NOW READING

You should. That book is scary as hell in a very psychological and creepy sense. The formatting tricks (different colors and fonts, text spinning on the page, or in other bizarre shapes, etc) make this a book you will want a new copy of, not something that has been pawed over at the library. Enjoy!
Thanks for the recommendation. Interesting that you’ve also just read Murakami, I’m reading Norwegian Wood.

Thanks for the recommendation. Interesting that you’ve also just read Murakami, I’m reading Norwegian Wood.

Murakami is great. My favorites are Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World, Wind-up Bird Chronicle, Dance Dance Dance, and Kafka on the Shore. [I like the weirder ones.]

Murakami is great. My favorites are Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World, Wind-up Bird Chronicle, Dance Dance Dance, and Kafka on the Shore. [I like the weirder ones.]
Totally agree about the first two, plus the trilogy of the Rat (of which Dance Dance Dance is the fourth). The Elephant Vanishes (short stories collection) has some great stuff as well. The Strange Library is a short but quite disturbing gem.

Dracula is one of the best written books of all time, IMO. Forget what's happening - using letters and diary entries and what have you to form the story was a stroke of genius on Stoker's part. Great novel as a whole, quite a gripping tale.

The storytelling device was certainly not new, but I can say that I find Stoker’s use of it quite fantastic. Lovecraft, of whom I am a huge fan, wasn’t nearly as good at weaving a tale in the same manner (though he was better at conjuring genuinely frightening images).

It makes for an interesting question though: What will happen first, Iron Maiden playing ATG live, or GRRM releasing The Winds of Winter?

Back