movie is called children of dune, i watched it few weeks ago.

Just finished "Sound of the Beast: The official headbanging history of Heavy Metal."
Or something like that. With a name that long it's easy to screw up.

Also reading "All Quiet on the Western Front."

[!--QuoteBegin-Scream for me Stockholm+Aug 15 2004, 04:12 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Scream for me Stockholm @ Aug 15 2004, 04:12 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]I'm actually right up in "Run to the Hills"!! [!--emo&:)--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/smile.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'smile.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

I havn't taken me time before to read it all, just some pieces of it....
[snapback]83059[/snapback]​
[/quote]

Finished that, kind of disappointed. Found it to be a pretty boring historical timeline. I wanted to hear stories of blowing coke and waking up with multiple 18-year-old chicks.

Currently reading Confederate Mobile - A history of Mobile, Alabama during the Civil War.

A book I highly recomend reading is Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole. It has nothing to do with the Civil War, but it's F'ing hilarious. You might have to be somewhat familiar with the city of New Orleans to appreciate it, but I've read 100's of books, and this is the only one I can ever remember laughing out loud at. By far the best book I have ever read.

I'm not reading anything, but I'd like to ask a question.
Why on Earth is "The Da Vinci Code" so popular? [img src=\'http://www.metal-rules.com/bb/images/smiles/confused.gif\' border=\'0\' alt=\'user posted image\' /] I thought it was terribly mediocre.

I'm not sure I want to answer that [!--emo&:D--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/biggrin.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'biggrin.gif\' /][!--endemo--] Not that I don't know, but I already know what your response is going to be and I don't think it's worth it....

Anywho, I'm reading iBook G4 User's Guide. Even though I've had my laptop/notebook/whatever they're called today for almost a year I finally decided to read the manual, and while I already knew a lot of the stuff in it I am discovering way more than I thought I would. Good read [!--emo&:D--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/biggrin.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'biggrin.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

[!--QuoteBegin-MexicanBurtReynolds+May 8 2005, 04:36 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(MexicanBurtReynolds @ May 8 2005, 04:36 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]Finished that, kind of disappointed.  Found it to be a pretty boring historical timeline.  I wanted to hear stories of blowing coke and waking up with multiple 18-year-old chicks.

Currently reading Confederate Mobile - A history of Mobile, Alabama during the Civil War.

A book I highly recomend reading is Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole.  It has nothing to do with the Civil War, but it's F'ing hilarious.  You might have to be somewhat familiar with the city of New Orleans to appreciate it, but I've read 100's of books, and this is the only one I can ever remember laughing out loud at.  By far the best book I have ever read.
[snapback]103880[/snapback]​
[/quote]

I found Run To The Hills a fantastic read, and it acctually got me into reading again! I went onto the Da Vinci Code after that, and i was so impressed with this book that i bought Dan Browns other books and read them all. I have now been going at Lord Of The Rings for a month or two, really enjoying it, and im not half way through return of the king. I have not become bored of this book at all. The more i read, the more i want! To the extent ive bought other tolkien books and cant wait to read them.

[!--QuoteBegin-Onhell+Jun 9 2005, 03:22 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Onhell @ Jun 9 2005, 03:22 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]I'm not sure I want to answer that [!--emo&:D--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/biggrin.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'biggrin.gif\' /][!--endemo--] Not that I don't know, but I already know what your response is going to be and I don't think it's worth it....
[snapback]107980[/snapback]​
[/quote]
The book seems to be popular with people who don't read. Anything.

If by "don't read anything" you mean they read pop lit and tv guide.... you are probably right, but then again that's most people. I guess I'll answer you anyway [!--emo&:D--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/biggrin.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'biggrin.gif\' /][!--endemo--]. The book became popular because it revived people's interest in religion and in Christ's life (both things you don't care about at all). The book relied on old, VERY old, theories long discarded by the Vatican that the "Holy Grail" is in reality Christ's daughter mothered by Mary Magdalaine and the holy blood line that came forth. Dan Brown cleverly mixed old rumors with real history to create a compelling novel which from what I hear was entertaining because it also involved (like all his novels.. talk about formulaic) codes, cracking codes and different ways of writing them etc. He got both good and bad publicity. Fanatics condemed him saying how could he say such outrageous things but most, including clergy, were very happy with his book because it got people curious again, and asking questions, not to mention spawing a show on the History channel "Cracking the Da Vinci Code" two (at least) books of similar titles, book clubs and a highly adicting code breaking hunt online. In a nut shell, what is what creates the most controversy at the dinner table? Politics and Religion, so a novel about religion usually ruffles a few feathers if it gets as popular as the Da Vinci code.

I read The Chase after the meteor by Jules Vernes in 3 days(!) wich is pretty amazing, considering that I received it as a prize at the end of the 5th grade and now I've just finished the 8th grade. Very good read. Shows some really weird things that could happen if a meteor made totally out of solid gold would orbit around the earth... Makes ya wonder

I just finished reading Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury

pretty interesting...the whole thing's symbolic of censorship & all that jazz

That was an awesome book... fahrenheit that is, the movie was crappy as hell hehe, 1950's "futuristic" attempt where you could see the wires [!--emo&:D--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/biggrin.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'biggrin.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

I'm reading SIMS by F. Paul Wilson. It is about our not-so-distant future where a corporation has created a new species, it genetically engineered chimps to look more human, larger brains for speach (and some bone in the throat that is vital for speach as well) less hairy than chimps, taller etc and rents them as cheap labor. The book goes on to takle issues as, are Sims animals or humans? do they deserve unalienable rights? the company considers them PROPERTY... in other words slaves. You have your typical religious BS that they are the devil's work blah blah blah, groups similar to PETA fighting to free them etc. I'm a little less than half way through so I'll post again.

Back